What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

1111111111111111.jpg

Truly astonishing seeing the pace of development of the Chinese military. I'm going to show my age here now, but I remember frequenting defence forums (Airforces monthly, PakDef, Sinodefence) over 20 years ago in the last 90s and the Chinese military back then was essentially comprised of Soviet era weapons, and the most they had to show in terms of indigenous development was the J-8 and Mig-21 copies...how times change so quickly.

Turkey media says that China will use J-20 technology to exchange for Turkish drone technology. Can you believe that? News link below.

There is an official statement(by presidency spox) that talks are continuing with a leading country on aeropsace, about on opening a new perspective in the field of defense. This explanation basically refers to an exploratory study of a two-way cooperation.

However, the name of this country was not disclosed. I have read the content in the link. There is absolutely no such explanation, and frankly, it seems imaginary to me. So things beyond official statement can only be a fantasy.

It makes no sense for China to open its best combatant platform to TR at the moment. Let alone dozens of technical problems, It's a very difficult politically. Not to mention that such a step could have devastating consequences for Turkish air forces. Even if the Turkish side is willing to make such a sharp political move, it can only afford it, for example, for an F-35B equivalent platform(if you have already) to be developed for naval platforms. Because these STOVL jets were very important in the navy structuring plans and this access was lost. May be, just maybe...

In the background, could China want to help Turkiye on some specific sub-work areas? Or it can be an alternative source for engine supply, for example? This is a completely separate topic of discussion. We have received support from China on many issues in the past, and there is experience in this kind of covert agreements. In the early 2000s, there were cooporation by some of our defense industry companies, and even were even staff working here.

Forget the details and the weird claims. This possibility "J-20 or any other aircraft buying from China" could be important(by TR) in terms of its political consequences (gains and losses). Because on the technical side of the business, there will be nothing but a ball of problems.

Last edited:
Turkiye is moving away from the western bloc day by day. It cannot do this sharply and quickly. Because it sees that in such a situation it will have to fight against NATO immediately and suddenly. For Turkiye, the most important reason for its presence in NATO today is to protect itself from NATO. I'm not going into the technical details of why and how. In short, Turkiye must take the final step by completing its preparations in an environment that it has created its own conditions, so that it can keep itself out of such a war. Another issue is the effects on other target (by the NATO bloc) countries. Russia's S-400 sale, nuclear cooperation, etc. These are not without reason. If there is anything better for Russia than a NATO without Turkiye, it is the creation of conditions that will allow NATO to struggle with both Russia and Turkiye. Russia and Turkiye still have many disagreements, but relations between the two states are probably better than they've ever been in history.

China is the driving force of the great asia formation. I will not touch on how China will benefit from the centuries-old paradigm's changing in eastern Europe, which I have briefly summarized above.

Could China want to sell jets to Turkiye? If it's going to create some of the conditions that would cause NATO to lose its eastern flank, why not? But this will complicate the current air force logistics for Turkiye with a comprehensive CAATSA sanctions. Turkiye is a country that woke up very late from its sleep. If things go well, we will enter the process of independence in the air force from the 2030s, but as you can see from the current combat jet inventory, active and current flying jets are entirely US aviation products. This is exactly why Turkiye is currently stuck with US options, which creates a risk gap of at least 10 years in the air force's combat jet fleets.

All this is not the subject of this topic. However, since you shared a not very credible claim above, I wanted to briefly outline the subject in order to avoid diluting this issue and to let you know the conditions on the Turkish side. Thank you for your patience if you read both posts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom