What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

IMO simply bias and surely most simply have no idea on stealth since Northrop Grumman - and they are not unknown in the field of stealth - proposed a delta-canard derivate of the ATF/YF-23 for the NAT program and the latest proposal for Boeing's 6th generation fighter is also a delta-canard design !!! So they are all wrong too ??
The issue here is planform alignment.

The J-20's defenders argued that the aircraft's canards' roots are on the same plane as the wings. That is a misunderstanding of low radar observability planform alignment.

j-20_rafale_mig144.jpg

It is not the roots that matters. It is the dihedral (upswept angle) of the canards, as shown above. Diffraction signals off the canards will approach the fuselage and wings differently than if the canards have no dihedral.

So just because there is a conceptual proposal whose design have canards, that does not mean how they are arrayed in relation to other structures do not matter.

In designing a low radar observable body, there are three guidelines to take into consideration:

- Control of quantity of radiators
- Control of array of radiators
- Control of modes of radiation

Those guidelines are not meant to be 'broken', rather, it is about the degrees of obedience to them. To date, the B-2 is the most obedience to those guidelines. The most obedient body is the sphere.

If we go by visual appearance alone, the J-20 is less obedient to those guidelines than the F-22 and F-35. The Australians' criticisms of the F-35's bumps are off base. The J-20 is less obedient in terms of control of quantity and array of radiators, and we are looking at the major flight control structures.

J-20 Uses Homegrown WS-15, More Powerful, Reliable than Russian AL-31F
Posted: September 19, 2016 | Author: chankaiyee2 |

series-produced-j-20-using-ws-15.jpg

The above photo of series produced J-20 proves that it uses China’s WS-15 engines as there are no grooves on the nozzles of its engines.

The photo below is the nozzle of Russian AL-31F engine used on J-20 prototypes. There are two groves on the nozzle.
al-31f-nozzle.jpg

The photo below is the nozzle of China’s homegrown WS-15 engine with no grooves on it.
ws-15-nozzle.jpg

According to the photo below, WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. The AL-31F’s nozzle has shrunk so that the speed of smoke is much higher than that of the WS-15 with nozzle not shrunk while they produce similar thrust for the J-20.
comparison-between-al-31f-and-ws-15.jpg

The article reveals that the temperature before turbine is 1,474 degree Celsius in WS-15, the highest in the world. No wonder WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. Its reliability lies between Western and Russian ones with a life of 900 hours longer than AL-31F.

Since the engine problem has been solved, J-20 can be regarded as a capable modern stealth fighter as it has satisfactory electronics and stealth shape.

Source: mil.news.sina.com.cn “Depth Column: It is certain that homegrown WS-15 engines are installed on J-20: Reliability surpasses Russian engine?” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

J-20 Uses Homegrown WS-15, More Powerful, Reliable than Russian AL-31F
Posted: September 19, 2016 | Author: chankaiyee2 |

View attachment 336005
The above photo of series produced J-20 proves that it uses China’s WS-15 engines as there are no grooves on the nozzles of its engines.

The photo below is the nozzle of Russian AL-31F engine used on J-20 prototypes. There are two groves on the nozzle.
View attachment 336006

The photo below is the nozzle of China’s homegrown WS-15 engine with no grooves on it.
View attachment 336007

According to the photo below, WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. The AL-31F’s nozzle has shrunk so that the speed of smoke is much higher than that of the WS-15 with nozzle not shrunk while they produce similar thrust for the J-20.
View attachment 336008

The article reveals that the temperature before turbine is 1,474 degree Celsius in WS-15, the highest in the world. No wonder WS-15 is much more powerful than AL-31F. Its reliability lies between Western and Russian ones with a life of 900 hours longer than AL-31F.

Since the engine problem has been solved, J-20 can be regarded as a capable modern stealth fighter as it has satisfactory electronics and stealth shape.

Source: mil.news.sina.com.cn “Depth Column: It is certain that homegrown WS-15 engines are installed on J-20: Reliability surpasses Russian engine?” (summary by Chan Kai Yee based on the report in Chinese)

Sorry, but what a piece of crappy BS !!!!

Nothing has been proofed, no WS-15 is ready and surely not operational and this is the worst part:

Using images of an PW-F100 installed in an F-16C to proof is plain stupid.

The author simply does not see that "grooves" is due to different convergent/divergent settings of the nozzle ... and by the way, how could an image proof that an engine has more thrust?

Deino

An interesting side-note ... it's impressive how "small" (aka flat) the J-20 is in comparison to a Flanker !

View attachment 336142

The angled tail give the profile a reduced height but I wonder about the length from what is published I see three different values but it sure has a large presence.

The height of the tails give distorted visual perception on size and length.

I modified tails of J-20. Now the visual perception is different. Amazing how our brains worked. :woot:

J-20 + 2x Flanker at the CFTE - 20_9_16 part.jpg

The angled tail give the profile a reduced height but I wonder about the length from what is published I see three different values but it sure has a large presence.

Why, the most reliable sources state a length of roughly 20m++ ... and as such slightly less than a Flanker. Similar results are for the span of about 13.5m

This one below is an estimation I made some time ago (posted at first at the SDF) based on a satellite image with a J-15 standing side by side to a J-20:
J-20 dimensions - Deino.jpg

Can anyone confirm ? ... at the CDF someone posted:

yexu said:
Rumor time, Xi is currently in Chengdu CAC to preside over the inauguration of the J20. First batch of 40 aircrafts, planned to finish in 3 years.

Ohhhhhh ... come on, show us some nice shots similar to the ones during the Y-20's service introduction !! :brow:

Can anyone confirm ? ... at the CDF someone posted:

Ohhhhhh ... come on, show us some nice shots similar to the ones during the Y-20's service introduction !! :brow:

I am wondering why every piece of word from this menber of top81.net is forwarded to all military forums

https://defence.pk/posts/8716854/

Interesting, I was in the Turkish forum and a number of Turkish members seem to think Turkey leads China in aviation :lol:

I mentioned aircraft like the J-20 and the response was interesting.

Please don't compare us with them in aviation or in fact in whatever, i take that as an insult
And just a friendly advice, "stay out of their jungle" my friend, if only you know what i mean:azn:

https://defence.pk/posts/8716854/

Interesting, I was in the Turkish forum and a number of Turkish members seem to think Turkey leads China in aviation :lol:

I mentioned aircraft like the J-20 and the response was interesting.

No need to refer other sections or nation that too to provoke as all are PDF sections.

Every nation has her credibility for such developments no matter what keyboard warriors, scientist and aviation experts use to say. J-20 is going to be a beast in air indeed and Turkey has other areas being expert and advancing.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom