What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Are you implying entering service version is very far from the combat operation version or simply trying to hint PLA has no standard and its acceptance varies alot unlike super professional western counterpart? Please back your statement if not, its simply your lack of contempt assessment of Chinese and PLA and just your very personal verdict.
Yes. I am not implying. I am SAYING.

When the military accepts a new piece of hardware, it means the military is prepared to alter its ways of waging war to accommodate the new capabilities this new piece of hardware will bring.

I will use my beloved F-16 as example...

When the USAF accepted the F-16, the service chiefs, meaning the USAF Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Air Force, were readied to accept the new fighter with its weapons load, fuel range, maneuverability, and maintenance requirements. Since the new fighter is supposed to be inexpensive, it means more can be bought, therefore, support personnel must be factored in, maybe recruit more ? While the service works on altering its support infrastructures, the manufacturer continues to study and make the hardware better. Why do you think the F-16 have 'blocks' ? Each block of upgrades is an improvement from the immediate version. Some blocks seen war, most do not. Even the Army's M1 Abrams worked the same way. We have the A1 and A2.

I haven't seen any weapons test yet and it's ready? :o:.

Just like you haven't seen any footage of J-15 and drone takeoff from the EMALS, but in fact it has already been tested for more than thousand times.

This is China's style. When you see something being described in a document of CCTV, it was already deployed in many years ago.

Just like you haven't seen any footage of J-15 and drone takeoff from the EMALS, but in fact it has already been tested for more than thousand times.

This is China's style. When you see something being described in a document of CCTV, it was already deployed in many years ago.

And do we feel the need to get attention when our government style to keep all these in low profile: Can we not wait until the EMALS catapult is ready with clear pictures as evident before going to long exhausting debate? and same with the WS-15 engine...why do need to make drama out of this, if it takes another decade or so to mass produce, so be it it...I'm not sensitive at all if Viets or Indians said that we still operate Russian engines with our J-20 if that can comfort them :D and I don't feel the need to prove them anything.

Last edited:
And do we feel the need to get attention when our government style to keep all these in low profile: Can we not wait until the EMALS catapult is ready with clear pictures as evident before going to long exhausting debate? and same with the WS-15 engine...why do need to make drama out of this, if it takes another decade or so to mass produce, so be it it...I'm not sensitive at all if Viets or Indians said that we still operate Russian engines with our J-20 if that can comfort them :D and I don't feel the need to prove them anything.

For now, the J-20 is using the domestic engine, but not the WS-15.

General Yin Zhuo has already confirmed that, since he is an insider and knows the chief designer personally.

Old but i think this the best picture of the j-20 yet
2017-03-10-Lavion-de-combat-J-20-est-entr%C3%A9-en-service-10-1200x580.jpg

95281b0fa5b1d4b8f0809326cda1044f.jpg

24961199.jpg

According to the serial number of the plane- it would be deployed somewhere in the northwest of the country.

Very interesting development J-20 + WS-15 engine. Anyone feeling in celebration mode by the J-20 entering service? Then check out my dedicated J-20 thread (on a different site than defence.pk), where I have attempted to re-organize the pretty pictures posted by various users here in a semi-coherent manner:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php/40083-AVATAR-Anthology-(Avatar-1-2-3-4-5-etc-)?p=1132548&viewfull=1#post1132548

Enjoy!

whats the official name? i thought it was "mighty dragon"

Reading over and over this SCMP article, eventually I can't help my self of the laughters :-) LOL

"Military insiders said the appearance of J-20s in the air force was meant as a warning to Japan and South Korea, which are expected to buy US F-35 stealth fighters now that China has equally advanced warplanes."

"A source close to the PLA said the J-20s were all equipped with home-made WS-15 engines, but because the engine had not entered mass production, only a few J-20s were available for service."

There are still a series of technical problems that need to be tackled [on the J-20], including the reliability of its WS-15 engines, [and the plane’s] control system, stealth coat and hull materials and infrared sensor,” said the source, who requested anonymity.
===> well, so many lingering problems; in that case it is not a serious asset, yet ;) and pose no deterrence value!

Ha ha ha... above paragraphs are just contradictory each other :-) lol

Those who read this article will hardly understand the underlying message... and if SCMP is a yellow publication then I may understand, but it is not.

So what's the real message? It's everyone's guess.

I let everyone to interpret it :-) ha ha ha

It's written by your typical know-nothing journalist.

For a prediction made in 7-8 years in advance, its timeliness is quite remarkable.

It shows how methodical all the related works on this J-20 project are. And the Chinese authority seems not favoring bluffing mode about its capability, esp. when a high officer talks to the media, his words carry lots of weight. Talk down own self is more likely ;)

The work is carrying out smoothly and speedily because most of the design work was carried out in the Supercomputer using Advance CAD/CAM, Fluid Dynamic Computational Software, developed by China.

As we can see, the overall shape, and dimension of J-20 changed remarkably little over the years. Yes, there are continuously fine tuning, but no major redesigns. That means they got it mostly right, the first time.

I bet not one traditional blueprint, printed in paper, was needed. It went straight from the 3-D CAD/CAM design software to manufacturing. All the design was done within the Supercomputers, which China has plenty now.

I bet one day of work with the Computerized Design Software, is probably equivalent of, two months of pencil and drawings, on the drafting table.

Traditional design, takes literally ,a mountain of blueprints, for all the parts. Just to draw them correctly and interpret them correctly, takes a lot of time and effort.

The same tremendous saving in time and effort happens with Engine design as in Airframe design. That's why, I was confident that J-20, was already running with WS-15, from day one, back in 2010.

All the fools, who believes otherwise, have no idea about the power and efficiency of modern CAD/CAM and CFD software, combined with the ever increasing incredible speed of Supercomputers.

Last edited:
It's written by your typical know-nothing journalist.

The work is carrying out smoothly and speedily because most of the design work was carried out in the Supercomputer using Advance CAD/CAM, Fluid Dynamic Computational Software, developed by China.

As we can see, the overall shape, and dimension of J-20 changed remarkably little over the years. Yes, there are continuously fine tuning, but no major redesigns. That means they got the it mostly right, the first time.

I bet not one traditional blueprint was needed. It went straight from the CAD/CAM software design to manufacturing. All the design was done within the Supercomputers, which China has plenty now.

I bet one day of work with the Computerized Design Software, is probably equivalent of two months of pencil and drawings on the drafting table.

Traditional design takes literally a mountain of blueprints, for all the parts. Just to draw them and interpret them correctly takes a lot of effort.

This is same with Engine design as in Airframe design. That's why I was confident that J-20 was running with WS-15 from day one, back in 2010.

All the fools, who believes otherwise, have no idea about the power and efficiency of modern CAD/CAM and CFD software.
That is why supercomputer is a major national project and its contribution is tremendous in all scientific area, not some chest thumping number breaking only.

Back
Top Bottom