What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

The State media - <观察者网> also reported this news, saying if the image can be confirmed, the five-digit series means it has deployed in one of the PLAAF Units.
http://www.guancha.cn/military-affairs/2016_12_06_383070.shtml

Based on the PLAAF coding system, the first digit 7 normally means the PLAAF Flight Test Training Center in Hebei Cangzhou, so I guess these J-20s will be used in the Chinese Red Flag exercise. In 2003, the very first batch of J-10 was deployed to this PLAAF unit for test and training.

Maybe 2018

It will be fantastic if the J-20B can be deployed by 2018.

:yahoo:

J-20A 78271 - 176. Brigade Cadder.jpg

Remember this official news report.
"http://www.globaltimes.cn/www/englis...11/483864.html
He Weirong, deputy commander of the PLAAF told China Central Television that military pilots could expect to jump into the most advanced fighter jets in 8 to 10 years that will have stealth capability.
He said that the planes are in development and will match or exceed the capability of similar jets in existence today.

He also said the first flight COULD BE VERY SOON. "

Now, that was 11th November 2009. If anybody believed General He Weirong's words back in 2009, please let me know. I didn't quite believe him, either, to be honest.

Do you still believe his words that J-20 will "match or exceed the capability of similar jets (F-22, F-35, T50) in existence today" or you think that's total B.S?

He also said the first flight COULD BE VERY SOON. That's why I believed the first flight happen in 2010, not Jan. 11, 2011, that was the second jet.

Many observers were surprised by the total casualness of the flight Jan. 11, 2011. While that event was closeness watched and followed by fans around the world, it was a total non-event for the Chengdu Factory workers, not one VIP or audience was on the ground to watch the flight.

5th Generation Stealth Fighters could carries 6 long range missiles for BVR battles, but they typically carry only two short range missiles for dog fights. That's not a lot compared to 4th generation fighters which have many mount points, and could carry up to 12-16 short range missiles. Normally, if you ran out of missiles, you could run away. But if you are a stealth fighter guarding an important asset like a AWAC or oil tanker, that is not a very good option.

So having a dedicated 5th generation dog fighter which could carry huge number of short range missiles for dog fighting might be a good idea. This is a artist's conception of J-20 carry 16 missiles. Pretty crazy.

View attachment 358142

What do you think, folks?

View attachment 358146

Look like crap.

It will be fantastic if the J-20B can be deployed by 2018.
Given the only difference between the interim and final version of FWS15 is the materials used in the engine parts, and taking into account of the latest Chinese breakthrough in new material and process technique,it is not too optimistic to expect the J-20 powered by the final version of FWS15 coming out around 2018. Now the 78271 has deployed to the Brigade170/172 at FTTC, it will take around one year for J-20 to become IOC or 形成战斗力 in Chinese terms like J-10 did back in 2003. So everything seems to point to that direction.

I have the feeling the authorities has decided to declassify some info about J-20 as there are more these materials are being made public. For instance I found this <<Research on the development strategy of Chinese fighter aircraft>> on the net ,which outlines the whole process of the J-20's development. Viewing at hindsight, It clearly clear out many of the questions about J-20 from the outsiders like us. It makes me more confident about my belief that J-20 is powered by the Chinese engines based on one simple reason:J-20 must have turned out as planned in terms of its engine,radar,stealth,weapons, etc;otherwise the authorities would not publish its original plan to embarrass themselves.

Note under the <<Research on the development strategy of Chinese fighter aircraft>>, J-20 would use Taihang engine from day one.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Shenyang XXJ - J-14 5th Generation Fighter

It's time to take a walk down the memory lane. Remember those fan arts post 10 years ago, on Sept 2006? It looks very close to the real thing we have today, except the tail is not all moving.

upload_2016-12-6_15-46-56.png

upload_2016-12-6_15-47-12.png

Given the only difference between the interim and final version of FWS15 is the materials used in the engine parts, and taking into account of the latest Chinese breakthrough in new material and process technique,it is not too optimistic to expect the J-20 powered by the final version of FWS15 coming out around 2018. Now the 78271 has deployed to the Brigade170/172 at FTTC, it will take around one year for J-20 to become IOC or 形成战斗力 in Chinese terms like J-10 did back in 2003. So everything seems to point to that direction.

I have the feeling the authorities has decided to declassify some info about J-20 as there are more these materials are being made public. For instance I found this <<Research on the development strategy of Chinese fighter aircraft>> on the net ,which outlines the whole process of the J-20's development. Viewing at hindsight, It clearly clear out many of the questions about J-20 from the outsiders like us. It makes me more confident about my belief that J-20 is powered by the Chinese engines based on one simple reason:J-20 must have turned out as planned in terms of its engine,radar,stealth,weapons, etc;otherwise the authorities would not publish its original plan to embarrass themselves.

Note under the <<Research on the development strategy of Chinese fighter aircraft>>, J-20 would use Taihang engine from day one.
View attachment 358253
View attachment 358254

View attachment 358255

View attachment 358256
View attachment 358261
View attachment 358258

Many big shrimps also said that the POTUS after Obama will be a hardcore fascist one since many years ago, so China has definitely foreseen a guy like Trump will come to power decade ago.

The year 2020 will be an extremely critical year, China needs overwhelming leverage to maintain the stability.

Last edited:

View attachment 358253
View attachment 358254

View attachment 358255

View attachment 358256
View attachment 358261
View attachment 358258

Can you post the Chinese name of this document and where you found it? Thanks!

True, Stealth fighter itself is high value, but AWACs and Oil Tankers are of even higher values in a mission. You better guard them very well.

The F-22 engine has160kN and it was developed in the 1980's. F-35's engine has 190 kN Thrust, and it was developed in the 1990's.

Now, it's 25 years later, China has developed super Titanium alloy for aviation and many new processes and manufacturing techniques. It's entirely possible that WS-15 will have >200kN thrust. That may not be a lot more compared to F-35's 190kN, but it will be 25% greater than F-22's 160kN. This is a huge advantage in thrust, and with J-20 bigger range. It can chase down anybody who wants to run in a aerial battle.

I am not saying China is now leading in engine technology. Not at all. US has developed the WS-15 class engine 25 years ago.

F-35 has only 1 engine.

Anyway J-20s will eat F-35s for breakfast. Only the F-22 has any chance against J-20.

Last edited:
Many big shrimps also said that the POTUS after Obama will be a hardcore fascist one since many years ago, so China has definitely foreseen a guy like Trump will come to power decade ago.

The year 2020 will be an extremely critical year, China needs overwhelming leverage to maintain the stability.
People don't understand us can't under this. This is what China has been doing - racing with time; and this is why we are seeing FWS10B, FWS15 interim and FWS15.
Can you post the Chinese name of this document and where you found it? Thanks!
《我国战斗机发展战略研究》
http://www.fyjs.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1841753&fromuid=66

Yep, even the J-20A is already a beast, and the J-20B will be the juggernaut, a true 5++ aircraft with many features of the 6th gen aircraft.

I do not even think the current F-22 can take on J-20 as it will have much more modern electronics and will be equipped with the 500km AAM.

I do not even think the current F-22 can take on J-20 as it will have much more modern electronics and will be equipped with the 500km AAM.

The J-20A's late avionics/radar and long range AAM is definitely a huge bonus against the earlier developed F-22.

That's why the US is now desperate to re-open the production line of the F-22 and to upgrade it, but they made a huge strategic blunder by vastly underestimating China and its potential. Now, they are paying a heavy price for their ego.

People don't understand us can't under this. This is what China has been doing - racing with time; and this is why we are seeing FWS10B, FWS15 interim and FWS15.

《我国战斗机发展战略研究》
http://www.fyjs.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1841753&fromuid=66

Only the netizens from Meyet has grasped China's pattern of the development, while other military forumers are still beating around the bush and not having confidence on their Motherland.

Back
Top Bottom