What's new

Changing Colonial era Names (Philippines, Indonesia)

Should the Philippines and Indonesia be renamed?

• Total voters
Changing names doesn't serve any good nor any bad, Nusantara is often used in Poetries to represent the beautiful and the memories of the glory past, doesn't mean that will do any good to the current time's country.

You see, Nusantara itself was also made of most part of Malayan peninsula, officialy changing "Indonesia" to "Nusantara" which derived from "Nusa Diantara" which means "Islands in between", is just the same with recalling all of those Majapahit's territories because Nusantara was a favorite word of Kertanegara, the King of Singashari kingdom, and then General Gadjah Mada, and the former President Soekarno when they invaded southern parts of South East Asia.

I think Indonesia is Okay, it is a political entity. Changing its name will not be making any better, instead, it has potentials to set the country ablaze if you know what I mean.

Did you even know our National Anthem is Indonesia Raya? Fools

Nusantara, Indonesia Raya, Melayu Raya, or Greater Indonesia
All of them have the same meaning, yet this region is still peacefull
And did not set this country ablaze

Spanish was kept in those countries because it served as a useful, impartial lingua franca among the different native languages and the majority of mestizos and creoles spoke it. Thats also the case in Papua New Guinea with the English language, I have no objection to that.

in the Philippines Tagalog was chosen instead by you guys, before Spanish colonization, Malay was the lingua franca.

Laguna Copperplate Inscription - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And speaking of that, Malay is more useful as a lingua franca in the Philippines. Both the official languages of Malaysia and Indonesia are variants of the Malay language and it was the lingua franca and the language of trade in the region. It has a strong history in the region and people often spoke both Malay along with their native language.

But as for poverty eradication, your government has done little in that regard. Indonesia implemented a family planning program to lower their ferility rates and so did Thailand. Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia all have lower fertility rates than the Philippines. But in your country the Catholic Church blocked family planning, and your government dumped the excess population of Christian Visayans onto Mindanao and they now outnumber the native Moros and Lumads. Why did your country not implement a family planning program- instead of sending Christian Visayan settlers onto Mindanao?

I am just trying to understand your argument. If you believe that those countries dumped their old colonial names because they don't want to indentify with their colonial past, then there should be no mitigating reason why they should retain their use of the Spanish language, even if their creole or Hispanic population outnumber the native population of their respective countries.

How the Philippines did to address poverty should be a topic of separate discussion. I mentioned it because I believe it is the more pressing concern of the country than unnecessary changing the country's name. Changing the name will not bring food to the Filipino table.

Filipinos started to settle in Mindanao long before we had problems with population, so please don't relate non-implementation of the family planning program to Filipino migration to other parts of the country.

Wasn't the word Moro too coined by Spaniards based on the name Moor, the North African Arabs who ruled over Iberia. The Muslims of Mindanao reminded them of Moors.

Indeed it is.

Then again, wasn't the only one who have the right to hold these "discussion" are rhe filipino and the indonesian? either he go generalised and do not name any country or if this whole grain fella is Filipino or Indonesian or Muslim, I would understand. Fact is he is not even "one of them" to begin with, it is pretty oblivious that his intention is not to discuss, but to **** off someone. It will be quite stupid to see that he ONLY wanted to discuss

By the way he insulted half of my hertiage and I don't really know why you only say I am attacking him but nothing about his action? So, are you biased or just ignorant?

Did you even know our National Anthem is Indonesia Raya? Fools

Nusantara, Indonesia Raya, Melayu Raya, or Greater Indonesia
All of them have the same meaning, yet this region is still peacefull
And did not set this country ablaze

stunted fool is trying to speak up, try to understand my point and come back with your brain, then speak. In the mean time, why don't you go rub Habib's balls? :cheesy:

This thread is full of BS. Definitely close this thread.

Then again, wasn't the only one who have the right to hold these "discussion" are rhe filipino and the indonesian? either he go generalised and do not name any country or if this whole grain fella is Filipino or Indonesian or Muslim, I would understand. Fact is he is not even "one of them" to begin with, it is pretty oblivious that his intention is not to discuss, but to **** off someone. It will be quite stupid to see that he ONLY wanted to discuss

By the way he insulted half of my hertiage and I don't really know why you only say I am attacking him but nothing about his action? So, are you biased or just ignorant?

Nah, he is just a guy with tons of topic. His thread is actually entertaining, because it ends up like his other threads; bashing China-India or vice versa.

Now I see how "educated" you're Bloody Facist!

First, Fascist is spelled with F-A-S-C-I-S-T not facist.

Secondly, Of course i am more educated than a camel rider lover who had no other dreams other than building a religion-based country like you, how is that for instance? :p

First, Fascist is spelled with F-A-S-C-I-S-T not facist.

Secondly, Of course i am more educated than a camel rider lover who had no other dreams other than building a religion-based country like you, how is that for instance? :p

Since when this forums became language Forums? "Mr. Smart Guy"
And since why I said my dreams is to build Religion-based country?
That's not my dream, but if it can help me archiving my dream, then I will try to make it happen

Why did Indonesia abolish its Sultanates after independence unlike Malaysia, which kept its Sultanates? There was Pontianak, Yogyakarta, Aceh.....

Nobody likes competition. Sukarno made it clear that the Central Government in Jakarta is the true seat of power in the Country.

Why did Indonesia abolish its Sultanates after independence unlike Malaysia, which kept its Sultanates? There was Pontianak, Yogyakarta, Aceh.....

Instead of abolishing, why don't you use the word of "recognizing Indonesian central government rule over the area"?

Aceh sultanate was already ended when its last King, Tuanku Muhammad Daudsyah Johan Berdaulat, didn't name any heir to his throne at the time of his death in 1907. Aceh's capital became Dutch Colonial Port, and when the Dutch was ousted out of Indonesia, Aceh was transeferred into Indonesian rule.

Pontianak Sultanate was dissolved following the dissolvement of Federal United States of Indonesia in 1950, the Sultan himself involved in a failed Coup.

Jogjakarta is remain a Kingdom with reign limited to only the regency of Jogjakarta and its surrounding area, the Sultan himself involved in a successfull attack to Dutch held territories in Jogjakarta in March 1st, 1949.

Not all Kingdoms are abolished, in fact, the houses are still actively doing their tradition of heiring and keeping their lines. But they have no actual power.

Kolkata / Calcutta ought to revert to the name Shaheed Nawab Sirajuddaula had given to the place when he had expelled the English initially. He had named it Alinagar after Nawab Alivardi Khan. So Calcutta should have been renamed ALINAGAR, not Kolkata.

Back
Top Bottom