What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Finally a clear image of the J-20's radar testbed ...

Tu-204C as J-20 radar testbed - 20170203.jpg

And not to forget the wing-like structure on top.

Sensor Wing Installed on F-22 Flying Test Bed

Boeing has installed a unique sensor wing, designed to help test F-22 avionics, on its 757 Flying Test Bed.

The sensor wing gives Boeing the capability to test and integrate U. S. Air Force F-22 avionics in parallel with airframe testing currently under way at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., and long before avionics testing occurs onboard an F-22 aircraft.

Installed on the crown of the modified 757 jet, the sensor wing was designed and built to simulate the same wing sweep and orientation as an F-22 wing. Additionally, communication, navigation and identification (CNI) sensors will be mounted directly on the wing to simulate sensor positioning on the F-22's wings.

Bob Barnes, Boeing F-22 program manager and vice president, said the sensor wing, together with the test bed, will play a crucial role in flight-testing the highly advanced integrated avionics system developed for the F-22 fighter.

"Our test bed will help reduce avionics development costs by enabling extensive in-flight testing, evaluation and troubleshooting before much of the avionics are ever installed on the F-22," Barnes said.

The test avionics will be operated from a simulated F-22 cockpit, which has been installed in the test bed cabin. The cockpit has primary and secondary F-22 displays, as well as the throttle and stick. Software engineers and technicians will be onboard to evaluate the avionics during testing. Avionics flight tests will begin in early 1999.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/1998-12-07-Sensor-Wing-Installed-on-F-22-Flying-Test-Bed

20060213%20Palmdale%20DSC_2940%20757-200%20N757A%20Boeing%20F-22%20Avionics%20left%20side%20nose%20landing%20rev%2020150213%20l.jpg

The RWR is a passive radar detector with more than 30 antennas blended into the wings and fuselage for all-round coverage. Tom Burbage, former F-22 program head at Lockheed Martin, described it as "the most technically complex piece of equipment on the aircraft." The range of the RWR (250+ nmi) exceeds the radar's, and can cue radar emissions to be confined to a narrow beam (down to 2° by 2° in azimuth and elevation) to increase stealth. Depending on the detected threat, the defensive systems can prompt the pilot to release countermeasures such as flares or chaff. According to Bill Sweetman, experts had said the ALR-94 can be used as a passive detection system capable of searching targets and providing enough information for a radar lock on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor#Avionics

(Hence why ALR-94’s antenna are the entire leading edge of the F-22’s wings and other areas) ALR-94 is what makes the F-22 deadly…not the APG-77.

https://defenseissues.net/technology/

aperturecount.jpg

Sensor Wing Installed on F-22 Flying Test Bed

Boeing has installed a unique sensor wing, designed to help test F-22 avionics, on its 757 Flying Test Bed.

The sensor wing gives Boeing the capability to test and integrate U. S. Air Force F-22 avionics in parallel with airframe testing currently under way at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., and long before avionics testing occurs onboard an F-22 aircraft.

Installed on the crown of the modified 757 jet, the sensor wing was designed and built to simulate the same wing sweep and orientation as an F-22 wing. Additionally, communication, navigation and identification (CNI) sensors will be mounted directly on the wing to simulate sensor positioning on the F-22's wings.

Bob Barnes, Boeing F-22 program manager and vice president, said the sensor wing, together with the test bed, will play a crucial role in flight-testing the highly advanced integrated avionics system developed for the F-22 fighter.

"Our test bed will help reduce avionics development costs by enabling extensive in-flight testing, evaluation and troubleshooting before much of the avionics are ever installed on the F-22," Barnes said.

The test avionics will be operated from a simulated F-22 cockpit, which has been installed in the test bed cabin. The cockpit has primary and secondary F-22 displays, as well as the throttle and stick. Software engineers and technicians will be onboard to evaluate the avionics during testing. Avionics flight tests will begin in early 1999.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/1998-12-07-Sensor-Wing-Installed-on-F-22-Flying-Test-Bed

20060213%20Palmdale%20DSC_2940%20757-200%20N757A%20Boeing%20F-22%20Avionics%20left%20side%20nose%20landing%20rev%2020150213%20l.jpg

The RWR is a passive radar detector with more than 30 antennas blended into the wings and fuselage for all-round coverage. Tom Burbage, former F-22 program head at Lockheed Martin, described it as "the most technically complex piece of equipment on the aircraft." The range of the RWR (250+ nmi) exceeds the radar's, and can cue radar emissions to be confined to a narrow beam (down to 2° by 2° in azimuth and elevation) to increase stealth. Depending on the detected threat, the defensive systems can prompt the pilot to release countermeasures such as flares or chaff. According to Bill Sweetman, experts had said the ALR-94 can be used as a passive detection system capable of searching targets and providing enough information for a radar lock on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor#Avionics

(Hence why ALR-94’s antenna are the entire leading edge of the F-22’s wings and other areas) ALR-94 is what makes the F-22 deadly…not the APG-77.

https://defenseissues.net/technology/

View attachment 374162
111534vfjmiofml6rkirsr.jpg

104038xrtorxrxa5twrr7o.jpg

111535u7e7878p0h9zw7te.jpg

111602a40iskgbv9pq7vqr.jpg
111602l8zzpxrdyjgnygtk.jpg

Impressive CG, however I'm still sure that the main bay can only hold two of these larger PL-15 each.

Just a quick question for a modeller, who contacted me: which of the so far delivered operational J-20s has the splinter camouflage ??

From the few images available I would say 78273 & 78174 ?

For 78273 I'm almost sure with the rear fuselage...

J-20A 78273 - 176. Brig - 20170115.jpg

And for 78274 also on the tails...
J-20A 78274 - 176. Brig - 20170115.jpg

prior to getting its number:

J-20A LRIP splinter landing.jpg

bfb71f65gy1fcfzjynbfgj20dw0coq4q.jpg

Impressive CG, however I'm still sure that the main bay can only hold two of these larger PL-15 each.

Just a quick question for a modeller, who contacted me: which of the so far delivered operational J-20s has the splinter camouflage ??

From the few images available I would say 78273 & 78174 ?

For 78273 I'm almost sure with the rear fuselage...

View attachment 374612

And for 78274 also on the tails...View attachment 374613

prior to getting its number:

View attachment 374614
It seems that the third LRIP J-20 has a new splinter patterned painting:smitten:

who invent this nickname? it's better than "fat lightening", so cute! :omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

The name "Lighting II" is not used very frequently. It's simply a dumb name. "fat lightening" may sounds good in Chinese, but will be lost to English audience.

I invented nickname "Flying Pig" for F-35. This Flying Pig will get roasted, since it Can't Climb, Can't Turn, Can't Fight and Can't Run.:laughcry:

Last edited:
The name "Lighting II" is not used very frequently. It's simply a dumb name. "fat lightening" may sounds good in Chinese, but will be lost to English audience.

I invented nickname "Flying Pig" for F-35. This Flying Pig will get roasted, since it Can't Climb, Can't Turn, Can't Fight and Can't Run.:laughcry:
Inventing nicknames is just about the most you can do for this forum.

For the silent readers out there, I offer you a more technically revealing response to these childish name callings by the Chinese members of this forum...

https://defence.pk/threads/f-22-f-3...-news-discussions.179287/page-39#post-9179585

Back
Top Bottom