What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

J-20's side weapons bay test photo, the missile looks like new PL-10:tup:

lcHJF1Z.jpg

I think the intention was to avoid Aerodynamic drag(and strain) arising from those bay doors opening

The question would be, what creates more drag, the bay doors of the F35, that opens only for a few seconds, or the whole process of opening, closing (twice) and the extracted rail launcher that will be out for the whole time. For the SR missile bays this systems might not be optimal, but I wonder if a similar system has advantages for the main weapon bay, since the doors there are bigger and draggier.

The yellow parts fill up the "gap", so to speak, when the weapons bay closes. I guess this is done as an RCS reduction measure, but I could be wrong.

Just wondered, because these "gaps" could have been closed simply by making the doors a bit larger:

3a6voyxx.gif

The question would be, what creates more drag, the bay doors of the F35, that opens only for a few seconds, or the whole process of opening, closing (twice) and the extracted rail launcher that will be out for the whole time. For the SR missile bays this systems might not be optimal, but I wonder if a similar system has advantages for the main weapon bay, since the doors there are bigger and draggier.

Just wondered, because these "gaps" could have been closed simply by making the doors a bit larger:

3a6voyxx.gif

No it couldn't. The gaps are there so the guid rail could stick out when the bay door is closed.

Some GIF:
0_1364266253_3430768.gif

1_1364266253_3430768.gif

2_1364266253_3430768.gif

But I have a question, whether it waste the space, only one missile, I think it should have other better solution!!

Back
Top Bottom