What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

What does length have to do with unbalanced..
I surprised most of you who otherwise seem fairly knowledgeable are using the length of the jet to judge it.
The F-104 was one of the most ill proportioned looking fighters out there.. long slim body.. small thin razor sharp wings.. but it was good at what it did.
On the other hand.. look at the northdrop wings.. by all means they should be rolling end over end.. yet they arent.
Aircraft are designed using a lot more factors then length..
Any one want to know about the length of the SR-71?..

The T-50 is more wing and less fuselage.. blended wings, contoured fuselage .. all give the jet maximum lift area.
in fact the way its shaped in the nose probably generates a little lift.
Concurrently.. the J-10's shape is well suited for a high instantaneous rate..
And Im quite sure the designers did not look at it and think "hey thats too long.. it looks bad for feng shui.. ".

Wow..the stuff u guys come up with. :D

Agreed. Perhaps we can have an aircraft beauty contest in another thread.

Guys, how come just 1-2 mt difference in length make any aircraft unbalanced. There are so many other laws applied while designing an fighter aircraft. Do you think Sukhoi which is manufacturing fighter aircrafts from decade they are developing an unbalanced aircraft because its 20 mts long. BTW F-22 raptor is around 19 mt long. Will this logic will apply for F-22 also ??

u missed the point mate....he was saying exactly what your saying with regards to J-10b apparently being too long to be stable.

cheers :D

What does length have to do with unbalanced..
I surprised most of you who otherwise seem fairly knowledgeable are using the length of the jet to judge it.
The F-104 was one of the most ill proportioned looking fighters out there.. long slim body.. small thin razor sharp wings.. but it was good at what it did.
On the other hand.. look at the northdrop wings.. by all means they should be rolling end over end.. yet they arent.
Aircraft are designed using a lot more factors then length..
Any one want to know about the length of the SR-71?..

The T-50 is more wing and less fuselage.. blended wings, contoured fuselage .. all give the jet maximum lift area.
in fact the way its shaped in the nose probably generates a little lift.
Concurrently.. the J-10's shape is well suited for a high instantaneous rate..
And Im quite sure the designers did not look at it and think "hey thats too long.. it looks bad for feng shui.. ".

Wow..the stuff u guys come up with. :D

No one is judging the performance of J-10 with only looks. However I still maintain that it looks longer than wide and hence look unbalanced. All the examples you gave are correct, however since we are all here discussing here about J-10 therefore I pointed out my observation. And I can see I am not the only person who thinks that.

About the performance I am sure it will be very good.

Could anyone state the specs which the J-10B is pressumably gonna have?

No one is judging the performance of J-10 with only looks. However I still maintain that it looks longer than wide and hence look unbalanced. All the examples you gave are correct, however since we are all here discussing here about J-10 therefore I pointed out my observation. And I can see I am not the only person who thinks that.

About the performance I am sure it will be very good.

Hi,

Actually---the visuals tell a lot about the aircraft---to an observant eye---to an aeronautical design engineer. With a good computer programme and the know how---a competent analyst can tell you what a plane can do---.

Americans are the best at it.

Guys, how come just 1-2 mt difference in length make any aircraft unbalanced. There are so many other laws applied while designing an fighter aircraft. Do you think Sukhoi which is manufacturing fighter aircrafts from decade they are developing an unbalanced aircraft because its 20 mts long. BTW F-22 raptor is around 19 mt long. Will this logic will apply for F-22 also ??

I m not saying PAK FA is unbalance, i was replying to the post of fellow indians who were saying that J-10b looks unbalanced even its 4m shorter in length as compared to PAK-FA.

Hi,

Actually---the visuals tell a lot about the aircraft---to an observant eye---to an aeronautical design engineer. With a good computer programme and the know how---a competent analyst can tell you what a plane can do---.

Americans are the best at it.

S'True.. but then again.. lets leave it to the aeronautical engineer to judge it.
Story:
A few years back I used to know some people who were working in IDS. Word is.. the Boss designed a new UAV with a very unusual design.. his subordinates were apprehensive but he pushed it through saying the design was sound. The pilot who was supposed to fly it had one look at the plane and told the Boss cum chief designer it wont fly... The boss was adamant.. the pilot insisted that it wont fly and he was willing to bet his salary on it.
When the day came.. true to his prediction.. the aircraft was uncontrollable.. and crashed after gaining a few meters.
The boss was furious and blamed the pilot(who had previously test flown all of IDS's designs) that it was his fault and he did not how to fly...the pilot true to his word.. said "I told you so".. and resigned that very day.. without even taking his salary.

FC-20 name is boring - it looks like a Football Club - Why not change the name to something better ? What is the actual name of fc-20 like jf-17's actual name is, "Thunder" why not fc-20 'a symbol title' have a name like 'Vulture' or 'fc-20 Vulture'.

Any new recommendations ?

Last edited:
FC-20 name is boring - it looks like a Football Club - Why not change the name to something better ? What is the actual name of fc-20 like jf-17's actual name is, "Thunder" why not fc-20 'a symbol title' have a name like 'Vulture' or 'fc-20 Vulture'.

Any new recommendations ?

Vulture is a terrible name (carrion eater). Why not just stick with Vigorous Dragon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom