What's new

Changing Bengali attitudes towards Bangladesh

Ok on topic: i have always criticized the traffic system of dhaka city in this forum! I have to waste 3-4 valuable hours of my life everyday! Don't you think i have the right to criticize the system?? Bus stops in the middle of the road to take passengers! Do you see it in America???

Ok on topic: i have always criticized the traffic system of dhaka city in this forum! I have to waste 3-4 valuable hours of my life everyday! Don't you think i have the right to criticize the system?? Bus stops in the middle of the road to take passengers! Do you see it in America???

No - but are you really going to compare Bangladesh to America? Live in the real world. Aim to build up Bangladesh to Sri Lanka's level first.

Also, try to think: 10 yrs ago, the black-yellow baby-taxis were spewing pollution like crazy into the air. Now, they've been removed. Congestion is worsening because of massive influx into Dhaka - but more money is also being poured into infrastructure. Also - fly-over pass in Jatrabari - it's being (slowly) built & should ease congestion.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep your expectations realistic & try to look for solutions.

No - but are you really going to compare Bangladesh to America? Live in the real world. Aim to build up Bangladesh to Sri Lanka's level first.

Also, try to think: 10 yrs ago, the black-yellow baby-taxis were spewing pollution like crazy into the air. Now, they've been removed. Congestion is worsening because of massive influx into Dhaka - but more money is also being poured into infrastructure. Also - fly-over pass in Jatrabari - it's being (slowly) built & should ease congestion.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep your expectations realistic & try to look for solutions.
Bro, welcome to Bangladesh! Do you know inside stories of these fly overs?? Researchers have said that these fly overs are responsible for increased traffic jam in Dhaka! They have adviced the Goverment. to build other transport systems! But goverment is only interested in fly over because there are more chances of corruption!

Bro, welcome to Bangladesh! Do you know inside stories of these fly overs?? Researchers have said that these fly overs are responsible for increased traffic jam in Dhaka! They have adviced the Goverment. to build other transport systems! But goverment is only interested in fly over because there are more chances of corruption!

Links please to articles :) Also, I'm sure you know about the metro-rail.

Links please to articles :) Also, I'm sure you know about the metro-rail.

Prothom Alo front Page ! i forgot the date!! In June I guess! Yes it was written there Govt. is less interested in metro rail because less chance of corruption

Ok - the words are in English but the sentences make no sense to me or doesn't really seem to have a lot to do with the discussion. Strange. If you don't like people from Bangladesh Bengali, don't call us Bengali.

Somehow I feel like you are really emotionally invested in this very odd discussion about the term "Bengali"... The LOL & Hahaha tells me I should somehow feel insulted... but I'm sitting here scratching my head... Are we still talking about angry birds? ... *confused*...

Do you have anything to add about economic development in South Asia?

Well if you consider being called a sensible poster is an insult, which if we go by bd defence forum standard, is true; then indeed I insulted you.

We entered into unfavorable agreements with the IOCs that they would lift natural gas sharing 80:20 of the produce. Now BD has to purchase this 80% at international market price. If BD fails to purchase certain volume of gas it must pay for the floor volume. Years ago our industries were not able to consume that volume. So the government suddenly became environmentally conscious and took steps to replace oil run vehicles with CNG converted vehicles.

Prothom Alo front Page ! i forgot the date!! In June I guess! Yes it was written there Govt. is less interested in metro rail because less chance of corruption

Do you expect me to be surprised that there is corruption? This is what I mean when I say Bengalis expect perfection - you KNOW there is corruption in Bd & then you get angry when hear about corruption. Why waste your time? But just keep in mind that Metro-rail is going to be built. It was part of DICC vision.

Nation Building needs time, Bangladesh is a very young nation and is walking in the right path, It has immense advantages of being in a secure neighborhood and shares good relations with all the neighbors and also the bigger powers in the world. In few years it will be one the leading economies in the subcontinent. Bangladeshi views on bangladesh is generally positive, the quoted the phrases by the OP seems to be from ignorant individuals who are not aware of the innumerable sacrifices of the people to build the nation of bangladesh.

Well if you consider being called a sensible poster is an insult, which if we go by bd defence forum standard, is true; then indeed I insulted you.

I called you a sensible poster? You called me a sensible poster? Someone else called you a sensible poster? ... And now one of those things is an insult to me? The more I talk to you, the more I feel like I'm in up-is-down world where you type a bunch of stuff & I sit there staring at your post trying to figure out what you're trying to say... You seem hell bent on picking a fight when we don't even have an argument. I've never had a problem with you using the term 'Bangladeshi' so why is there an issue here?

Do you have anything pertinent to add about the actual discussion or are we going to continue to talk about this non-issue?

We entered into unfavorable agreements with the IOCs that they would lift natural gas sharing 80:20 of the produce. Now BD has to purchase this 80% at international market price. If BD fails to purchase certain volume of gas it must pay for the floor volume. Years ago our industries were not able to consume that volume. So the government suddenly became environmentally conscious and took steps to replace oil run vehicles with CNG converted vehicles.

Interesting. How much has changing to CNG helped economy & the environment? It's good for Bangladesh to rely on less foreign oil.

And this brings up something I'm curious about: Where is the oil that Bangladesh is buying going? Like to which sectors?

Do you expect me to be surprised that there is corruption? This is what I mean when I say Bengalis expect perfection - you KNOW there is corruption in Bd & then you get angry when hear about corruption. Why waste your time? But just keep in mind that Metro-rail is going to be built. It was part of DICC vision.

In Bangladesh it's really hard to remain positive. I don't think you will find anyone who has never been a victim of injustice and corruption. The 'good' people have lost faith in government (whether BNP or BAL). You have to buy justice and your rights either with money or misuse of power. Despite our investment friendly policies we can't attract sufficient foreign investment (maybe except some Chinese or Indian investors who hardly hesitate to bribe govt officials and politicians).

Hi there. I'm an American-born Bengali. I've noticed that a lot of Bengali people tend not to know a lot about their country and consistently bash Bangladesh in public forums. Let me provide a few examples to explain what I mean:

/watch?v=MoMifNO4w6s This video on youtube talks about how Dhaka is the fastest growing megacity in the world. A commenter posted:

"and despite all this they continue to **** like rabbits
reckless irresponsible lowlives"

That's a pretty bleak statement to make, especially considering that Bangladesh is a unique poor country that managed to decreased its population growth BEFORE achieving economic growth.
Hans Rosling explains it much better in this Gapcast video than I ever could (from youtube): (/watch?v=jAJC2YAJw_A)

Here's another comment from the Dhaka-megacity video: growing megacity ? what the **** is wrong with these people , its corrupt and poor , god bless and help the poor and **** the bangladeshi goverment and theyre dhaka its a **** hole !

Poverty in Bangladesh has dropped by 8.5% in the last 5yrs - that's pretty good.
Bangladesh has climbed from the bottom of the Corruption Perception Index for 5yrs in a row (2001-2005) to rank 120 in the world (2011). Corruption Perception Index is rated out of 10 & Bangladesh has current rating of 2.7 < very bad but better than rating of 1.0 it had in 2001-2005.

Here's one possible reason why Bengalis bash Bangladesh so consistently: Bengali people have high (unrealistic) expectations from Bangladesh & when they don't get that perfection, they complain. This isn't very pragmatic or smart. Bangladesh isn't going to turn into Sweden overnight - the important thing is to show improvement. Also important, perception about how a country is doing plays a significant role in attracting foreign investment so it makes ZERO sense for Bengalis to bash Bangladesh in a public forum needlessly.

So Bengalis: keep it real. Don't say Bangladesh is pooping rainbows but don't make it out to be a total gutter when it's actually showing significant improvement.

Also: INVEST in BANGLADESH :) It's the fiscally intelligent thing to do!
Don't listen to anybody on Youtube they lack common sense.

My approach to this thread seems to be futile/incorrect. I should have approached with more specific examples.

I've thought this thread through & honestly, there is a ton of animosity in a thread meant to facilitate goodwill. Me saying "Open your mind! See the real changes that's happening around you!" has somewhat of an insulting tone, I guess & it closes Bengali peoples' minds off. It's more useful post real articles that I read about South Asian & Bangladeshi economics.

So that's what I will do: World Trade Organization: &#8220;The government is well on track to meet many of the time-bound targets, including achieving middle-income status by 2021,&#8221; Pascal Lamy.
Gulf Times ? Qatar?s top-selling English daily newspaper - SriLanka/Bangladesh
Good deal :)

Interesting. How much has changing to CNG helped economy & the environment? It's good for Bangladesh to rely on less foreign oil.

Now the existing gas reserve is rapidly depleting and we are thinking of importing natural gas from Turkmenistan and from Qatar in the form of LNG.

And this brings up something I'm curious about: Where is the oil that Bangladesh is buying going? Like to which sectors?

Not all vehicles are CNG driven because of the drawback of refuelling. Also we don't buy vehicles optimized for CNG which are costly, we just use CNG conversion kits, so energy efficiency is low. This is one part of the answer, for the other part google "rental power plants in Bangladesh".

My approach to this thread seems to be futile/incorrect. I should have approached with more specific examples.

Don't bother. Almost every thread on pdf goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom