What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

yes it may well be true that US had some foreign equipment in there military service but the thig is that there ratio to there own systems is almost negligiable! considering this and the fact that US have gone far ahead of the world in all the department, it seems unlikely that US will go for a foreign project as big as a 4.5 generation fighter plane. but then what are there choices?? i agree with the point that F35 will be procured in larger amount but it wont ever be enough to repace the entire fleet of 4th generation planes they have, moreover i think they will soon realize that the F35 is also a bit too expensive relative to the value it offers. keeping all this stuff in mind that they will focus on the reported upgradation plan for there F18 fleet, in addition to this may accquire a fet F15 silent eagles and then complement them with F35 and F22!
the option of going for EU 4.5 or maybe 4.75 planes would have been a good option rather then investing on F18 but it donot think it will be going with the US approach.
so to conclude that we may see a decade or so of EU relaiance on US for high tech planes and having nothing to offer in return (except dollars ofcourse;) )

regards!

The United States Air Force’s Chief of Staff, General Schwartz, testified to the House Armed Services Committee that the Air Force is willing to sacrifice their current fleet of A-10, F-15 and F-16 aircraft to free up funds to expedite delivery of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter. The JSF will be delivered in various configurations for the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps to replace F-16, F/A-18 and AV-8B aircraft.

General Schwartz stated that the Air Force wanted to begin moving the JSF to its maximum production rate of 110 a year as soon as possible. Secretary of Defense Gates has proposed ending F-22 production and speeding the JSF up to make up for the end of the high end, stealthy aircraft. Schwartz proposed retiring two hundred and fifty older aircraft to free money up to purchase the JSF.

The JSF is at the stage where it is transitioning from development to production and that is a time in a program that is fraught with difficulties. If there are issues that were not discovered in testing that can delay the onset of full production, or if issues arise in the production line that too can increase schedule and cost.

If these kind of things do happen then the USAF could be caught with a smaller, less capable force for a time as the older aircraft are retired and the JSF fighters are not delivered. There will also be a gap where you do not have the right mix of crew which might require more investment in training. The F-15 especially is starting to have problems due to its age and certainly a more rapid procurement of the JSF would solve those problems.

Another tack might be to continue production of the F-22 while retiring the aircraft. That line is hot and stable and while the F-22 is certainly more expensive then the F-35 a decent number could be bought for the kind of money the Air Force thinks it will save with the retirements. It is obvious that this will be a major discussion as the 2010 budget is developed.
Air Force Willing To Sacrifice Today's Force For JSF Future | BNET Government Blog | BNET
:enjoy:

Here you go -- Its the X31

well thanks for the link
but
it is not a next generation fighter programme, its only a thrust vetoring technology demonstrator.
i searched for some X35 programme so that why i got confused, the X31 is a lost story now!

regards!

well thanks for the link
but
it is not a next generation fighter programme, its only a thrust vetoring technology demonstrator.
i searched for some X35 programme so that why i got confused, the X31 is a lost story now!

regards!

The two points to which I responded with this were

1. Its the next generation after F-22. Even the video mentions that its the next generation after F-22. Yes it is just an experimental plane that will not go into production but the technologies developed will--whether on a manned or an unmanned aircraft.

Btw, its more than just TV tech. The avionics and FBW would be raised to a whole new level.

2. Its a cooperation between USA and Germany.

well thanks for the link
but

regards!
Here is the misconception about the X-planes. They are NOT intended to establish any foundation for any 'next generation' of aircraft. What the X-planes are about is to take a certain idea and/or technology and design an aircraft around it.

Bell X-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On 16 March 1945, the United States Army Air Forces' Flight Test Division and the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) (now NASA) contracted Bell Aircraft to build three XS-1 (for "Experimental, Supersonic", later X-1) aircraft to obtain flight data on conditions in the transonic speed range.[1] The XS-1 was the first high-speed aircraft built purely for aviation research purposes and was never intended for production.
The highlighted is what any X-plane is supposed to do -- obtain data -- and to do it with minimum influences from other factors. So if the intention is to obtain data on subsonic to transonic to supersonic regimes, is there a need to obtain data on maneuverability? Not really, so the aircraft would be designed to have just enough maneuverability to make it flight capable. The Bell X-1 probably would not last in a dogfight against the WW I Sopwith Camel.

Without a dedicated program like the X-planes, it is not possible to develop any 'generation' of aircraft, be it an airliner to a fighter. The data collected from one X-plane about supersonic maneuverability would be applied against the data about materials possibly from another X-plane and the result would be a 'next generation' of fighter whose skin could withstand high temperature. Avionics would be tougher to demonstrate since digital data could be better simulated than analog but there would be an X-plane either designed for that purpose or a current design would be modified to demonstrate the idea or technology, like the F-16XL or the AFTI F-16, both qualified to be X-planes in their own right.

Avionics would be tougher to demonstrate since digital data could be better simulated than analog but there would be an X-plane either designed for that purpose or a current design would be modified to demonstrate the idea or technology, like the F-16XL or the AFTI F-16, both qualified to be X-planes in their own right.

But sir F-16 XL was produced in direct competition to Super hornet (or Super Eagle don't exactly remember most likely i think it was SH) just like Boeing X-35 so it may not be true that they are pure technology demonstrators

very good thrust~~~

Attachments

• j10  16.jpg
    j10 16.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • j10-24.jpg
    j10-24.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 59
  • j10  14.jpg
    j10 14.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 54
  • j10-21.jpg
    j10-21.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 45
But sir F-16 XL was produced in direct competition to Super hornet (or Super Eagle don't exactly remember most likely i think it was SH) just like Boeing X-35 so it may not be true that they are pure technology demonstrators
I think the X in these cases are just a bit irritating and has nothing to do with real X-planes. The F16XL for example was only a larger version of the F16 with a different wing design and could be named XL because of that and not because of new technologies (btw it was fielded against the F15 Strike Eagle).

Last edited:
i heard later on that the j-10 is later on going to be powered with the chinese ws-10a. There also rumours that a variant of the ws-10a which has thrust vectoring capabilities are undergoing tests.

Are the pakistani FC-20s going to be powered by anyone one of these engines.

I think the X in these cases are just a bit irritating and has nothing to do with real X-planes. The F16XL for example was only a larger version of the F16m with a different wing design and could be named XL because of that and not because of new technologies (btw it was fielded against the F15 Strike Eagle).
Supposedly against the F-15 Eagle, which would result in the Strike Eagle, but the original intention for the XL was for research for a delta winged supersonic transport, Supersonic Cruise and Maneuvering Program (SCAMP), for which the small size of the F-16 and its highly configurable fly-by-wire flight control system was well suited for the research. Then when there was a chance turn the new design into a functional combat fighter with the new technology, GenDyn understandably jumped at the chance.

Supposedly against the F-15 Eagle, which would result in the Strike Eagle, but the original intention for the XL was for research for a delta winged supersonic transport, Supersonic Cruise and Maneuvering Program (SCAMP), for which the small size of the F-16 and its highly configurable fly-by-wire flight control system was well suited for the research. Then when there was a chance turn the new design into a functional combat fighter with the new technology, GenDyn understandably jumped at the chance.
i read it somewhere that it is still in use with NASA.what kind of use is it being under?

it may be, can be used for testing modren systems by applying them to this platform!
i guess Gambit can confirm this for us!

anyway let us get back on track, the J10!!

regards!

asking about a rumor or a news!

i guess you must be more intrested in some real news instead!!!
well atleast i am anxious about some news about the FC20 specs, speciall with indian MRCA around the corner. i hope the same goes for almost everyone here!

regards!

must be the angle but it looks psed... still.. might be the angle and the frames..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom