What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

@Deino
Hey, mod, have you been following the recent discussion about J-20 debut? The word on the street now is that J-20 is using domestic engine with vector thrust (despite only slightly). One video clearly shows the engine nozzle was bent down and then bent up right before the jet went vertical.

Add a gif

005022pdebdc8nbhg1gghh.gif

I highly doubt that thrust-vectoring nozzles are used since we've never observed the mechanisms for thrust vectoring. Most likely it's just a trick of the light caused by heated exhaust.

Looks nice, we should build some too.
ban for export :hitwall:

@Deino
Hey, mod, have you been following the recent discussion about J-20 debut? The word on the street now is that J-20 is using domestic engine with vector thrust (despite only slightly). One video clearly shows the engine nozzle was bent down and then bent up right before the jet went vertical.

Add a gif

005022pdebdc8nbhg1gghh.gif
May be its a domestic engine but not thrust vectoring, i didn't see any TVC in your gif

Last edited by a moderator:
@Deino

IMO there is nothing special even more if You compare the exhaust to the nearly hundreds of high-resolution images otherwise available; they are exactly the same as before.

I can fully understand that on the street the hype and expectations are high and even the slightest bit of "could be" will be eagerly picked up, but again: Just compare the detailed images ... there's nothing special.

IMO that gif. is simply too blurred.

Deino

starting at 1:05, I think the retired general said the 2 J-20 in the show were using Chinese made engines. The current Chinese engines for J-20s are good enough but WS-15s would provide greater power for J-20s. Can anyone confirm?

It's stated @1:03 that the J-20s in the video were using domestic engines

@Deino @Beast

1)2001 and 2002 were technology demonstrators @2:09
2)2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 were prototypes @02:29
3)2101 and 2102 were 'golden-armored' varaints
4)The person in the video admitted that for now, the engines are 3 or 3.5(4 or 4.5 in western context) generation engines(WS-10x?) and is thus, lacking behind the F-22 in regards to supercruising.

Last edited:
It's stated @1:03 that the J-20s in the video were using domestic engines

@Deino @Beast

1)2001 and 2002 were technology demonstrators @2:09
2)2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 were prototypes @02:29
3)2101 and 2102 were 'golden-armored' varaints
4)The person in the video admitted that for now, the engines are 3 or 3.5(4 or 4.5 in western context) generation engines(WS-10x?) and is thus, lacking behind the F-22 in regards to supercruising.

Interesting, since it confirms what we know since some time: 200x = demonstrators, 201x = prototypes ,,, but concerning the engine I'm sure he is wrong !

Anyway I would love to see some official data and may it be only on dimensions.

Deino

Interesting, since it confirms what we know since some time: 200x = demonstrators, 201x = prototypes ,,, but concerning the engine I'm sure he is wrong !

Anyway I would love to see some official data and may it be only on dimensions.

Deino

I tried to be fair by thinking that the J-20s are still using the Al-31 series engines. But this time round, i think i will go with Beast's opinion.

You stubbornly still refuse to accept WS-10B/G? Or you want to argue the petal is still the same short as WS-10A? I gues the fact you are too afraid to lose to me clouds your judgement? From the photo, the petal is clearly much longer and not the short petal. Why are you avoiding this point?

Welcome WS-10G :enjoy:

I don't deny the WS-10B and also don't argue that it is maybe different; I simply note, that these inner pedals are still there ... but Your stubbornness is based on Your wish to assume it now surely looks like an AL-31 so the engines on the J-20 are these new WS-10. And that's still off.

Again may I remind You on the latest fact-check concerning Your claims ??

Deino

J-20 will go into service with domestic engine. That is for sure.

Are there any estimation on how many LRIP J-20As are already flying ??

But You shouldn't be too disappionted:cray: if the PLAAF confirms it as an AL-31 ! :smart:

However I would not hold by breath to see a J-20 at Zhuhai this year ...

But You shouldn't be too disappionted:cray: if the PLAAF confirms it as an AL-31 ! :smart:

Any proof for Your claim ??

Ähh Sorry, how could I forget, Beast never proofs anything, he simply "knows" ...

Shall we bet ??? :devil:

BY the way I'm sorry due to this completely wrong post but with my tiny handy i made only a typo ... in Germany on a keyboard-layout, the "T" is exactly left-next to the "Z" ... so I hope that does not hurt too much.

Deino

What is the stake?

Just make a proposal ?? ... just for fun.:yahoo:

You cease to your account and stop posting here. I bet the J-20 will enter service with PLAAF with donestic engine. If not, I cease mine and stop posting in PDF.

But then we need to be more precicely ! The point that the J-20 will enter with domestic engines is not a question, that's IMO a fact ... but only a matter of time until the WS-15 will be ready.

The point we don't agree since some time is that You always claim that the aircraft already flying - especially these latest LRIP birds - are powered by a WS-10-derivate; and that's wrong in my opinion.

As such if You agree on our bet in the following terms:

I will resign completely from this forum even as a member and moderator if it is confirmed that the current prototypes and especially LRIP aircraft are using a WS-10-derivate. And You will resign here if it is confirmed an AL-31F or FN derivate.

Agreed ? ... so let the fun begin.

The LRIP will enter service soon. I am sure J-20 will not goes into service with a AL-31 series. Since you are so sure, those AL-31 series engine is still on those LRIP. Why not u take the plug and bet on LRIP will still use a AL-31 series engine?

Deino

Beast, ... no rowing back from Your own claims !! You said already several times, that these birds are now powered by a WS-10-derivate ... and my bet is against that claim. What will happen in the future is irrelevant to Your claims.

As such, You have my stake/proposal on the table ... this or nothing !

Deino

I never promise u anything so stop putting words into my mouth. This is my proposal for the bet. Take it or leave it.

So much on Your credibilty, integrity ... either too arrogant or too cowardly to admit even Your own quotes.
But just typical: Big mouth without any substance, then getting personally rude and then in the end without any consequences on retreat.

Anyway, then leave it and other could judge who's right or wrong.

Deino

You are the coward who claim J-20 will enter service with LRIP with AL-31 and now dare not bet with me on this issue. So now you turn the table on me? What a moderator you are. :enjoy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom