What's new

Certain habits are just part of our Pakistani Culture!

Humble Pakistani

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
The nation (Pakistan) of over 180 million people (6th most populous nation in the world) continues to give birth to some of the most talented people on this earth. Unfortunately, the current state of affairs (Energy shortage, Corruption, Terrorism, etc.) in the country have limited the amount of opportunities for some. At the same time, there are those who continue to reach the heights of success despite all the challenges and obstacles that come their way. It only proves that Pakistanis are blessed, determined and relentless in their pursuit of success. With that said, you have to agree that stereotypes are created for a reason, and we like any other nation have our imperfections. Those who were lucky enough to bring these traits and qualities to the U.S. have reaped the rewards, and those who couldn't separate themselves from certain stereotypes, will probably never admit that it prevents them from reaching their full potential. I have quite a few Pakistani relatives living in and around large Pakistani communities throughout the states. I have lived and grown up around DC/VA; where you will find thousands of Pakistani families. The point I am trying to make is that I have become quite familiar with their way of living in the U.S. You will find many successful Pakistanis living in the U.S., and at the same time, you will also find many struggling to achieve the American Dream. Going back to what I said earlier, there are commonalities that reveal the successes of those who've made it, and also, signs that point to the reason some might be struggling to achieve the American Dream. You can Google people like Shahid Khan, Tariq Farid, Ali S. Khan, and see how they've applied that resolve, relentlessness, to their success. Their stories are inspirational and prove that Pakistanis are blessed with ethics that can help them achieve the American Dream. On the other hand, why do I come across so many Pakistanis that can't seem to disengage themselves from habits that fit the stereotypes that have become synonymous with being a Pakistani. Gossip is the first habit that comes to mind. I have come across so many Pakistanis that are always interested in others business, and carry this genuine curiosity about one's income and financial situation. I just don't see how this could help you gain a step ahead or achieve any success. I also come across so many Pakistanis that seem to lack that self belief; while carrying this feeling of hopelessness. One time I met a Pakistani cab driver in NYC, who had been working at La Guardia Airport for 15 years. He complained throughout the ride about how unhappy he is in the U.S. I shared with him a few opportunities in regards to pursuing other careers, but he really didn't care to listen, and remained focused on complaining. I was left wondering; how unhappy are you? After all, you've been doing this for 15 years! This is just one of the many examples that comes to mind. I mean why is it that you meet so many Pakistanis that are always complaining about something? Then there are those who always feel that they are being treated unfairly. I am sure it is true in some cases, but I am talking about the ones that never have anything positive to share.

In my opinion, some of these habits are definitely part of our Pakistani culture, and to an extent, they are less harmful in Pakistan. The life there moves at a different pace. The limited amount of opportunities might even justify some of these habits. But I honestly feel that if Pakistanis here in the U.S. brought a change to their outlook, and instead focused on their potential, then the sky's the limit.

desi's will never change no matter where they go......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom