What's new

Chief of Army Staff | General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air Chiefs dont need to be tall and overly muscular. some of the best pilots out there are medium height and not ''portly''

for tall and/or larger frame people, when ur pulling even 4-5Gs, the distance from your heart to your brain is higher, meaning more likelihood to get 'sleepy'

Air Chiefs dont need to be tall and overly muscular. some of the best pilots out there are medium height and not ''portly''

for tall and/or larger frame people, when ur pulling even 4-5Gs, the distance from your heart to your brain is higher, meaning more likelihood to get 'sleepy'

I was talking about being really, really slim.

October 25, 2010

Powell meets with Pakistan army chief

Another tea leaf? Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell held a private meeting with Pakistan's powerful army chief of staff Gen. Ashfaq Perveiz Kayani in Washington last week, Powell's spokesperson confirmed to POLITICO.

Powell had a private meeting with the Pakistani military leader on October 21st, Powell's spokesperson Peggy Cifrino said.

Kayani was in town for a meeting of the U.S.-Pakistan Strategic Dialogue.

Powell and Kayani discussed "matters pertaining to peace and stability in the region and security situation," Pakistan's GEO TV reported.

Meantime, Pakistani Defense Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar met with Powell's longtime associate and friend former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage as well as with former Clinton-era Defense Secretary William Cohen, Geo TV said.

President Barack Obama dropped in on some of the U.S.-Pakistan Strategic Dialogue on October 20th, after meeting with his full national security team on Afghanistan and Pakistan. Obama told the Pakistani leaders he planned to visit Pakistan next year (he visits Pakistani rival India next month).

Some South Asia hands wondered if Powell might be serving as something of a back-channel for Obama to the Pakistani military chief. While departing National Security Advisor Jim Jones has played the role of a presidential envoy to Pakistan and other countries for Obama, his White House send-off party was last week.

Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had a good working relationship with Kayani's predecessor, former Army Chief of Staff and later Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, including from his time as George W. Bush's Secretary of State, a former U.S. South Asia hand said. The U.S.-Pakistani relationship often relies heavily on contacts between the U.S. chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Pakistani army chief.

Current chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen also has developed a tight working relationship with Gen. Kayani. But Bob Woodward's Obama's Wars portrays Mullen as having a somewhat more strained relationship with the Obama White House.

One South Asia hand posited that part of the portrayal may be due to the fact that Mullen did not appear to talk to Woodward for the book. (But some episodes in the book do seem to be informed by Mullen, by my reading.)

Whatever the case, Mullen formally refused a signed copy of the book that Woodward had sent him.

On Oct. 9th, "Mullen dispatched 'a senior aide to my house to return the signed copy,'" Woodward told the Washington Post's Al Kamen. "The aide offered 'no explanation of why the book was being sent back,' Woodward said, nor did he 'claim there were any inaccuracies. The chairman just plans not to read it.' The book's spine was uncracked."

Woodward’s book meantime portrays Powell as consulting with Obama from time to time, including about his policy to Afghanistan and Pakistan and navigating his relationship with the military. Woodward describes Powell writing an e-mail to then ISAF Commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal when the White House felt that McChrystal was trying to box the president in by publicly lobbying for more U.S. troops.

Another potential sore point as portrayed by Woodward is that Mullen initiated the recommendation that Obama replace the four-star Gen. David McKiernan serving as ISAF commander with McChrystal -- only after the new Obama adminstration had already completed its first Afpak policy review in the spring of 2009 and agreed to send some 17,000 more U.S. troops which McKiernan had requested.

Shortly after McKiernan was subsequently fired and McChrystal took over as the commander in Afghanistan, the White House learned that McChrystal would be asking for as many as 40,000 additional U.S. troops.

Four grenades found near GHQ

Four hand grenades have been recovered from a drainage near the Pakistan Army Headquarters. According to security sources, the security forces were on their routine surveillance when after a random search they found four grenades in a drainage near by, which were diffused at once by the bomb disposal squad and the entire area was cordoned off .
The security has been on high alert after this incidence, and the police along with the security forces started their search operation for the culprits.

Four hand grenades have been recovered from a drainage near the Pakistan Army Headquarters. According to security sources, the security forces were on their routine surveillance when after a random search they found four grenades in a drainage near by, which were diffused at once by the bomb disposal squad and the entire area was cordoned off .
The security has been on high alert after this incidence, and the police along with the security forces started their search operation for the culprits.

not cool at all.....

good work to those who found it.

Army chief returns from US visit

ISLAMABAD: Chief of the Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has returned home Tuesday on conclusion of his official visit to US.

Military sources told his visit to US remained productive and he represented Pakistan in working groups related to defence and military matters during Pak-US strategic talks. He also held meetings with US defence secretary Robert Gates, admiral Mike Mullen, US army chief George Cassey on the sidelines of strategic talks.

Gen Kayani held talks with US military authorities with reference to requirements of Pakistan army which remained successful.

Amy chief has succeeded in seeking categorical assurances from US top leadership in regard to acquisition of high tech equipments, modern technology and weapons for Pakistan army.

what do we make of Kiyani's visit to US this time around for the SD - last year he was the 'star of the show' but this time around he has stayed in the b/ground, subdued from what i gather!:coffee:any comments?

what do we make of Kiyani's visit to US this time around for the SD - last year he was the 'star of the show' but this time around he has stayed in the b/ground, subdued from what i gather!:coffee:any comments?

I don't think so sir. From what i gathered and saw, Kayani was part of the deelgation which met Obama. Who do you think lead it? Qureshi ?

Also, the one thing that came out of the whole dialogue thing was the security assistance pact. This was finalzied between COAS and Robert Gates a day before Hillary and Qureshi announced it.

I guesss he did all the work and let Mr Qureshi have some face saving beacuse there wasn't any other concrete thing that came out of the dialogue.

I don't think so sir. From what i gathered and saw, Kayani was part of the deelgation which met Obama. Who do you think lead it? Qureshi ?

Also, the one thing that came out of the whole dialogue thing was the security assistance pact. This was finalzied between COAS and Robert Gates a day before Hillary and Qureshi announced it.

I guesss he did all the work and let Mr Qureshi have some face saving beacuse there wasn't any other concrete thing that came out of the dialogue.

maybe so but there is something which is bothering me.

a security assistance package @ US$ 400m/year reminds me of the 'peanuts' statement of Gen. Zia to Pres. Carter! - i just feel that the pentagon is 'miffed' because we havnt taken action in NWA as 'promised'
we keep telling the US that we are 'over-stretched' and dont have the 'resources' to mount a major ops and therefore have not been able to convince them 100%.
for every 10$ the US spends in afghan, it spends 1$ in pakistan - the sums just dont match!

So this means the conspiracies are going on against the top brass as well...needa be very carefull nowadayz ...great the stuff discovered beforehand... alhamdolillah...:coffee:

a security assistance package @ US$ 400m/year reminds me of the 'peanuts' statement of Gen. Zia to Pres. Carter! - i just feel that the pentagon is 'miffed' because we havnt taken action in NWA as 'promised'
we keep telling the US that we are 'over-stretched' and dont have the 'resources' to mount a major ops and therefore have not been able to convince them 100%.
for every 10$ the US spends in afghan, it spends 1$ in pakistan - the sums just dont match!

bro ! i guess u gave a bigger figure 0f 1$ instead it should be 10Cents...means they spend 10 cents in Pak for every 10$ spent in Afghanistan....such a great injustice...:agree:

Last edited:

Agreed sir.

From what i ve heard, there is a difference of view on Pakistan between the DoD and the State Dept.

From the pact, it is clear the US isn't willing to provide us with the capability that we seek even though they recognise it.

There are counter-factors. India is one. Also, the Afghan govt.

I guess, they just want to keep the PA interested by conceding the minimal at this point in time. Perhaps, they want us to be engaged as long they are in Afghanistan.

I guess he must have done some productive job..what I believe as compared to the visits before...he must be able to tame and milk the tyrant cowzzz:agree:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom