What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

I have been contributing to this forum for almost two months now. During this i time i have fought with the sheer arrogance of the moderators and admins of this forum.

The final straw was when they closed my welcome thread, as some of my friends were posting there.

I asked them for a reason and the reply was and i quote " i shall consider myself lucky that it was allowed for that long..."

No I don't consider myself lucky at all, they shall consider themselves lucky that people, like myself, waste their time by posting on this web page.

As far as i am concern if my welcome thread is not good enough to be here then they don't deserve to have my other contributions to this forum either.

Hence i am withdrawing all my posts from this forum.

Last edited:
This is a slightly off the topic question but can anyone tell me what are the implications for Pakistan regarding Saab's GrippenIN offer to India?

You can get further information from following link:

Gripen - The wings of your nation - Gripen NG for India

The MMRCA tender is bound to have implications for PAF in any case. Any contender that is chosen by the IAF is going to pose challenges. Gripen wouldn't be an exception in that regard. Fortunately, Pakistan can rely on China for more advanced aircraft such as the FC-20 and other future platforms to counter such acquisitions.

WS-10 Engine

J-11 can afford WS-10 or WS-10A because it has 2 engines the same is opposit for J-10 where the sole dependence is on the single engine so reliability should be spot on. J-11 is a good test bed for WS-10 series as it has more chance to servive as compared to J-10 in case of an engine failure. Develop it uptill it become both mature and reliable to be able to implement itself on J-10

i dont really know about its specs against modern 4/4.5 generation fighter.......but for looks it is probably one of sexiest jet i've ever seen:smitten:

I have been contributing to this forum for almost two months now. During this i time i have fought with the sheer arrogance of the moderators and admins of this forum.

The final straw was when they closed my welcome thread, as some of my friends were posting there.

I asked them for a reason and the reply was and i quote " i shall consider myself lucky that it was allowed for that long..."

No I don't consider myself lucky at all, they shall consider themselves lucky that people, like myself, waste their time by posting on this web page.

As far as i am concern if my welcome thread is not good enough to be here then they don't deserve to have my other contributions to this forum either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. But my main issue that i can see in it is the ToT and the level of ToT that is on offer.

furthermore, JF17 is less advanced then J11/J10. would it not be better that Pakistan seek joint venture on J10 or J11, cut the number of JF17 its going to order, work on having AESA Radar and work on ToT on J11 forging long term partnership in future projects as well like 5 gen projects the way India is doing with Russia.

if we do do go that way what are the pros and cons of adopting all Chinese airframes from PAF while updating the radars and other bits and bobs wherever necessary...

i think this will give a strategic direction to PAF and we will know where do we want to go in future what are the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities, threats. Rather then going around from time to time and see what we can get and what we can not get... and meanwhile having nothing much to rely on.

We desperately need a strategic partnerships now more then ever. I wouldn't call JF17 a strategic partnership as China itself isnt that interested in buying them. it would have been a partnership if China was to induct substantial numbers into PLAAF.

Other question that arises from above is that how flexible is Kamra? if we want to move from JF17 to FC20 (assuming we take strategic partnership with china) how much can we carry over from existing pool of resources? would we have to develop totally new assembly lines or the current ones can multi role. I am sure Human Capital will be versatile enough......

Sellers like Saab etc will not want to deal with Pakistan if they have a bigger buyer like India with much bigger orders to place. we can see that many main brands are bending over backwards to get India buy their products. its only a matter of time that USA offer them F35 as the marketing model of F35 is very similar to F16 and India can be a good market for it (depending on Russian PAK-FA developments)

any comments?

