What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

please calm down ... otherwise the disappointment is too huge.

Soon in the meaning of Maya predicted in "2006 that in 2019 we will see"!??

Soon is quite a relative term. When Maya claimed some certain tests were done in 2006 and predicted this milestone in 2019 it is only a prediction 11 years old.

A long time in that - just look at the Russian T-50/PAK-FA program - a lot can happed.

If this prediction would have come from 2015, then 2019 would be likely but a statement from 2006 is nothing more than a guesswork.

Again I do not want to downrate or downplay the Chinese engine situation, but the fact that we now see a WS-10 on a J-20 tells me clearly that there will be another few years before we'll see the WS-15. Otherwise it does not make sense to re-engine then again.

Deino
as some Chinese senior members said that "it will install on J-20 in 2023":undecided:

2023 as in engine maturity and full production... It's gonna be installed on J-20 tester in 2019 :enjoy:
We shouldn't use the WS-10 as a set time table for the WS-15, considering that the Chinese have learned a thing or two.
yes, IMO that timeframe - if nothing serious happens - would be realistic.
do you mean batch production or appearance on j-20? 6 years on just an appearance of WS-15 on J-20 would imply an almost 2030 maturity date ...

2023 as in engine maturity and full production... It's gonna be installed on J-20 tester in 2019 :enjoy:

Never. If we see a WS-15 on a J-20 before 2020 it would be IMO a mayor surprise and being mature and in full production is way off. But just my two cents.

Deino

Never. If we see a WS-15 on a J-20 before 2020 it would be IMO a mayor surprise and being mature and in full production is way off. But just my two cents.

Deino
What do u mean by 2023

@pakistanipower mentioned that date just a few posts above. IMO this date is likely to see a first WS-15 on a J-20, but not earlier.
Your basicallt implying a 2028-30 entry date for the J-20B then? Imo that's too conservative. I have 2019-20 for first WS-15 and 2025 for full scale production

So the engine ws15 started before 2006 ,MIGHT see production in 2023.
17 years and counting.
And where will competing engine manufacturers from Russia and Europe and USA be in another 7 years ?
Has anyone written a non propaganda piece on the problems being faced by china in manufacturing ws15 ?
Troll alert? :azn:

So the engine ws15 started before 2006 ,MIGHT see production in 2023.
17 years and counting.
And where will competing engine manufacturers from Russia and Europe and USA be in another 7 years ?
Has anyone written a non propaganda piece on the problems being faced by china in manufacturing ws15 ?
No one is claiming that China is expert in metallurgy ,,, even after so many decades, Russia is much behind in engine tech than west ,,, it is complicated stuff and will take time

No one is claiming that China is expert in metallurgy ,,, even after so many decades, Russia is much behind in engine tech than west ,,, it is complicated stuff and will take time
Exactly my point.
Most of the posters here have never seen a bolt being mfd and suddenly become experts in jet engines.
I work in the industry and as a engineer , ensuring repeatable quality of the most basic stuff requires a lot of effort.
20% of our equipment constitutes quality assurance equipment , even then due to human factors we face rejections.
Chinese are very average in metallurgy . From personal experience of rejecting their products.
When we talk about engines for fighter planes , temperatures exceed melting point of steel and only the special coatings and cooling channels keep the metal from becoming ductile.
Its a interesting read , thats why i wanted a reference to the problems their ws15 engine is facing.

I don't really understand why this engine discussion is taking so much "place" on here or on the other thread for that matter. The main point as of today is that whatever engine J-20A has today is still way above any level of upgraded J-10 / J-11 / J-15 / J-16 as a "total package".

Other main point is to get every part of the infrastructure ready for a massive production when the newer engine is ready - however, one should still start buildning J-20A with present engine, because as a "total package aircraft", it's still better and above what most countries have.

No one is a superpower because they have 50 or 100 stealth fighters. They can become superpower when you have 1500 - 2000 of those.
The same applies for submarines, destroyers and so on. One is not a superpower because a given country has only a handful of this and that.
So mass production and resources along with infrastructury and economy is as important as this next generation engine that will power J-20 in the future.

Back
Top Bottom