What's new

CERN wants more Indian scientists, engineers

Only an idiot would think this is good news. We Indians need to work for India not CERN. So build it.
Not necessarily. Sometimes its better to work at these advance research centers so that we can repeat it in our own country. My Prof. worked in NASA, by college director and his wife worked in CERN.

They cam back and organized conferences and the valuable knowledge is passed on by working there and implementing here.

Nationalism is great but without practicality and rationality, it can be detrimental.

http://alicematters.web.cern.ch/?q=taxonomy/sudhir-raniwala

Was Director of LNMIIT and works in University of Rajasthan.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2008091155521200.htm&date=2008/09/11/&prd=th&

The day the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) tests began in Europe turned out to be big for the Jaipur physicist couple Sudhir Raniwala and Rashmi also.

Though not physically present to witness the mother of all experiments in the recent times along with the immediate CERN team on the Swiss-French border, the couple did not miss the excitement a bit on Wednesday.

The Raniwalas, both associate professors in the Rajasthan University’s Physics Department, were part of the 30-member team of Indian scientists chosen by the Department of Atomic Energy’s Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre in Kolkata to develop one of the Photon Multiplicity Detectors (PMDs) used in the LHC. There were 15 PMDs which are to recreate, in the current experiment, conditions that supposedly existed just after the Big Bang.

Not necessarily. Sometimes its better to work at these advance research centers so that we can repeat it in our own country. My Prof. worked in NASA, by college director and his wife worked in CERN.

They cam back and organized conferences and the valuable knowledge is passed on by working there and implementing here.

Nationalism is great but without practicality and rationality, it can be detrimental.

Sudhir Raniwala | ALICE Matters

Was Director of LNMIIT and works in University of Rajasthan.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2008091155521200.htm&date=2008/09/11/&prd=th&

The day the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) tests began in Europe turned out to be big for the Jaipur physicist couple Sudhir Raniwala and Rashmi also.

Though not physically present to witness the mother of all experiments in the recent times along with the immediate CERN team on the Swiss-French border, the couple did not miss the excitement a bit on Wednesday.

The Raniwalas, both associate professors in the Rajasthan University’s Physics Department, were part of the 30-member team of Indian scientists chosen by the Department of Atomic Energy’s Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre in Kolkata to develop one of the Photon Multiplicity Detectors (PMDs) used in the LHC. There were 15 PMDs which are to recreate, in the current experiment, conditions that supposedly existed just after the Big Bang.

Thats excaly what I explained in my other comment:
Screw it Indians should work for India. We don't have a CERN type thing here. Then build it. Last time we were rejected a supercomputer we built it including new Indian compilers and assembly language, something that Indians had never seen before.

A 16 year old Indians boy cracked a 350 year old problem involving projectiles being effected with air resistance. Only problem is that he is German Indian. Could he do that in India??

Similarly, all Indian nobel prizes are with Indian Americans. Americans and Brits every year come up with new Visa policies to attract talented Indians.

Its my appeal to all Indians learn about Vikram Sarabhai, Homi Bhabha etc. They all went outside the country to study, gained experience, contacts but came back to use this knowledge to create marvels for India. They brought revolutions in Indian scientific world. Indian engineers should devote sometime for their nation during their work life.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...ndian-scientists-engineers.html#ixzz2LQe2Fz9A

@karan21 Well you are looking at one side only. There are countless engineers and scientists who worked in top US companies and research center and then came back to India.

Private sector in India is playing a good role these days. But change takes time.

Thing is researcher wants research facilities. Unfortunately we don't have many. Most of the US universities have Super Computer, we have very less.

So I would rather go to foreign R&D center, work there, learn things and return back.

I think you haven't read in recent times the steps are being taken by Indian govt. to attract Indian scientists and engineers back to India, learning from what Chinese govt. is been doing.

Collaborative research is an important part for nation like us which lack funding and resources.

The two persons I mentioned work in collaboration with other people and hence helps in creating and getting valuable information that will help our country.

We are already building Neutrino Laboratory. Google about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@karan21 Well you are looking at one side only. There are countless engineers and scientists who worked in top US companies and research center and then came back to India.

Private sector in India is playing a good role these days. But change takes time.

Thing is researcher wants research facilities. Unfortunately we don't have many. Most of the US universities have Super Computer, we have very less.

So I would rather go to foreign R&D center, work there, learn things and return back.

I think you haven't read in recent times the steps are being taken by Indian govt. to attract Indian scientists and engineers back to India, learning from what Chinese govt. is been doing.

Collaborative research is an important part for nation like us which lack funding and resources.

The two persons I mentioned work in collaboration with other people and hence helps in creating and getting valuable information that will help our country.

Neutrino Lab in backward India?

How? they (workers) are supposed to be paid instead.

Why will India give money?

The Researchers are paid from their parent organisations. CERN only covers their expenses. The contributing countries "share" the reesearch data and then use it to supplement their own local research work.

In conclusion, CERN is a 'shared facility'. Only Countries with subtantial work in Fundamental Research are able to join there. That is how India is part of it.
And in answer to somebody's question here: why some of India's neighbors have no role there.

I know about the Neutrino laboratory Bro. I agree with you that we need to work with best of the best instutions in the world. Attracting Indians back is still a big tast that we need to work on.

Moreover, no matter how hard working Indians are we lack capacity. For example, we only graduate 300-500 computer science PHDs per year compared to 4000 by china and 2500 by USA. How can those 500 even compete with the research produced by them. We need more institutes like IITs. Funding is a big issue.

India dreams more does less. C-DAC promised a 1 petaflop computer in 2012?? Where is it??? Now Sibal came up with a 1 bill $ plan for 132 exaflop computer in 2017. I can only :lol: at this. Even a countries like Thailand and Taiwan has a better chance to produce such a fast computer than India.

Now govt has launched a new electronics manufacturing policy along with cluster scheme and preferential market access policy. This is certainly a broad step by govt to start electronics manufacturing and design in India but do we have enough engineers to f ulfill the demand of even 1.3 bill Indians leave the world like China and South Korea do.

We need to build our capacity, create labs, design centres, research centres and generate more skilled population to compete with them.

Unfortunately our govt spends more money on subsidies of petrol and other populist policies to stay in power than in education. Its a sad story 1.3 bill Indians but not even a single nobel prize. :hitwall:

Good News

BTW it was an Indian scintist Satyendra Nath Bose,after whom the sub-atomic particle boson is named.

good news. Indian doctors and engineers are known for their hard work along with the chinese.

that's true

Hey why don't they hire scientists from India's neighboring countries?

an extremely stupid post

Screw it Indians should work for India. We don't have a CERN type thing here. Then build it. Last time we were rejected a supercomputer we built it including new Indian compilers and assembly language, something that Indians had never seen before.

A 16 year old Indians boy cracked a 350 year old problem involving projectiles being effected with air resistance. Only problem is that he is German Indian. Could he do that in India?? :hitwall:

Similarly, all Indian nobel prizes are with Indian Americans. Americans and Brits every year come up with new Visa policies to attract talented Indians.

Its my appeal to all Indians learn about Vikram Sarabhai, Homi Bhabha etc. They all went outside the country to study, gained experience, contacts but came back to use this knowledge to create marvels for India. They brought revolutions in Indian scientific world. Indian engineers should devote sometime for their nation during their work life.

agreed.

We owe them so much

The golden mean is Indian scientists work abroad, say 8-10 years, earn good amount of money and come back to India.

This way they can earn huge money and India can benefit from their experience.

@karan21 We are in phase buddy. We have been Independent for just 65 years, and 6 decades are nothing for a country. We have so many poor and uneducated people. We have to distribute our resources for all round development. Otherwise we will be facing insurgencies in almost every state.

We are picking up the pace and that's why I support Modi. He talks of these skill training centers and believe in policies followed by China. Its good for people like me.

Running a country of size 1.2 billion with so much corruption and so much diversity is like running an entire continent like Africa or South America.

@karan21 We are in phase buddy. We have been Independent for just 65 years, and 6 decades are nothing for a country. We have so many poor and uneducated people. We have to distribute our resources for all round development. Otherwise we will be facing insurgencies in almost every state.

We are picking up the pace and that's why I support Modi. He talks of these skill training centers and believe in policies followed by China. Its good for people like me.

Running a country of size 1.2 billion with so much corruption and so much diversity is like running an entire continent like Africa or South America.

hahah it all comes down to this. We are just too big so keep waiting and dreaming. Don't lose hope. Victory awaits us. :victory:

Yes.

One such example is Vasant Gowarikar who worked in UK and later joined ISRO as propellant engineer.

Later he became head of ISRO.

The Researchers are paid from their parent organisations. CERN only covers their expenses. The contributing countries "share" the reesearch data and then use it to supplement their own local research work.

In conclusion, CERN is a 'shared facility'. Only Countries with subtantial work in Fundamental Research are able to join there. That is how India is part of it.
And in answer to somebody's question here: why some of India's neighbors have no role there.

100 % contributions came from these countries anyway, so why would India contribute every now and again.
http://dg-rpc.web.cern.ch/dg-rpc/Scale/MemberStatesContributions2012.html

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom