What's new

Chhattisgarh: Hindutva targeting of Christians.

Soulspeek

Reaction score
Country
India
Raipur: Away from national glare, a silent religious conquest is taking shape in tribal Chhattisgarh. After the new dispensation took charge at the Centre, the ongoing tussle between the forces of Hindutva and Christians is going decidedly in favour of the former.
Here are a few instances of how things have started changing in the state, particularly in its southern region.

* A priest appeared before the media in Jagdalpur in the company of local Vishwa Hindu Parishad leaders a month ago and announced the Church's decision to display pictures of the Hindu Goddess Saraswati in their schools. He also said the principals and vice-principals would be called acharya and up-acharya henceforth instead of 'father'.

* In the Bastar region, the VHP has objected to the distribution of sweets by Santa Claus among people during Christmas. It has instructed the community to replace sweets with 'prasad'.
* Around the time the BJP government took control at the Centre, five villages in Bastar, through their gram sabhas, passed orders prohibiting non-Hindus from practicing religious activities and prayers in their villages. Members of the Christian community allege that the VHP provoked people to pass the order and the state government is protecting them.

* "People are holding mahapanchayats in other parts of the state for the last six months. Some of them are issuing circulars against the missionaries. Around 52 members of the Christian community have been attacked by the VHP activists in recent months,” Arun Pannalal, general secretary of Chhattisgarh Christian Forum (CCF), has told the media.

The Bastar incident last month was only a symptom of the communal problem affecting the state.
According to political observers, the symptoms have been clearly visible over the last few months but the malady had set in long ago. The equation between Christians and Hindus started changing after the BJP came to power in the state in 2003. The process has intensified now.
Some of the legislations of the BJP-led state government directly target Christian missionaries. Many effectively turned out to be tools for the government and the administration to patronize and promote right wing forces on the ground.

Chhattisgarh, for example, is one of the five states in the country to have the anti-conversion law. The state had inherited one from Madhya Pradesh but felt the need to amend the law once the BJP came to power. The state assembly passed the Chhattisgarh Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Act, 2006 which provided for a three-year jail term and a fine of Rs 20, 000 for those indulging in religious conversion through allurement, fraud or force.

It also provided that "the return to ancestor's original religion or his own original religion by any person shall not be construed as 'conversion'." Many see this provision as a means to allow the continuance of programmes by right-wing Hindu organisations – branded as 'Ghar Wapsi' or home coming to reconvert Christians to Hinduism. The bill requires a person intending to convert to another religion to apply to the district collector at least 30 days in advance. The Collector is vested with the right to refuse permission to convert. This is seen as an infringement of one's constitutional right to choose one's religion.

As if the existing provisions of the law – both central and state – were not enough, the state assembly has passed and enacted bills such as Tonahi Pratadna Nivaran Adhiniyam-2005 – essentially dealing with faith and superstition under various names. The laws have come handy in the harassment of Christians, the community feels.

"When there exist enough laws, what is the purpose of enacting more for the same types of offence if not harassment?” asks Arun Pannalal, general secretary of Chhattisgarh Christian Forum.

Also, incidents of the Hindu right volunteers storming the places where 'Changai – Sabhas' – or, according to the believers "sessions of faith healing or simply prayer meetings” - are held, frequently find place in the local media. The police come or are brought into the picture and cases are framed mostly to the disadvantage of one community.

If conversion or re-conversion is the more visible reason for the conflict of interests, the equally serious, some believe real, cause for dispute is over the issue of the ownership of land that the Christian missionaries have in their possession. The missionaries started coming to the state in 1860s. Churches, schools, hospitals and burial places came up in areas which either belonged to those later labeled as tribals, or was no-man's land. In many cases it was gifted by the local Rajas. These areas, deep inside the forests and over the hills, were inaccessible for others and continued to remain so for over a century thereafter. The post-independence era saw a shift in priorities of the government towards settlement of the tribals. The Land Revenue Act was amended to provide for the return of land, acquired by non-tribals without the prior permission of the collector, back to the tribal.

A common complaint among the missionaries has been that the provision has been misused by digging out the roots of the ownership of lands in their possession to the ancestors of the present generation of the tribals. If the reopening of cases and the resultant slew of litigation is seen by the Christians as harassment, the tribal – read Christian - descendants of the original owners see virtue in siding with the state. The missionaries have a much larger land bank in their possession in the north of state including Jashpur and Sarguja districts. Yet, significantly, the confrontation linked to the ownership of land is more pronounced in the south – in Bastar where the government has signed significant MOUs with the likes of Tatas and Essars and has failed so far to acquire and hand over the huge tracts of promised land.

Source-
Chhattisgarh: Hindutva targeting of Christians over conversions really about land?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am speechless as a Christian. For the time being I am not feeling the heat as I dont live in that region but my heart goes for the poor Christians who can even celebrate Christmas properly.
In Christianity we call our priests Father out of respect & our faith. In different languages people use different words meaning 'Father'. Calling them Acharya totally removes the religious aspect of a priest. He becomes just another teacher. There is a difference between a teacher and a priest.
Its just a case of might is right. Wherever extremists are in power, it enforces its views on others be it ISIS, RSS, TALIBAN.

I am speechless as a Christian. For the time being I am not feeling the heat as I dont live in that region but my heart goes for the poor Christians who can even celebrate Christmas properly.
In Christianity we call our priests Father out of respect & our faith. In different languages people use different words meaning 'Father'. Calling them Acharya totally removes the religious aspect of a priest. He becomes just another teacher. There is a difference between a teacher and a priest.
Its just a case of might is right. Wherever extremists are in power, it enforces its views on others be it ISIS, RSS, TALIBAN.

He is priest for you only not for other faiths,You can call Father or mother or whatever you want ...this is not x'ian country to force your methods

Finally the hindutatva elements have started to flex its muscles after Modi's win

He is priest for you only not for other faiths,You can call Father or mother or whatever you want ...this is not x'ian country to force your methods
You mean to say we should stop calling a muslim priest as Maulvi and a Buddhist monk as a Bhikku?
You know, you also sound like a chaddiwala RSS Bigot!

I am speechless as a Christian.

Since you are a Christian, and your contention is that re-conversion policy of RSS+VHP+BJP is just to get missionary land; Could you kindly explain as to how missionaries acquired such vast tract in such a short period of time?

That too in a situation when there was not a single Christian in Chattisgarh 200 years ago, and there are just 0.7% Christians in Chattisgarh even today.

. For the time being I am not feeling the heat as I dont live in that region but my heart goes for the poor Christians who can even celebrate Christmas properly.

Since you do not live in this region, and you by your own admission has never felt the 'proverbial' heat; Could you be sure that such sob stories are true and not a propaganda?

My intention is not to insult your religion, but it is a fact that victimhood complex forms integral part , some would say even basis, of Christianity. Christians of yesteryear, when Vatican held sway on every aspect of life, were most masochist of all people. It was both physically experienced in form of penance performed, and vicarious in form of reveling in pains that Jesus had undergone on Cross, aptly recognized by Vatican by conferring sainthood to people who performed penance, some of whom were of extremely dubious character.

You could read Nietzsche's commentary on Christianity to get this perspective.

Could you be sure that such a story is genuine and not an attempt to harvest victim-hood?

Wherever extremists are in power, it enforces its views on others be it ISIS, RSS, TALIBAN.

While they may have extremist views, but is it okay to bracket RSS with likes of ISIS and Taliban? Seriously!

I mean how many terrorist activity has RSS indulged in? How many Christians have been killed by RSS?

This when there are Christian terrorist groups who have actively killed Hindus in India. Don't you think it is extremely hypocritical to bracket RSS with ISIS? I mean in light of evidence, bracketing Christians with ISIS would make more sense than Bracketing RSS with ISIS. ( Not that any of them is correct assertion but if you insist on bracketing RSS with ISIS than Christian + ISIS would be make much better sense ).

Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
These stupid people will mess up the public mandate by doing all this crazy stuff.
Give some time people will realize their mistake of electing low life .
You have got majority bring people together .

You mean to say we should stop calling a muslim priest as Maulvi and a Buddhist monk as a Bhikku?
You are a Malayali Christian,isn't??..Why are you crying for some haryanvi or NI Christians??..Let them face their fate...
father,guru,acharya all denotes same..Tamilnadu Christians use to call their priest as 'Swami'...

My question is simple Why force others to call your Priest Father ?...I am Hindu and BJP supporter

My question is simple Why force others to call your Priest Father ?...I am Hindu and BJP supporter

In the same vein, why should someone call your priests 'Pandit Ji' or 'Pujari Ji'.

Brother, you have to give respect to priests whichever religion they belong to.

You are a Malayali Christian,isn't??..Why are you crying for some haryanvi or NI Christians??..Let them face their fate...
father,guru,acharya all denotes same..Tamilnadu Christians use to call their priest as 'Swami'...
Sir, you can call Christian priests as 'Swami' coz it has a religious tone. In Kerala, priests are called Achchan which means Father. Guru and Acharya have different meaning. Its more academic word.
Dont you expect me to call your priest as Pujari ji or Pandit ji?
Why is it so hard to give respect to people of other faith!

In the same vein, why should someone call your priests 'Pandit Ji' or 'Pujari Ji'.

Brother, you have to give respect to priests whichever religion they belong to.

Sir, you can call Christian priests as 'Swami' coz it has a religious tone. In Kerala, priests are called Achchan which means Father. Guru and Acharya have different meaning. Its more academic word.
Dont you expect me to call your priest as Pujari ji or Pandit ji?
Why is it so hard to give respect to people of other faith!
It depends on the mentality of the people,culture,the place they live etc..
We call them 'Achan' in Kerala(including non Christians and atheists)...Let them call whatever they like..It won't change anything...
Respect??..How many of us respect our own parents??..

You fail to mention that Christian evangelical organisations, and indeed some mainstream Christian groups deliberately try to use Dharmic terms in order to gain converts. They prey on the ignorance/illiteracy of the less fortunate to "harvest souls for Christ"

I think it's time Christian evangelical groups fess up the aggressive and unethical campaigns of proselytism they engage in, not only in South Asia, but the rest of Asia as well. If not for these campaigns to "convert the heathens/idol worshippers" I doubt you would even be seeing stories like the one you posted.

People talk about "Muslim extremism" but there is a sinister, covert, pervasive extremism that exists among certain Christian groups, backed by countries like the USA. Their very ideology is to dominate the world.

I am speechless as a Hypocrite. For the time being I am not feeling the heat as I dont live in that region but my heart goes for the poor Christians who can even celebrate Christmas properly.
Corrected one word for you there.
Sorry, but the Christian evangelical activity will soon be history. I have worked there and am personally witness to the jungle mafia that the 'Church' runs there. The trees and forest produce is the raw material, the new converts the labor and their children in 'Christian convents' the guarantee. It's extortion of the highest degree. Don't worry, it will end. You are free to cry in a corner and recollect the days of the British Raj.

Btw - the first law against these Christian missionaries was passed by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1956, so take care while you brand Hindus as ISIS or Taliban. Not that I care though. :)

You fail to mention that Christian evangelical organisations, and indeed some mainstream Christian groups deliberately try to use Dharmic terms in order to gain converts. They prey on the ignorance/illiteracy of the less fortunate to "harvest souls for Christ"

I think it's time Christian evangelical groups fess up the aggressive and unethical campaigns of proselytism they engage in, not only in South Asia, but the rest of Asia as well. If not for these campaigns to "convert the heathens/idol worshippers" I doubt you would even be seeing stories like the one you posted.

People talk about "Muslim extremism" but there is a sinister, covert, pervasive extremism that exists among certain Christian groups, backed by countries like the USA. Their very ideology is to dominate the world.
Your country is one in South Asia that has ball$. Our country is still far too fragmented for taking tough stances when necessary. But we are getting there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom