What's new

Changing Bengali attitudes towards Bangladesh

United Nations Development Program assessment of Bangladesh - Sept 2, 2011

"In 2010, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) global Human Development Report ranked Bangladesh third out of 95 countries for the greatest progress achieved and for having doubled its Human Development Index since 1980."

http://web.undp.org/asia/country_programme/CP/CP_BGD_2012-2016_REV.pdf - Bengali people please read this article. It's relatively up to date & the UN is obviously an unbiased source.

Bangladesh growth in IT sector: From Jan 2012: http://www.kpmg.com/BD/en/Documents/UNITC KPMG Whitepaper.pdf

Bangladesh offers a vast pool of young, trained and English speaking resources – available at costs almost 40% lower than established destinations like India and Philippines. Government authorities have demonstrated a determination to promote IT services industry in the country – providing cheaper bandwidth and alternate international cables, setting up Technology parks and providing tax holidays for export oriented industries. The “Digital Bangladesh” initiative of the government is helping setup infrastructure for enhanced connectivity, ICT based citizen service delivery and ICT based Education system. There is evidence of many global players, like Samsung, AMD, VizRT, WorldBridge Global – setting up operations in Bangladesh. For all the progress that has been made, this report illustrates some of the key challenges that still lie ahead. Many domestic business leaders recognize that Bangladeshi outsourcing industry could better market its strengths to the international community. Negative perception about Bangladesh needs to be countered.

Bangladesh experienced 24% export-oriented growth Bangladesh IT/ITeS industry in between 2008-2011.

Good to know some educated bangladeshi joining the forum. Flame, do you have any bangladeshi friend, do recommend pdf to them :)

@flame_retardant likely is from Bangladesh not USA which he is using as false flagger. If you look any one from USA would not remain awake whole night and till now just to post here. This is only possible if anyone is currently living in Bangladesh. When I slept I saw he was posting and when I wake up his post is still here.

But @flame_retardant the figure that I posted is not just from newspaper but from a report which measured such amount for 139countries. Bangladesh ranked topped among the LDC countries.

The overall corruption has increased regardless your transparency international ranking. I do believe they also post an amount of corruption beside the ranking. Just see that and match it with earlier years. I am pretty sure it has been increased.

@flame_retardant likely is from Bangladesh not USA which he is using as false flagger. If you look any one from USA would not remain awake whole night and till now just to post here. This is only possible if anyone is currently living in Bangladesh. When I slept I saw he was posting and when I wake up his post is still here.

But @flame_retardant the figure that I posted is not just from newspaper but from a report which measured such amount for 139countries. Bangladesh ranked topped among the LDC countries.

The overall corruption has increased regardless your transparency international ranking. I do believe they also post an amount of corruption beside the ranking. Just see that and match it with earlier years. I am pretty sure it has been increased.
Complain to mods. They can probably confirm if he is false flagger. Do you believe in "accusing first and let the other guy prove his innocense"

Random non-sequitor has nothing to do with post.

Sigh... really? I'm about to teach you how to put together a good argument - so pay attention. Saying "A report which measured such amount for 139 countries" has 0 value because none of it is verifiable. In order to put together a good argument, list which organization (specific name) did the study. List what the findings were. Also list how well-rated the organization is in the world. Let me demonstrate.

Transparency International: Since 1995, Transparency International (TI) publishes the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) annually ranking countries "by their perceived levels of corruption. As of 2010, the CPI ranks 178 countries "on a scale from 10 (very clean) to 0 (highly corrupt).

Here's Bangladesh's performance since 2005.
Bangladesh values: 2.7 (2011) - 2.4(2010) - 2.1(2009) - 2.0 (2008) - 2.0 (2007) - 1.7 (2006) - 1.5 (2005)

Do you see that TI is rating Bangladesh higher? Also, do you understand how to make an argument now? Or are you going to waste my time again with something like this: "a report which measured such amount for 139countries"

When I was a kid, I was pretty sure if I flapped my arms hard enough, I'd be able to fly. Turns out I was wrong.

That is Crap.

Our Neighbors are not even in the Top 10 Trading Partner of India. It's the Other way round. India is the Top3 Trading Partner of Every Neighbor.

I dont agree with your View....If our neighborhood...Is to become strong economically we need each other to have each others back...As far as not being our top 10 Trading partners...we need to ensure they get there as well....But one aspect I have to agree on is you need two hands to clap.....its only in India's interest that our east, west and South neighbor's also starts moving in the right direction..that is start seeing success.

I dont agree with your View....If our neighborhood...Is to become strong economically we need each other to have each others back...As far as not being our top 10 Trading partners...we need to ensure they get there as well....But one aspect I have to agree on is you need two hands to clap.....its only in India's interest that our east, west and South neighbor's also starts moving in the right direction..that is start seeing success.

This May 2012 article explains why regional economics is important really well: Rather Unexpectedly, India

"A regular concern of this blog is the internal constraints on India’s rise as a great power. But for decades the country’s global aspirations also have been encumbered by a quite problematic regional environment. Unlike China, India has had the misfortune of residing in a highly volatile neighborhood, surrounded by weak and unstable, and often hostile, countries that habitually top various failed-states indices. Fortunately, and somewhat unexpectedly, the situation is starting to improve.

As detailed in a previous post, India’s relations with Pakistan, its perennial arch-nemesis, are warming, driven by growing trade ties. And against all odds, a remarkable measure of political stability has taken root in Islamabad. The civilian government is weak and unpopular but looks like it will become the first one in the country’s 65-year existence to complete its allotted term. It’s even managed to claw back authority in the foreign policy arena from the overbearing military establishment.

To be sure, Pakistan’s long-term prospects continue to be cloudy at best and the ever-latent rivalry with India will be re-ignited by coming regional scramble to secure influence over post-NATO Afghanistan. But the present situation along India’s western flank is much better than one could have imagined just a year ago.

Ditto for the eastern flank, where the national fortunes of Bangladesh and Myanmar are trending upwards. Not too long ago, Bangladesh was a pitiable basket case, known for its cyclone disasters, ferry boat tragedies and outbreaks of famine. But the country has maintained a 5-6 percent growth rate for much of the last two decades and earned a spot on Goldman Sachs’ “Next 11” roster of countries with a high potential to become economic success stories. It is a prime destination for labor-intensive manufacturing that is now migrating out of China and a hub for the global garment trade. It has largely tamed the scourge of religious radicalism that keeps Pakistan, its erstwhile sibling, aflame. And it has now embarked upon a cooperative approach vis-à-vis India, eschewing the confrontational line it pursued for decades. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Dhaka last September is widely seen as inaugurating a new era in India-Bangladesh relations.

Like Pakistan, Bangladesh is just four years removed from military dictatorship and it is conceivable that the army will once again storm out of its barracks given the prospect of political turbulence as the 2013 parliamentary elections approach. The country also faces long-term environmental challenges. Still, the overall situation there is a welcome relief to security managers in New Delhi.

This May 2012 article explains why regional economics is important really well: Rather Unexpectedly, India

"A regular concern of this blog is the internal constraints on India’s rise as a great power. But for decades the country’s global aspirations also have been encumbered by a quite problematic regional environment. Unlike China, India has had the misfortune of residing in a highly volatile neighborhood, surrounded by weak and unstable, and often hostile, countries that habitually top various failed-states indices. Fortunately, and somewhat unexpectedly, the situation is starting to improve.

As detailed in a previous post, India’s relations with Pakistan, its perennial arch-nemesis, are warming, driven by growing trade ties. And against all odds, a remarkable measure of political stability has taken root in Islamabad. The civilian government is weak and unpopular but looks like it will become the first one in the country’s 65-year existence to complete its allotted term. It’s even managed to claw back authority in the foreign policy arena from the overbearing military establishment.

To be sure, Pakistan’s long-term prospects continue to be cloudy at best and the ever-latent rivalry with India will be re-ignited by coming regional scramble to secure influence over post-NATO Afghanistan. But the present situation along India’s western flank is much better than one could have imagined just a year ago.

Ditto for the eastern flank, where the national fortunes of Bangladesh and Myanmar are trending upwards. Not too long ago, Bangladesh was a pitiable basket case, known for its cyclone disasters, ferry boat tragedies and outbreaks of famine. But the country has maintained a 5-6 percent growth rate for much of the last two decades and earned a spot on Goldman Sachs’ “Next 11” roster of countries with a high potential to become economic success stories. It is a prime destination for labor-intensive manufacturing that is now migrating out of China and a hub for the global garment trade. It has largely tamed the scourge of religious radicalism that keeps Pakistan, its erstwhile sibling, aflame. And it has now embarked upon a cooperative approach vis-à-vis India, eschewing the confrontational line it pursued for decades. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Dhaka last September is widely seen as inaugurating a new era in India-Bangladesh relations.

Like Pakistan, Bangladesh is just four years removed from military dictatorship and it is conceivable that the army will once again storm out of its barracks given the prospect of political turbulence as the 2013 parliamentary elections approach. The country also faces long-term environmental challenges. Still, the overall situation there is a welcome relief to security managers in New Delhi.

Peace dividend: India allows investments from Pakistan - Yahoo! News India

"The government of India has reviewed the policy and decided to permit a citizen of Pakistan or an entity incorporated in Pakistan to make investments in India, under the government route, in sectors/activities other than defence, space and atomic energy," said an official notification issued by the DIPP.

Pakistani investments are allowed with immediate effect, it said.

All investment proposals must be routed through the Indian government.

The clearance of Pakistani investments has created a positive tone for the forthcoming visit of External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna to Islamabad next month and comes despite the lack of adequate action by Pakistan against the 26/11 terrorists.

Pakistan was the only country in the negative list under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), which forbids investing in India. Sri Lanka was removed from the list in 2006 and Bangladesh in 2007.

The decision to allow foreign investments from Pakistan follows a roadmap chalked out by trade and industry ministers of India and Pakistan in April.

The two neighbours, who have fought three wars over territorial claims in Jammu and Kashmir and continue to differ on terror, have been following a new strategy to put economic relations at the forefront of their relations in the hope of creating a conducive atmosphere for resolving contentious issues.

The latest Indian decision reinforces Pakistan's decision to grant this country Most Favoured Nation, setting the stage for improved economic engagement between the two countries.

ITS ONLY IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SEE THE BENEFIT IF WE WORK AS A UNIT.

"The best revenge is Massive Success"

Random non-sequitor has nothing to do with post.

Just go and ask which person living in USA remain in PDF whole night to after noon next day without sleeping unless you are a jobless retard and day dreamer.

Sigh... really? I'm about to teach you how to put together a good argument - so pay attention. Saying "A report which measured such amount for 139 countries" has 0 value because none of it is verifiable. In order to put together a good argument, list which organization (specific name) did the study. List what the findings were. Also list how well-rated the organization is in the world. Let me demonstrate.

Transparency International: Since 1995, Transparency International (TI) publishes the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) annually ranking countries "by their perceived levels of corruption. As of 2010, the CPI ranks 178 countries "on a scale from 10 (very clean) to 0 (highly corrupt).

Here's Bangladesh's performance since 2005.
Bangladesh values: 2.7 (2011) - 2.4(2010) - 2.1(2009) - 2.0 (2008) - 2.0 (2007) - 1.7 (2006) - 1.5 (2005)

Do you see that TI is rating Bangladesh higher? Also, do you understand how to make an argument now? Or are you going to waste my time again with something like this: "a report which measured such amount for 139countries"

The organization that published the report is Global Financial Network a Washington based group and the other is Tax Justice Network an UK based organization and Bangladesh topped the list among LDC countries.

This well known that a huge amount of money is going taking out of Bangladesh is the biggest crime now. If you say other wise you are nothing but a kids who have not seen the outside real world.

TIB report is just based on perception. It is no way reveal the real truth. Just name me 1 organization where corruption has been decreased. I already gave you example how level of corruption has been increased then earlier time. Corruption at the stock exchange is one of them where more then 4 billion USD has been stolen and have been taken out of the country. 9 political banks haven been given permission to set up where the owner had to deposit 400 cr taka each where as those people had shown only around 1 cr or less amount of property during election. If you think that corruption has been decreased you have no touch with reality. You will find such report in most of the days news paper. Today prothom alo ran a report how corruption is happening in passport office openly.

When I was a kid, I was pretty sure if I flapped my arms hard enough, I'd be able to fly. Turns out I was wrong.

Definitely...you are doing and thinking just like a kids who has no touch to reality. If you think corruption has been reduced then go and see by yourself in a government office how corruption is happening and whether it is possible to do work without corruption.

I will wait for your answer in which organization corruption has been decreased.

I wonder about the reaction of the Bangladeshi bad-***** if an Indian had taken the truculent, hostile anti-Bangladesh line that one of their own is taking?

This is another report which indicated that Bangladesh lost one position in it's ranking in the Global Competitiveness Index in 2011 which is due to inadequate infrastructure, inefficient bureaucracy and corruption.

If you just decide to go for a happy nap only based on the TIB and want others to feel the same then Only god can save Bangladesh.

Friday, September 9, 2011Business

Corruption emerges as major threat to Bangladesh

Corruption emerges as major threat to Bangladesh

World Economic Forum identifies a series of challenges; the nation loses one notch in Global Competitiveness Index

Star Business Report
Corruption will pose a major threat to the government in the coming years, according to a global survey released yesterday.

The survey by the World Economic Forum found Bangladesh's major businesses disagreed with the effectiveness of the country's efforts to combat corruption.

The observation came as Bangladesh slipped by one rung in the Global Competitiveness Index in 2011 to rank 108th due to inadequate infrastructure, inefficient bureaucracy and corruption.

Bangladesh's GCI score has increased by 2.5 percent, but the country lost a place further on the ladder in the survey of 142 countries, while other countries have advanced, according to the report released by the Centre for Policy Dialogue, the Bangladesh partner of World Economic Forum.

“Although positive changes were discerned under different indicators, these changes were insignificant to create enough forces to run the wheel of the economy at required pace,” it said.

The local think-tank, which released the opinion survey report at an event in the city yesterday, conducted the survey among 70 entrepreneurs and businessmen mostly in Dhaka city and took the year 2010 into account.

The survey finds that inadequate supply of infrastructure remained at the top as the problem factor, while corruption came second and inefficient government bureaucracy came third.

The report however forecasts that Bangladesh along with Cambodia will do better in 2011.

In the financial environment index, the survey found that 41 percent think that obtaining credit in 2010 was difficult.

About 62 percent respondents say although foreign direct investment rules are favourable in Bangladesh and beneficial for attracting new investment, the FDI inflow was insignificant.

Entrepreneurs in most cases did not find venture capital for innovative but risky projects, according to the survey.

Ninety-four percent respondents perceived that undocumented extra payments or bribes made by firms for tax payments have increased and assumed 'worst' proportions in 2010, an indication of rising corruption.

“Three-fourth respondents largely disagreed with the effectiveness of the efforts of the government to combat against corruption,” said Khondaker Golam Moazzem, senior research fellow of CPD, while presenting the report.

“Weak functioning of Anti-Corruption Commission and enactment of new laws with little power to take action independently are major shortfalls,” he said.

The report chronicled major challenges Bangladesh is going to face in the coming years.

“Controlling corruption will be a major challenge for the government in the coming years.”

“Difficulty in obtaining credit, poor monitoring and supervision both in banking and capital markets, weak regulation, poor financial auditing and reporting, and rise in money laundering are major concerns.”

The report said Bangladesh should place first and most important focus on infrastructure development, creating public institutions, reducing corruption and human resources development in order to enhance productivity.

“Strong political stand is required against corruption, wasteful or delayed public spending and local government system requires strengthening.”

Trade facilitation measures should be strengthened, it said.

The survey also threw light on the government's Digital Bangladesh vision, saying initiatives in the last two years were perceived to be inadequate to build 'Digital Bangladesh' by 2021.

CPD Executive Director Mustafizur Rahman, Distinguished Fellow Debapriya Bhattacharya and Head of Research Fahmida Khatun were present on the occasion.

Then you may call us Bangladeshi, if you like. I call us Bengali & I will continue to do so. I don't understand why this is even a point of discussion.

It's not only us who'll call you Bangladeshi, your own countrymen prefer the term Bangladeshi instead of Bengali.......as you have already seen.....

The logic behind this is simple.....
Since Bangladesh(erstwhile East Pakistan) is created on the basis of religion and Bangladeshis don't follow the original Bengali religion therefore they cannot be correctly termed as Bengalis..
You chose to separate yourself from the 'Bengali' identity....
People from West Bengal who still adhere to the original Bengali culture and religion can be correctly termed as Bengalis...

So, in order to avoid confusion and keep this thread and other future threads of yours from going off-topic, you should use the term 'Bangladeshi' instead of 'Bengali'........if you don't....you'll only create more confusion.....

Hope you understood why your using the term Bengali to describe Bangladeshis created so much confusion....

Just go and ask which person living in USA remain in PDF whole night to after noon next day without sleeping unless you are a jobless retard and day dreamer.

My sleep patterns fascinate you this much? ;)

The organization that published the report is Global Financial Network a Washington based group and the other is Tax Justice Network an UK based organization and Bangladesh topped the list among LDC countries.

You can be taught! Although obviously not very fast ^-^

Ok. So here's the deal - I searched for Global Finance Network & Tax Justice Network in google with Bangladesh, LDC list - nothing came up. So you're going to have to actually provide the link if you want me to take you seriously.

Meanwhile, Transparency International description: "First launched in 1995, the Corruption Perceptions Index has been widely credited with putting the issue of corruption on the international policy agenda.""

Also, for your argument to be valid - you're going to have argue that corruption has increased since 2005. Every credible source I find says otherwise.

On the plus side, you ARE improving! Keep it up :)

This well known that a huge amount of money is going taking out of Bangladesh is the biggest crime now. If you say other wise you are nothing but a kids who have not seen the outside real world.

TIB report is just based on perception. It is no way reveal the real truth. Just name me 1 organization where corruption has been decreased. I already gave you example how level of corruption has been increased then earlier time. Corruption at the stock exchange is one of them where more then 4 billion USD has been stolen and have been taken out of the country. 9 political banks haven been given permission to set up where the owner had to deposit 400 cr taka each where as those people had shown only around 1 cr or less amount of property during election. If you think that corruption has been decreased you have no touch with reality. You will find such report in most of the days news paper. Today prothom alo ran a report how corruption is happening in passport office openly.

And we're back to the anecdotal evidence. You were showing some promise - what happened?

Definitely...you are doing and thinking just like a kids who has no touch to reality. If you think corruption has been reduced then go and see by yourself in a government office how corruption is happening and whether it is possible to do work without corruption.

I will wait for your answer in which organization corruption has been decreased.

I already did. Transparency International is the most respected anti-corruption agency & my facts are from there. I understand this is hard for you - but try to keep up <3

Back
Top Bottom