What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

5 gen will be further developed through blocks. There will be no 6 gen fighter yet until the next 20 -30 years.

Why you think it's half baked? The real part of it?

The engine and stealth and production rates seem below the expectations.

Why not design new airframe for when new engine come out?

Meanwhile produce j31’s and j10’s to master production?

How many J20’s do you expect to be produced in next 10 years?

Provide evidence of all of this. How are the engines, stealth, and the production rates below expectations? Moreover, can you clarify on what expectations you were referring to?

Why not design new airframe for when new engine come out?

Meanwhile produce j31’s and j10’s to master production?

How many J20’s do you expect to be produced in next 10 years?
I don't see stealth is half baked. If you are referring the rear part then same can be said to F-35
For the engine, yes WS15 is not ready, but I don't think that's a stop-ship issue. Super cruise is not a must for 5G IMHO

For production rate, rumor said 20 J-20 have been produced from mid-2019 to this month and ready to enter into service. Let's wait and see for some time whether this true or not.

I don't see stealth is half baked. If you are referring the rear part then same can be said to F-35
For the engine, yes WS15 is not ready, but I don't think that's a stop-ship issue. Super cruise is not a must for 5G IMHO

For production rate, rumor said 20 J-20 have been produced from mid-2019 to this month and ready to enter into service. Let's wait and see for some time whether this true or not.
The J-20 was designed initially to have good maneuverability without a great engine (i.e. WS-15). We already know that the subsonic agility of the J-20 matches that of the J-10, which by itself is pretty impressive.

Regarding the rumor, why would J-20s produced in mid 2019 have to take over a year to enter service? That seems awfully long. I would be very surprised if some of the J-20s with Taihangs were not already in service.

Regarding the rumor, why would J-20s produced in mid 2019 have to take over a year to enter service? That seems awfully long. I would be very surprised if some of the J-20s with Taihangs were not already in service.
When an aircraft is 'produced', the word itself means a production slot is allocated, parts, including materials, are ordered, and time and manpower are assigned.

Once the aircraft is finished assembly...

https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/how-is-an-aircraft-built/test-programme-and-certification.html

The manufacturer try to certify the aircraft as soon as possible, but the aircraft will take time sitting on the ramp waiting for test flight inspections. Just because the assembly line work is done, that does not mean the test flight crew can simply start their job. Their lives are on the line so they will have their own inspection regime. This can take weeks or even a couple months.

Once the aircraft is delivered to the customer, the customer have his own certification regime and that can take up to one calendar month. The aircraft will be hangared and undergo the equivalent of a 'phase maintenance' inspection.

https://www.hill.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1270998/final-hill-afb-f-16-goes-through-phase/
The time required for a phase inspection varies based on several factors, but the jet is typically scheduled for 10-14 days in the phase hangar.
Once manufacturer acceptance is done, there is the 'functional flight check' (FCF). Look it up. If there are no issues found from the FCF, the aircraft can start formal induction into service. So yes, it can take up to one yr from formal production to service.

When an aircraft is 'produced', the word itself means a production slot is allocated, parts, including materials, are ordered, and time and manpower are assigned.

Once the aircraft is finished assembly...

https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/how-is-an-aircraft-built/test-programme-and-certification.html

The manufacturer try to certify the aircraft as soon as possible, but the aircraft will take time sitting on the ramp waiting for test flight inspections. Just because the assembly line work is done, that does not mean the test flight crew can simply start their job. Their lives are on the line so they will have their own inspection regime. This can take weeks or even a couple months.

Once the aircraft is delivered to the customer, the customer have his own certification regime and that can take up to one calendar month. The aircraft will be hangared and undergo the equivalent of a 'phase maintenance' inspection.

https://www.hill.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1270998/final-hill-afb-f-16-goes-through-phase/
The time required for a phase inspection varies based on several factors, but the jet is typically scheduled for 10-14 days in the phase hangar.
Once manufacturer acceptance is done, there is the 'functional flight check' (FCF). Look it up. If there are no issues found from the FCF, the aircraft can start formal induction into service. So yes, it can take up to one yr from formal production to service.

Do you work in aerospace? How is j20 in your opinion?

Didnt we get pictures of the Taihang J-20 production types as far as a year ago? Why would it take so long for them to enter service? Or does is the poster suggesting these already entered service?
No idea why as I am only an outside watcher.

More shocking than the piss poor quality of her articles is how often she gets quoted by outside media, such as National Interest, Business Insider, or Popular Mechanics. They seem to believe what she says without any hesitation despite the obvious false facts and contradictory statements.

More shocking than the piss poor quality of her articles is how often she gets quoted by outside media, such as National Interest, Business Insider, or Popular Mechanics. They seem to believe what she says without any hesitation despite the obvious false facts and contradictory statements.

Simply since her BS fits their agenda ... and since every Chinese media outlet must be an official confirmation, it must be true.

From my point of view, photos of those with yellow primer coating indicate that J-20 with WS-10X are already under ongoing batch production.
192358nylnw34jcc016m5w-jpg.649305

That's just awesome! What a great photo and a great-looking machine.

And this one.

200801qjlem7zu088yfmfy-jpg.650213

Back
Top Bottom