What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Last edited:
e0be033608772495d9a34b.jpg

Via http://www.81.cn/yw/2022-09/22/content_10186419.htm

“Well, I'm like Gen. Wilsbach,” Air Force Chief of Staff Brown had subsequently said. "[The J-20 is] not something to lose a lot of sleep over, but I'm gonna pay attention to it.”

Wilsbach qualified his comments by saying that the Air Force has "had a limited opportunity to assess it [the J-20], but it seems ok." He added that after “some recent close engagements we had with our 5th gen jets and some of their J-20s” in the Pacific region, the Air Force had “learned a lot from that," but that "it is nothing frankly that I would worry too much about."

The USAF Chief of Staff doesn’t seem very impressed with the J-20 either.

“Well, I'm like Gen. Wilsbach,” Air Force Chief of Staff Brown had subsequently said. "[The J-20 is] not something to lose a lot of sleep over, but I'm gonna pay attention to it.”

Wilsbach qualified his comments by saying that the Air Force has "had a limited opportunity to assess it [the J-20], but it seems ok." He added that after “some recent close engagements we had with our 5th gen jets and some of their J-20s” in the Pacific region, the Air Force had “learned a lot from that," but that "it is nothing frankly that I would worry too much about."

Keep sleeping just like good ol Joe.

Just like China isn't too impressed with F-35. I guess we can both by unimpressed by each other.

Considering the USAF is about to debut the B-21 Bomber and is in the EMD phase already for its 6th Gen fighter, the last one sleeping is the USAF.
Funny, H-20 is coming, and we got a bunch of UCAVs out in a few years.

Su-57 is not as good as J-20 but it's far more capable than Eurofighter which is what your country has.
Su-57 would be ripped to shreds in BVR by Eurofighter before it ever has a chance to engage its fancy post stall maneuvers. The Russians are still reminiscing about the days when the Su-27 was the most maneuverable aircraft in the world.

So it's confirmed that this is the WS-15? Would make sense since WS-15 is also TVC equipped. Timeline also matches for WS-15 flight testing.

Last edited:
Su-57 would be ripped to shreds in BVR by Eurofighter before it ever has a chance to engage its fancy post stall maneuvers. The Russians are still reminiscing about the days when the Su-27 was the most maneuverable aircraft in the world.

So it's confirmed that this is the WS-15? Would make sense since WS-15 is also TVC equipped. Timeline also matches for WS-15 flight testing.

No it is not, there is a longer clip available showing that this is part of the rehearsals from the PLAAF open day flights and those J-20s flown there have confirmed just the ordinary AL-21 eninges

No it is not, there is a longer clip available showing that this is part of the rehearsals from the PLAAF open day flights and those J-20s flown there have confirmed just the ordinary AL-21 eninges
AL-31?

AL-21 is in a generation earlier.

For all those concerned, this is a Giant leap of pilotless mankind into A.I. & machine learning controls pilots of 6th generation if not 7th Generation.

J-20 twin-seat fighter jets might be used in sync with drones to increase firepower.
China's military has suggested its advanced J-20 twin-seat fighter jets might be used in conjunction with drones to increase firepower.

J-20 as commander of Drones flying in formation
k5HDos5cat7aEaHBvXNpPLlKya2dObtxOOPQXtIP.jpg

The twin-seat J-20s can carry out coordinated reconnaissance, coordinated strikes, and coordinated command missions when coupled with drones, South China Morning Post (SCMP) reported on Sunday, quoting a Chinese military magazine.

"The purpose of building such a twin-seat J-20 is not to treat it simply as a trainer, its major role then will almost certainly be to coordinate with drones," said Yang Wei, the chief designer of the aircraft, in an article published in Ordnance Industry Science Technology.

"As a manned aircraft, the J-20 can act as the commander of the drone swarm," claimed the article.

Despite the fact that the fighter can only carry four to six ground-strike munitions, its firepower can be increased by a swarm of drones, each of which can carry four to ten precision-guided munitions.

"The drones can be used as 'eyes and ears' that expand the scope of the J-20's situational awareness and enhance manned aircraft's ability to spy and locate enemy targets," said the article quoted by SCMP.

A J-20 equipped with a swarm of drones, according to the article, may carry out operations, including early-warning missions and combat reconnaissance.

The report further stated that China will "still need to develop and expand the combat strategies between a manned plane and unmanned drones," said the article.

"The use of drones allows a military force to initiate attacks faster and also to keep fighting despite losses … And they can bring a real advantage in modern combat." Timothy Heath, a senior international defense researcher at the Rand Corporation, told SCMP.

Source https://interestingengineering.com/science/china-to-pilot-drone-swarm-with-fighter-jet

Related topic China shows drones recycled from Soviet era fighter jets

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom