What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

J-10A and J-10S
49eca83dgy1ggsqnslk99j21kw0w07dk.jpg

Via 央广军事 and @沉默的山羊 from Weibo

I have no idea whether this video was shared here before or not but any way I saw it on the Russia defence forum shared by a member (Cyberspec)

I have no idea whether this video was shared here before or not but any way I saw it on the Russia defence forum shared by a member (Cyberspec)
Already posted by some one 2 page ago but duration is much shorter

Pupu says there will be a huge change to the J-10 this year, also implying that it will no longer be a 4th generation fighter. Huge news for the J-10.

https://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2634204-1-1.html

View attachment 650266
The evolution of J10C to the J10NG (Next Generation) would have to have upgrade on
1) More powerful engine
2) Electronics specs on the level of J20 where space and power generation permit
3) LO stealth, probably including canted V tails
4) Concealed weapon stores
5) Probably larger fuselage to accommodate more fuel and thus larger combat range (eg. F/A-18 Hornet's evolution to larger Super Hornet).
6) Air intake changed from chin location to sides, so as to provide space for concealed weapon store as well as S shape air intake duct for better stealth. (refer nose air intake J8 to side air intake J8A as precedence).

(1), (2) and (3) above are almost a certainty except the canted V tails, (4), (5) and (6) are speculative (my 2 cents).
regarding this Pupu, what is his track record? did he ever get anything wrong or was he always right?

I'm saying that because personaly I highly doubt there would be a single engined 5th gen fighter, a 5th gen J-10 will be much heavier than the latest J-10, and will weigh as much as the F-35, I didn't find any reliable source about the weight of J-31 however from wikipedia the F-35 actually weighs as much as a J-31! in other words a 5th gen J-10 will weigh the same as a J-31 but it will have one big engine instead of two smaller ones, there is no point in having two fighters in the same weight class, also if this alleged single engined 5th gen fighter is supposed to be some competition to J-31, I believe the PLAAF will choose J-31 over 5th gen J-10, just my hunch.

that is why personaly I believe if there is any new variant of the J-10 it will not be a brand new 5th gen fighter, instead a new J-10 will just use some of the electronics used by the J-20 as a stop gap because perhaps J-20 production is still not enough.

regarding this Pupu, what is his track record? did he ever get anything wrong or was he always right?
His track record is excellent. I don't think anyone has a perfect track record but his definitely comes close.
I'm saying that because personaly I highly doubt there would be a single engined 5th gen fighter, a 5th gen J-10 will be much heavier than the latest J-10, and will weigh as much as the F-35, I didn't find any reliable source about the weight of J-31 however from wikipedia the F-35 actually weighs as much as a J-31! in other words a 5th gen J-10 will weigh the same as a J-31 but it will have one big engine instead of two smaller ones, there is no point in having two fighters in the same weight class, also if this alleged single engined 5th gen fighter is supposed to be some competition to J-31, I believe the PLAAF will choose J-31 over 5th gen J-10, just my hunch.

that is why personaly I believe if there is any new variant of the J-10 it will not be a brand new 5th gen fighter, instead a new J-10 will just use some of the electronics used by the J-20 as a stop gap because perhaps J-20 production is still not enough.
The F-35 is a single engined 5th generation fighter the last time I checked :-). Pupu was definitely not talking about a brand new single engined stealth fighter based on the J-10 ... he stated that the J-10 was going to receive major upgrades that would place it into the 5th generation category. Likely, it will come with some LO features such as stealthy exhaust nozzles and more powerful avionics/ew capabilities. But nevertheless a major upgrade (not a new fighter) as he states.

I personally found it a bit surprising the J-10 was going to receive a very large upgrade considering most of CAC is now focusing on the J-20. But I guess there is still a large team behind it and the PLAAF still wants the J-10, so much so once the WS-15 becomes operational within a few years, the J-10 will likely be equipped with it.

it is indeed up to debate whether the J10NG will be entering PLAAF service or not as naval J35 is almost a certainty to have maiden flight next year.

It will depend on cost of J10NG and the decommission rates of early generation fighters, falling into a dire situation where there is not enough new jets to replace old ones like in a certain South Asian country is not an option.

The non-stealth J7/J8/Flankers/J10 have limited future if your expected enemies are going to deploy 5th gen stealth jets, thus these older gen jets need to be replaced in a pace depending on intensity of external threat which currently is getting hotter as time pass.

If J10C and J16 cannot fight off a J20, and if the score is like 10 losses to nil in BVR fight, continuing production of J10C and J16 is less attractive. Thus a J10NG with improved stealth is logical, and suit the constrains of annual military budget.

If J35 can be produced fast enough to replace all older gen jets and stay within the limit of military budget, then J10NG's chance of serving PLAAF may be very slim.

There is also a question whether PLAAF will adopt the navy's J35 or choose their own variant. And what is the time line for the air force's variant to enter mass production?

Last edited:
it is indeed up to debate whether the J10NG will be entering PLAAF service or not as naval J35 is almost a certainty to have maiden flight next year.

It will depend on cost of J10NG and the decommission rates of early generation fighters, falling into a dire situation where there is not enough new jets to replace old ones like in a certain South Asian country is not an option.

The non-stealth J7/J8/Flankers/J10 have limited future if your expected enemies are going to deploy 5th gen stealth jets, thus these older gen jets need to be replaced in a pace depending on intensity of external threat which currently is getting hotter as time pass.

If J10C and J16 cannot fight off a J20, and if the score is like 10 losses to nil in BVR fight, continuing production of J10C and J16 is less attractive. Thus a J10NG with improved stealth is logical, and suit the constrains of annual military budget.

If J35 can be produced fast enough to replace all older gen jets and stay within the limit of military budget, then J10NG's chance of serving PLAAF may be very slim.

There is also a question whether PLAAF will adopt the navy's J35 or choose their own variant. And what is the time line for the air force's variant to enter mass production?
What is J10NG never heard any version of J10 named J10NG

It is just my term for Next Generation, just like Grippen NG or Mirage III NG, normally used for undesignated next generation project for many previous aircraft in the past.

It is just my term for Next Generation, just like Grippen NG or Mirage III NG, normally used for undesignated next generation project for many previous aircraft in the past.
Yep, J-20 also can be called a dual-engine version of J-10.:cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom