What's new

Chief of Naval Staff Discloses New Procurements: Shallow Water Attack Submarines, MALE UAVs & a new Helicopter Fleet

TheDebSahab

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

The Chief of Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy Admiral Amjad Khan Niazi recently held a wide-ranging interview with international media network the Global Times. Although he talked about a variety of stuff, a few things that stood out were revelations that the Pakistan Navy is procuring “Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance unmanned combat aerial vehicles” from China. This would point to the earlier news we broke of Pakistan buying CH-4 MALE attack drones from China.

He also disclosed that aside from the eight Type 039B AIP attack submarines Pakistan is constructing with China, Pakistan is also procuring new “shallow-water attack submarines”. We believe this may be from a European country.

The CNS also revealed that the Pakistan Navy is acquiring a new modern helicopter fleet.

All these are in addition to the 4x Type 054AP frigates, 10x jet Sea Sultan Long-Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA), 8x Type 039B AIP submarines, new Fast Attack Craft (Missile) boats, RAS-72 Sea Eagle MPAs, Missile systems and 4x MIlGEM-Class Corvettes and new Offshore Patrol Vessels the Pakistan Navy is acquiring.

The CNS also said The Pakistan Navy development strategy is based on “progressive capability enhancement” to create a balanced, potent, and combat-ready force to meet evolving threats.

The CNS said, “It is heartening to know that the PLA Navy now operates two aircraft carriers. The PN would like to conduct an exercise with these carriers whenever an opportunity arises.”
heli-1068x710.jpeg

Acquisition of Modern Helicopter Fleet is much needed for Special operations at sea may it be rescue or anti piracy. Not to mention advance support for Anti Ship Operations

• Would certainly consider the Helicopters offered by Italian counter parts, 20 Units would be ideal addition to help retire some of the older Helicopters in fleet

Auxiliary Patrol craft would be nice like the ones Turkey is making i.e. UAV

This new helicopter fleet has been in PN modernization plan for quite sometime now. However, as much as I want the AW-101 wear PN livery, I think it might not come to fruition as its compatibility with the surface vessels may be an issue. Possible solution will remain Chinese platforms, much away from my own preference.

This new helicopter fleet has been in PN modernization plan for quite sometime now. However, as much as I want the AW-101 wear PN livery, I think it might not come to fruition as its compatibility with the surface vessels may be an issue. Possible solution will remain Chinese platforms, much away from my own preference.
what are the chinese options? Z-20f??

Last edited:

The Chief of Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy Admiral Amjad Khan Niazi recently held a wide-ranging interview with international media network the Global Times. Although he talked about a variety of stuff, a few things that stood out were revelations that the Pakistan Navy is procuring “Medium-Altitude Long-Endurance unmanned combat aerial vehicles” from China. This would point to the earlier news we broke of Pakistan buying CH-4 MALE attack drones from China.

He also disclosed that aside from the eight Type 039B AIP attack submarines Pakistan is constructing with China, Pakistan is also procuring new “shallow-water attack submarines”. We believe this may be from a European country.

The CNS also revealed that the Pakistan Navy is acquiring a new modern helicopter fleet.

All these are in addition to the 4x Type 054AP frigates, 10x jet Sea Sultan Long-Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA), 8x Type 039B AIP submarines, new Fast Attack Craft (Missile) boats, RAS-72 Sea Eagle MPAs, Missile systems and 4x MIlGEM-Class Corvettes and new Offshore Patrol Vessels the Pakistan Navy is acquiring.

The CNS also said The Pakistan Navy development strategy is based on “progressive capability enhancement” to create a balanced, potent, and combat-ready force to meet evolving threats.

The CNS said, “It is heartening to know that the PLA Navy now operates two aircraft carriers. The PN would like to conduct an exercise with these carriers whenever an opportunity arises.”View attachment 716770

If we need choppers for MILGEM, Type 054 and Yarmook, it will never be in AW101 size.

So PN has two different helicopter requirements in my opinion. One is for shipborne ASW choppers to compliment Z-9C and replace SA-319s while another for shore based, longer range ASW/Spec Ops chopper to replace Sea Kings.

For shipborne, it makes the most sense to buy additional Z-9s to augment ones already in service. These will also be able to fit on the deck and hanger of both Type 54A and Milgem class frigates. Seems like a no-brainer there.

The more interesting choice will be to replace the Sea King. Since the US declined to supply the PAF with UH-60s (that led to AW-139) ... they will similarly decline SH-60 to the navy. That leaves really 2-3 options, ie. AW101, NH90 (NFH) & EC725 (unlikely now due to its French connection). Interestingly both AW101 and NH90 are now under the same parent company, Leonardo. My money is on AW101 but lets see how it plays out.

One out of the box option could be a marinized version of AW139 that we already have in service with PAF and PAA. In theory it should be able to have all the gizmos a Lynx carries but with commonality with aircraft in service already.

PN should go for single type with local production . Last we know pn is looking to buy 27 examples of z20 is picked army might also be interested and then the order could quadrapul.

I think PN should go for z20

So PN has two different helicopter requirements in my opinion. One is for shipborne ASW choppers to compliment Z-9C and replace SA-319s while another for shore based, longer range ASW/Spec Ops chopper to replace Sea Kings.

For shipborne, it makes the most sense to buy additional Z-9s to augment ones already in service. These will also be able to fit on the deck and hanger of both Type 54A and Milgem class frigates. Seems like a no-brainer there.

The more interesting choice will be to replace the Sea King. Since the US declined to supply the PAF with UH-60s (that led to AW-139) ... they will similarly decline SH-60 to the navy. That leaves really 2-3 options, ie. AW101, NH90 (NFH) & EC725 (unlikely now due to its French connection). Interestingly both AW101 and NH90 are now under the same parent company, Leonardo. My money is on AW101 but lets see how it plays out.

One out of the box option could be a marinized version of AW139 that we already have in service with PAF and PAA. In theory it should be able to have all the gizmos a Lynx carries but with commonality with aircraft in service already.

What is difference between AW-101 & NH-90?

Also PN should look latest trend in navies of using UAVs as maritime payroll & sub hunters.

What is difference between AW-101 & NH-90?

Also PN should look latest trend in navies of using UAVs as maritime payroll & sub hunters.

AW101 is a direct successor to the Sea King and was developed jointly by UK and Italy, while NH90 was initiated around the same time by France, Germany, Italy and Netherlands.

This is a good site to read briefly on both. NH90, esp has been in the news for teething issues as well as costly to run but both are good machines.

From what I was told, the PN would prefer a S-70/UH-60-sized helicopter to cover all main naval needs -- i.e., ship-based operation, AShW, and ASW. In fact, the PN sought the UH-60 back with the OHPs, and obviously, those didn't go through. The next option along those lines is the NH-90 NFH, but the French would probably scuttle it (as they manufacture some key inputs).

This basically leaves the PN to bifurcate between a lightweight (i.e., Z-9EC or AW159) and a heavyweight (i.e., AW101). Obviously, Leonardo would love to sign a deal, but that would easily be a $1.2 billion-plus program (e.g., 12 AW159s and 4-6 AW101s) Not sure if Leonardo can secure Pakistan a loan to finance it while we're in FATF land.

From what I was told, the PN would prefer a S-70/UH-60-sized helicopter to cover all main naval needs -- i.e., ship-based operation, AShW, and ASW. In fact, the PN sought the UH-60 back with the OHPs, and obviously, those didn't go through. The next option along those lines is the NH-90 NFH, but the French would probably scuttle it (as they manufacture some key inputs).

This basically leaves the PN to bifurcate between a lightweight (i.e., Z-9EC or AW159) and a heavyweight (i.e., AW101). Obviously, Leonardo would love to sign a deal, but that would easily be a $1.2 billion-plus program (e.g., 12 AW159s and 4-6 AW101s) Not sure if Leonardo can secure Pakistan a loan to finance it while we're in FATF land.
Why not Z18 or Z20 navel version sir?

Back
Top Bottom