What's new

Car market - India/Pakistan

Let us take the new vehicles. India produces 2.6 million cars (according to SIAM) per year, while Pakistan produces 150000 cars - ratio of 17.4. The ratio of population of India to Pakistan is 7. Meaning vehicle penetration is 2.4 times greater in India than in Pakistan in the recent year.

Without a doubt India manufactures more vehicles. Indian engineeering industry is way ahead. We are strapped because we don't even have indigenous coal or iron which are precursor to heavy industry. I know it can be overcome. The Japs did it but that is exception. Thats Japs for you. The rest all have had coal and iron as feedstock to nurture heavy industry.

However going on the car penetration. Pakistan imports lots of cars. The domestic so called manufacturers ( sorry assemblers ) are just cheap franchises to make money for the well connected. So car sold in Pakistan are local production plus imports.

The Indian figures you quoted are not all sold in India. Lot of them are exported. Again if you check the per car ownership rates you will see it is higher has been higher and is still higher than India. If only slightly now.

Without a doubt India manufactures more vehicles. Indian engineeering industry is way ahead. We are strapped because we don't even have indigenous coal or iron which are precursor to heavy industry. I know it can be overcome. The Japs did it but that is exception. Thats Japs for you. The rest all have had coal and iron as feedstock to nurture heavy industry.

However going on the car penetration. Pakistan imports lots of cars. The domestic so called manufacturers ( sorry assemblers ) are just cheap franchises to make money for the well connected. So car sold in Pakistan are local production plus imports.

The Indian figures you quoted are not all sold in India. Lot of them are exported. Again if you check the per car ownership rates you will see it is higher has been higher and is still higher than India. If only slightly now.

If there is a demand, it make sense to manufacture cars domestically. Importing cars is too costly an affair. I think except a very few, many cannot afford an imported car given that there are lot of custom duties and transportation cost levied on it. The fact that there are few car manufacturers in Pakistan says that demand is not great in Pakistan. And I don't think more than 5% of cars manufactured in India are exported, because the same logic that applies to imports also applies to exports.

If there is a demand, it make sense to manufacture cars domestically. Importing cars is too costly an affair. I think except a very few, many cannot afford an imported car given that there are lot of custom duties and transportation cost levied on it. The fact that there are few car manufacturers in Pakistan says that demand is not great in Pakistan. And I don't think more than 5% of cars manufactured in India are exported, because the same logic that applies to imports also applies to exports.

At least 25% to 30% cars are IMPORTED in Pakistan and this figure is on top of the local production. Please check yourself. irarely make crap because I know it will be found out.

And I will say it again I would wager bet per 1,000 rate of cars is higher in Pakistan.

Ps. I told you the pathetic local franchises are just money making machines for the licence holders. They charge extortionate prices with months waiting time. Thus many people prefer to import as cars from outside have premium because of better quality.

Imported cars in Pakistan = used (mostly) Japanese vehicles. Even the rich in Pakistan use used imported Land Cruisers and Prados.

Last edited:
At least 25% to 30% cars are IMPORTED in Pakistan and this figure is on top of the local production. Please check yourself. irarely make crap because I know it will be found out.

And I will say it again I would wager bet per 1,000 rate of cars is higher in Pakistan.

Ps. I told you the pathetic local franchises are just money making machines for the licence holders. They charge extortionate prices with months waiting time. Thus many people prefer to import as cars from outside have premium because of better quality.

Even if you are right on the % of imported cars, the number of imported car into Pakistan will be around 30000. That will make the demand for cars around 180000 assuming no car from Pakistan is exported. Again doing the math, the ratio doesn't change much.

Of course you would know everything about being found out.

Pakistan Passenger cars sales, numbers per year: For that indicator, OICA provides data for Pakistan from 2005 to 2013. The average value for Pakistan during that period was 134523.22 passenger cars with a minumum of 94437 passenger cars in 2009 and a maximum of 160256 passenger cars in 2006.

India Passenger cars sales, numbers per year: For that indicator, OICA provides data for India from 2005 to 2013. The average value for India during that period was 1947305.33 passenger cars with a minumum of 1106863 passenger cars in 2005 and a maximum of 2781919 passenger cars in 2012.

Pakistan Passenger car sales - data, chart | TheGlobalEconomy.com
India Passenger car sales - data, chart | TheGlobalEconomy.com

On an average over the last 10 years, India car sales were 15 times (1947305/134523) the car sales in Pakistan with 6 times the population. I'm pretty sure you can deduct per capita now.

wait for riaz sir's reply. and you'll know the truth.

Compare countries, compare economies, compare indicators | TheGlobalEconomy.com

upload_2015-10-20_9-4-5.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-4-30.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-5-5.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-6-27.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-7-0.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-7-25.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-7-50.png

upload_2015-10-20_9-8-24.png

Back
Top Bottom