Well Sir, when JF-17 was being made or started, PAF did knew about J-10 and even when Musharaf went to China to sign the agreement he was shown the J-10 manufacturing plant also. So with Pak-China history it can be safely assumed that PAF was and must have been shown the J-10, but if it still went for the JF-17 means PAF evaluated its strategic objectives and opted for the JF-17 which full fills the role it has been been selected for. Well i have no idea about the PAF mindset, but some of the logic behind JF-17 comes to mind would be first of all price, as its half the price of any modern 4th gen fighter aircraft, even half the price of J-10. 2ndly it has been seen to have good export prospects as a lot of airforces around the world would like to have an aircraft like JF-17 in this price range which can replace a lot of old outdated aircraft of these air forces and especially if PAF is using them, it raises the stakes of export, and exports would be revenues which would help us fund other major fighter aircraft programs. 3rdly we don't have much of a huge airspace to defend, width wise our country lacks dept thus these fighters don't have to go at lengths to intercept incoming enemy aircraft, plus major Indian air fields and strategic locations vital for us are within a few hundred miles of the border, where JF-17 can easily reach and accomplish its mission. And smaller the aircraft, smaller the RCS, harder for radars to detect at longer ranges, so if a mission can be accomplished by a JF-17, why send a J-10 for it. PAF main objective is to defend its airspace and if possible attack the enemy vital installations, which both functions can be done by a JF-17, so why use a bigger more expensive more fuel guzzler J-10 or even F-16. Let these heavy aircrafts do the fight against the other heavy weights.

And most important of all, JF-17 has still to go a long way to become a mature platform, composites are still left to be used, AESA radars and many other things, which will make into a deadly platform fully capable enough to defend pakistani airspace.

We need a capable SAM system to augment the fighter aircrafts, as our first priority is to keep our airspace clean and have a power punch, which BVR precision weapons like Ra'ad, JDAMs kind and cruise missiles can provide.

So no need for J-10 ToT as we most probably would be full with export orders. Plus the new JF-17 plant is big enough as its specifically made for plane production, hope you have seen the pictures of the new production infrastructure.

PLAAF has not yet officially rejected the JF-17/FC-1 nor any official news has surfaced. One of the major issue hampering FC-1 order may be the engine as per Chinese websites as China is already depended on Russian engines fully for their J-10 and J-11 fighters, their main strike weapons, so if another aircraft also needs dependence on russian engines would be less attractive for them. So let a Chinese engine for FC-1 come then we would be for certain whether FC-1 is required by PLAAF or not. By the way a 6th Prototype Pt-06 with Chinese communication equipment is still being flown in China, which may suggest its still going through testing and evaluation with fully Chinese systems.

As for J-11, first russian won't allow as its their designed fighter aircraft, IPR issue, and then the engine would be the major issue as again its a much superior engine then RD-93 that we currently got. India may never allow it nor would Russia. And most importantly PAF doctrine is not for twin engine fighters as they are more expensive to maintain and operational maintenance nearly twice the time of a single engined fighter, requiring nearly double human resource too. Plus we don't need a twin engine aircraft to do the functions required to achieve the objectives as per PAF doctrine.

Anything left, plz do let me know.

Hope i was brief, as still had so much to write :)

Last edited:
Bravo a very good answer. thank you very much.

but one final thing .... i asked about aligning ourselves completely with China thus having complete vision of future plans etc. is it possible ?

again thanks for comprehensive answer.

It is dangerous in today's world to align oneself completely to one supplier no matter how 'close' you are. PAF has learnt its lessons from the F-16 and is and should try to diversify and more importantly become self reliant especially on major assets. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where one nation can cause a major damage if it ever wanted to. Also, being completely reliant on a particular nation weakens your bargaining power and makes you even more dependent. I think the current policy is balance enough.

Also there are a lot of other things and partnerships with china. For example, the gwadar port investment, broadening the KKH and possibly railway in future, cooperation in space technology, launching of our satellites by china, etc on the non-military side as well as JF-17, its joint sale and marketing, FC-20, ZDK-03, K-8 trainers, etc. Also the JF-17 is NOT a finished product but would evolve in the future. The cooperation is quite enough I would say.

Hope that replies to your post

If we are talking about aircrafts than today... in shape of JF-17 Pakistan stand at a position that it is independent of reliance on one supplier.
Where as Pakistan and China concern they share strategic interests.
Much beyond what mean burd just listed.... i believe stability of China is subjected to stability of Pakistan,especially the adjoining areas of Gilgit Baltistan need to be kept clean from any religous fanatics and foreign conspirators.

It is dangerous in today's world to align oneself completely to one supplier no matter how 'close' you are. PAF has learnt its lessons from the F-16 and is and should try to diversify and more importantly become self reliant especially on major assets. You don't want to find yourself in a situation where one nation can cause a major damage if it ever wanted to. Also, being completely reliant on a particular nation weakens your bargaining power and makes you even more dependent. I think the current policy is balance enough.
There is no question that one should not align itself with any one supplier, however, one also has to take the history into consideration. We had a bad bad experience with US, but were this for the first time? Did something different happen during the 1965 war? During the entire decade of 1970, Pakistan could not buy any platform from the US in spite of its interest in the Americans planes. US was not willing to sell us anything that would bring us at par or even close to at par with the Indians, instead we were offered the A-7s? What we were going to do with the A7s? It was only the Soviet invasion that opened up a window of opportunity that was closed soon after the Soviets left Afghanistan.

Now compare this with our dealing with the Chinese. They did not give us their frontline platforms, probably because we were not able to purchase them, or probably because the PAF considered the Chinese hardware as the last resort; but they did sell us their next most sophisticated platforms (as per Chinese standards), the ones that were already making the backbone of their own air force. They did not hesitate to let us modernize those planes with western technology and helped us building their maintenance and overhauling facilities. They made us a partner in the JF-17 project and welcomed our input in the project.

Bottom line is, like you, I am not in favor of putting all my eggs in one basket, but whenever the situation called for, Chinese never showed hesitance to support us whole nine yards.

We have to admit that we are not like India who is for certain reasons, in the good books of all the major high technology/armament suppliers; and not only that, she is as much capable of affording even the most expensive platforms available to any foreign customers. Our options are ridiculously limited, and if we have to maintain a minimum level of conventional deterrence, we would have to avoid from inducting technology from several sources since these technologies always come attached with some strings. US technology is notorious for the conditions it comes with, but European technologies are also not free of this crap. I would suggest that we should take our cooperation with the Chinese to an entirely new level, send more and more engineers and Scientists to China and hire Chinese in our academic and research institution on preferential basis. We have to get rid of our inferiority complex about the so called superior western/American technology. Chinese technology is developing in leaps and bounds and this is the right time to invest into their technology and learn from their experience.

J-11 can afford WS-10 or WS-10A because it has 2 engines the same is opposit for J-10 where the sole dependence is on the single engine so reliability should be spot on. J-11 is a good test bed for WS-10 series as it has more chance to servive as compared to J-10 in case of an engine failure. Develop it uptill it become both mature and reliable to be able to implement itself on J-10

I believe WS-10 isunder development and later testing for long period of time. It has been already tested on J-10A.
Technical reliability, issues are normally spoted in lab testing and design reliability issues are spotted in flight tests.
Once it serial production starts it can be accepted as an engine for J-10B.
I don't remember.....but one of our member quite rightly said 'a bird in hand is better than 10 in the bush'

Regarding J-10B, I don't think Russian engines would be an issue, but, beyond the Chinese WS-10 and WS-10A, there is also the next-gen WS-15.

Regarding J-10B, I don't think Russian engines would be an issue, but, beyond the Chinese WS-10 and WS-10A, there is also the next-gen WS-15.

Yes but so far none has entered service or been long enough to prove its reliability. The only thing we have to go by is some J-11B pics "apparently" with chinese engines. WS-15 is even longer.

So what are the chances they will be functional by the FC-20 timeline (and they have to be at least a year or two before for them to be fitted) and how reliable would they be for PAF to opt for them?
These are serious questions that would need to be answered though we all hope for the best.

Yes but so far none has entered service or been long enough to prove its reliability. The only thing we have to go by is some J-11B pics "apparently" with chinese engines. WS-15 is even longer.

So what are the chances they will be functional by the FC-20 timeline (and they have to be at least a year or two before for them to be fitted) and how reliable would they be for PAF to opt for them?
These are serious questions that would need to be answered though we all hope for the best.
Well the J-10B may be the platform where the WS-10A is being fine-tuned before it is introduced into service and production. Since the J-10B is not slated for entry until 2014-2015, the WS-10A by then shouldn't be an issue. The other likely option would be Russian engines, the PAF is already considering the Russian RD-93M for future JF-17s.

Back
Top Bottom