What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

A question to Chinese members:

JF-17 / FC-1 being on the same airfield where 2 of the Chinese future main fighters are being tested and with them FC-1 / JF-17 also flying & being tested doesn't sends a message that may be the CAF is looking into FC-1 as somewhat a future fighter at the low end side ??

Insights are welcomed as to me the 3 fighter jets being tested on the same facility may mean that they all are being looked as future fighter platforms.

It is reported that PLAAF will equip 150 FC-1 with WS13 from cdf.but no one really knows the truth now.

Huzhigeng said that the J-20 is 20.3 meters long from nose to tail and has a wingspan of 13.4 meters.

Huzhigeng's estimate is consistent with my upper-limit estimate from months ago.

China J-20 Mighty Dragon is roughly the size of a Su-27

The wheels on the J-20 and Su-27 are about the same size. Same thing for length of cockpit, size of pilots' heads, size of pilot helmets, and engine size.

aHWsa.jpg

J-20 Mighty Dragon and Su-27 comparison

[Note: Thank you to "MIG-23MLD" for the picture.]

----------

Pixel-by-pixel analysis confirms China J-20 Mighty Dragon is the size of a Su-27UB

R9kuQ.jpg

You are quite right, I examine the picture pixel by pixel - everything seems to line up almost perfectly, EXCEPT the pilot's head - either Chinese pilot's head is enormous (its about 130% larger) or the J-20 is smaller.

For some reason, J-20 looks closer to the camera hence the pilot looks larger. If you scale it down slightly, I think it might even be smaller than F-22 or PAK FA.

Also Su-27UB is 21.9 m long, from tip of the nose to the end of the boom, even measuring against that J-20 is shorter by quite a bit.

[Note: Thank you to "Asymptote" for the post and analysis.]

Please stay away from this thread troll.. all you do here is contaminate this informative forum..:disagree:

and reported for trolling...:angry:

Wrong, your friend Martian contaminated this thread--once again it was him that went off topic by comparing the J-20 to the pak-fa.

Know what you're talking about next time so you spare yourself the humiliation. And he even thanked you for your post dispite the fact that he did what you accused me of doing. :lol:

Wrong, your friend Martian contaminated this thread--once again it was him that went off topic by comparing the J-20 to the pak-fa.

Know what you're talking about next time so you spare yourself the humiliation. And he even thanked you for your post dispite the fact that he did what you accused me of doing. :lol:

It's funny how people think insightful commenting comes from people who think making a supersonic highly integrated ultramaneuverable LO fighter plane is something you can do in your back garden garage and in reality you don't need a few PhDs to do, while trolling is stating the obvious and occasionaly providing scientific sources too. !!!

ptldM3 .. it's quite obvious, Sukhoi don't know what they are doing, because someone in here measures RCS by mk1 eyeball... !! I mean after all Sukhoi used to make barbie dolls before they got into the fighter business.. right ?

and don't forget, the J-20 is ultra stealthy, F-22 class, because ...well, it is painted black, can't you see?

how weird we are indeed !

It's funny how people think insightful commenting comes from people who think making a supersonic highly integrated ultramaneuverable LO fighter plane is something you can do in your back garden garage and in reality you don't need a few PhDs to do, while trolling is stating the obvious and occasionaly providing scientific sources too. !!!

ptldM3 .. it's quite obvious, Sukhoi don't know what they are doing, because someone in here measures RCS by mk1 eyeball... !! I mean after all Sukhoi used to make barbie dolls before they got into the fighter business.. right ?

and don't forget, the J-20 is ultra stealthy, F-22 class, because ...well, it is painted black, can't you see?

It has nothing to do with the color. The J-20 is not painted. The radar absorbing surface material is naturally black. Also the shaping of the J-20 observed the stealth requirements closely besides some few minor points such as engine exhaust which I hope will be addressed in future.

The T-50 "prototype" is nothing but a money grabbing tool because it lacks stealth features. Yes I think the Sukhoi engineers know exactly what they are doing. They a building a plane with the only purpose of making money. I mean, if the T-50 is as good as the Russian propaganda, why is Russia trying to sell it to EVERY COUNTRY including a western ally like Korea? Is America selling any of the F-22s?

On the surface of it, the T-50's shaping is just, horrible. Apparently the Sukhoi engineers haven't been able to solve the engine cooling problem so they have to total expose it without a serpentine intake and a flat belly. Sukhoi is also not taking small care such as the canopy and surface material. The plane is of just pure metal frame. Yes you can say "it is just a prototype", but it is the Russians who say that this plane will enter "production" in 2015! Just 3 and half years from now! That's some amazing development span you have there. A fifth gen plane that will be inducted just 5 years after its maiden flight!

I don't believe Russia has the ability to make a true 5th gen fighter anymore.

It has nothing to do with the color. The J-20 is not painted. The radar absorbing surface material is naturally black. Also the shaping of the J-20 observed the stealth requirements closely besides some few minor points such as engine exhaust which I hope will be addressed in future.

The T-50 "prototype" is nothing but a money grabbing tool because it lacks stealth features. Yes I think the Sukhoi engineers know exactly what they are doing. They a building a plane with the only purpose of making money. I mean, if the T-50 is as good as the Russian propaganda, why is Russia trying to sell it to EVERY COUNTRY including a western ally like Korea? Is America selling any of the F-22s?

On the surface of it, the T-50's shaping is just, horrible. Apparently the Sukhoi engineers haven't been able to solve the engine cooling problem so they have to total expose it without a serpentine intake and a flat belly. Sukhoi is also not taking small care such as the canopy and surface material. The plane is of just pure metal frame. Yes you can say "it is just a prototype", but it is the Russians who say that this plane will enter "production" in 2015! Just 3 and half years from now! That's some amazing development span you have there. A fifth gen plane that will be inducted just 5 years after its maiden flight!

I don't believe Russia has the ability to make a true 5th gen fighter anymore.

ok, so this money grabbing machine will be exposed when the russians do take the T-50 on a tour on EVERY country they are trying to sell it to, and those countries turn their fighters' radars on and see that the bloody thing is not stealthy !!!!!

wow talk about a very short lived and expensive scam ... which leaves you only with the expenses to fly the T-50 to the various countries... and be exposed...

and the russians didn't have the problems you mention, because the S-47 had semi-serpantine ducts and hidden engines and no cooling problems .. and supercruise.. so if they chose to do it this way , there is some reason...

just as there is a reason the J-20 has canards and stabs etc etc..

And made a video that despite filled with errors has thousands of views and should be taken as more technically authoritative than what experienced engineers may say. Popular gullible consensus trump science and if there are criticisms, said criticism can only come from petty jealousy since critics has no popular videos of their own.

And made a video that despite filled with errors has thousands of views and should be taken as more technically authoritative than what experienced engineers may say. Popular gullible consensus trump science and if there are criticisms, said criticism can only come from petty jealousy since critics has no popular videos of their own.

You are obviously referring to the "Blair Stealth Project" .. true story I've heard .....

ok, so this money grabbing machine will be exposed when the russians do take the T-50 on a tour on EVERY country they are trying to sell it to, and those countries turn their fighters' radars on and see that the bloody thing is not stealthy !!!!!

wow talk about a very short lived and expensive scam ... which leaves you only with the expenses to fly the T-50 to the various countries... and be exposed...

and the russians didn't have the problems you mention, because the S-47 had semi-serpantine ducts and hidden engines and no cooling problems .. and supercruise.. so if they chose to do it this way , there is some reason...

just as there is a reason the J-20 has canards and stabs etc etc..

We will see that when the T-50 is taken to other countries. Insofar it has not flown outside Russia, so you should just shut up about it.

The Su-47 design was a huge fail. The Russians never solved the many many problems it had so they have to ditch it for a more primitive design like the T-50, so don't tell me that they solved all the problems and don't tell me that exposed engine vents like the T-50 has any advantage to it.

The J-20 has canards because the engine is not powerful enough and because 611 corp is experienced with canards. Once the WS-15 engine is mature I am sure the canards can be removed.

The thing is that at least we admit J-20 shortcomings. The Russian T-50 is nothing but a money scam.

Whatever Indians say whatever americans say whatever russians says but we dont care we only need PLAAF with stealth fighters:yahoo: and it is only likely market for our future hopes of 5th generation:cheesy::cheesy::china::china::china::china::china::

Back
Top Bottom