What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Really?

Extends vertically? The pictures prove otherwise:

I don’t see anything vertical, so it is you who is blind. We have concluded that your claim is bogus. If you still want to stick to your failed claim which clearly is debunked with photographic evidence than the J-20 also has a corner reflector.

The airduct doesn't have to be exactly vertical. Look closely at your photograph. The mid-portion is nearly vertical. The T-50/Pak-Fa fuselage-airduct corner is not a perfect corner reflector, but it approximates one.

Ow0DJ.jpg

It is undeniable that radar waves will bounce off the T-50/Pak-Fa fuselage, reflect off the airduct, and return to the emitter. You cannot argue away the non-stealthiness of the uneven underside.

A mere technicality. I'm not labeling the photograph with "leading edge component of the wing" gap. If you want to do that, label your own photograph.
Convenient. But then again, that is what we here at PDF is used to seeing in believers of 'Chinese physics'. Your crap may be eagerly swallowed up over at CDF and sino, but not here. So far, it is unlikely that the admin staff will ban me to protect you.

The airduct doesn't have to be exactly vertical. Look closely at your photograph. The mid-portion is nearly vertical. The T-50/Pak-Fa fuselage-airduct corner is not a perfect corner reflector, but it approximates one.
That will be seen only in certain aspect angle.

Nice try, but it is either a 90 degree cornor or it is not. In your eyes i'm sure it does look 'nearly vertical' since you see things in a negative light when it comes to the pak-fa.

I can also play the same game and claim that the J-20's vertical stabs/tail fins are also almost a 90 degree angle, so without you even realizing it your own claim just backfired. Now the J-20's tail fins create a corner reflector.

Regarding the J-20 vertical stabilizer and ventral fin, if you trace the angle then you'll realize it is an obtuse angle and not 90 degrees.
Does not have to be 90 deg.

reflector_corner_patterns.jpg

The most popular corner reflector in marine safety is the 90 deg type, specifically the trihedral design. However, the 60 and 120 type are sometimes used when high accuracy is not necessary and when wind load are taken into consideration. So as far as the J-20's vertical stabs goes, they do form corner reflectors with a lower intensity level than the exact 90 deg type. This is applicable to the PAK and the F-22 as well.

Convenient. But then again, that is what we here at PDF is used to seeing in believers of 'Chinese physics'. Your crap may be eagerly swallowed up over at CDF and sino, but not here. So far, it is unlikely that the admin staff will ban me to protect you.

That will be seen only in certain aspect angle.

You don't even know what an airfoil means.

Give me a break, I never complained about any of your posts at SDF. To date (in over two years), I have only complained once to the moderators here at PDF about you and that was when you posted twenty comments in 24 hours. I wrote, "can you do something about it." That's it.

Airfoil | Define Airfoil at Dictionary.com

"air·foil
   [air-foil] Show IPA
noun Aeronautics .
any surface, as a wing, aileron, or stabilizer, designed to aid in lifting or controlling an aircraft by making use of the air currents through which it moves."

Nice try, but it is either a 90 degree cornor or it is not. In your eyes i'm sure it does look 'nearly vertical' since you see things in a negative light when it comes to the pak-fa.

I can also play the same game and claim that the J-20's vertical stabs/tail fins are also almost a 90 degree angle, so without you even realizing it your own claim just backfired. Now the J-20's tail fins create a corner reflector.

We've been through this before. Last time, I said F-22 and J-20 are imperfect as well. However, the F-22 and J-20 are far stealthier than T-50/Pak-Fa. The F-22 and J-20 have a flat and smooth underside to reflect radar away from the transmitter. How many times do I have to repeat that?

You don't even know what an airfoil means.

Airfoil | Define Airfoil at Dictionary.com

"air·foil
   [air-foil] Show IPA
noun Aeronautics .
any surface, as a wing, aileron, or stabilizer, designed to aid in lifting or controlling an aircraft by making use of the air currents through which it moves."
Better than you do. The proper context for 'surface' does not mean a portion of a structure. In aviation, something which you do not have experience, the word 'surface' usually mean a flight control element. What the PAK have is not that much different in function than leading edge flaps, or as we in the F-16 community call it -- slat. But we do not call it an 'airfoil'.

It is undeniable that radar waves will bounce off the fuselage, reflect off the airduct, and return to the emitter. You cannot argue away the non-stealthiness of the uneven underside.

So how is that any different to a wing and outer fuselage? It isn't. And it does not change the fact that your statement contradicts itself.

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you guys. This isn't dictionary class. I'm discussing stealth.

How many times do I have so say this? I'm calling it a "front airfoil gap" and not that long technical gibberish, which no one can remember.

From my post #1829:

A mere technicality. I'm not labeling the photograph with "leading edge component of the wing" gap. If you want to do that, label your own photograph.

Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you guys. This isn't dictionary class. I'm discussing stealth.

How many times do I have so say this? I'm calling it a "front airfoil gap" and not that long technical gibberish, which no one can remember.
I work with real physics. The kind that Jesus created.

You two keep arguing over trivial stuff, which I find annoying. If you are done, I would like to hear Dr. Somnath's response. He made a provocative post and let's see if he's changed his mind.

----------

Reply to J-20 and Rafale canards comparison

1. The J-20 Mighty Dragon does not need a saw-tooth design at the rear of the canard, because the J-20 canard is made of composite material, shaped to deflect radar away from transmitter, RAM-coated (which Rafale lacks), and the canard-fuselage intersection is specifically designed to deflect radar. In conclusion, the J-20 canard is very stealthy.

The claim that the J-20 canard gap is a corner reflector is not true. Go ahead and try to draw a ray trace diagram to show a corner reflector. You cannot. It is a surface discontinuity as a tiny radar source. This kind of surface discontinuity is also seen in the T-50/Pak-Fa's airfoil gap and main wing control surfaces for the F-22, J-20, and T-50/Pak-Fa.

In my opinion, the Rafale canard design is clearly inferior. The Rafale built a thick structure to avoid a continuity gap. The round Rafale nose (which is not shaped) and the attendant large canard bridge are terrible for stealth. I think they designed it this way for structural integrity. [I'll label the problems on the Rafale later tonight when I return]

T-50/Pak-Fa Front Airfoil Gap Back-end is not shaped to deflect radar

lUd1k.jpg

T-50/Pak-Fa front airfoil gap will reflect radar when it bounces off the back end.

emtaK.jpg

Another look at T-50/Pak-Fa radar-reflecting back-end of front airfoil gap.

mVPEo.jpg

Notice the subtle angled curve of the J-20 Mighty Dragon canard back-end to deflect radar.

----------

2. J-20 slightly-rounded LERX is a minor criticism. It can be easily fixed. It is trivial.

3. The third point about the angle of the J-20's wings is without merit. I have already written a post to compare the planform alignment of the J-20, F-22, and T-50/Pak-Fa. It is silly to argue for more planform alignment angles on the J-20.

The shape of the main wings is designed to match the aerodynamics of an aircraft. The J-20 has canards and its wing shape is the most appropriate aerodynamically for the aircraft. The guiding design principle is "form follows function" and not why don't you copy design features from other planes.

----------

Explanation of corner reflector (a 90 degree angle):

Illustration of corner reflector on T-50/Pak Fa

For example, let me illustrate why the T-50's uneven underside is not stealthy.

p6wTw.jpg

The uneven underside on the T-50/Pak-Fa third prototype creates a natural 90-degree angle. This allows enemy radar to reflect off the fuselage, bounce off the inside-face of the air-inlet, and return to the transmitter/detector for detection.

----------

Off-topic: Nice try Mr. Somnath. However, this nit-picking won't work. You need to find a major flaw to grab people's attention. The only major flaw on the J-20 is the round engine nozzles. The J-20 engine nozzles are serrated like the F-35, but they are clearly not as stealthy (in both radar and infrared wavelengths) as the F-22.

----------

French Rafale is a very non-stealthy 4th generation fighter

gWYVR.jpg

Mr. Somnath picked a terrible example in the French Rafale when he attempted to illustrate a perceived deficiency in the J-20 Mighty Dragon canard design. The French Rafale is not to be emulated in any way in the design of a 5th generation stealth fighter. The round shielding to hide the canard gap is far less stealthy than the J-20 canard's elegant back-end to deflect radar.

repeating posts might help in brainwashing. here on pdf it makes you look like a tool.
nobody is buying your BS, although I understand it may be tied to your wages, in which case please continue :tup:

I roll my eyes at you two dummies. My J-20 stealth fighter video has been seen over 88,000 times worldwide. If I felt like it, I could make another J-20 video for everyone around the world to see. No one has ever heard of you two and they never will.

Back
Top Bottom