What's new

Captured CST Terrorist

Mumbai suspect lives freely in Pakistan

Backed by military, accused militants go unchallenged
By Kim Barker

Tribune correspondent

7:20 PM CST, December 7, 2008

LAHORE, Pakistan — For a suspected terrorist watched by Washington and wanted in New Delhi, Hafiz Mohammed Saeed seems remarkably carefree.

He lives openly in Lahore, and on Friday, he led prayers at his group's mosque, lecturing about sacrifice to almost 10,000 followers as three armed men stood behind him.

The extradition of Saeed, founder of the Islamic militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, or "army of the pure," was demanded by Indian authorities after the 60-hour siege in Mumbai that killed at least 171 people. He is a suspect in several other attacks in India; the U.S. has listed both Lashkar and its parent group, Jamaat-ud-Dawa, as terrorist organizations.

But Saeed's apparently lax treatment in Pakistan highlights the challenge facing the fledgling civilian government of President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani: how to restrain militant groups once supported by the security forces but now refueling animosity with Pakistan's archfoe India and immense new pressure from the U.S.

Without directly pointing fingers on her visit to Islamabad last week, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice demanded Pakistan actively respond to India's allegations that Lashkar or other Pakistani militants were responsible for the Mumbai attacks.

Lashkar and other groups were founded in the 1980s and early 1990s with the help of the military and spy agencies to fight in the conflict over Indian-controlled Kashmir, disputed since the independence of Pakistan and India in 1947. Although Pakistan banned the groups in 2002, most kept operating and just took new names.

For many Pakistanis, Saeed, 63, is a hero. His group, which reverted to its original name of Jamaat-ud-Dawa after being banned, now professes to perform only charity work. His group's spokesman claims that Saeed is barely involved with Lashkar and describes the group as based in India. And while he has been placed under house arrest several times in the past, Saeed is allowed to go wherever he wants nowadays.

The country's powerful spy agency, Inter-Services Intelligence, or ISI, helped create most of the Kashmiri groups, experts say. But it's not clear what role the ISI or the army have had with the groups recently. Most analysts doubt any government agency had a role in the Mumbai attacks, although rogue and former government operatives may have been involved.

Since winning power, the civilian leaders, have tried to rein in the ISI. Last summer they attempted, without success, to place the agency under the control of the Interior Ministry. They also nominated a new ISI chief, considered a U.S. ally, and pushed to dismantle the agency's political wing.

Analysts said that it was extremely unlikely that Pakistan would turn over Saeed or 19 other men on India's wanted list, or two Lashkar leaders Indian authorities say masterminded the Mumbai attacks. If they did so the already weak government would face a major backlash.

Saeed and the Jamaat group are very popular in Lahore. On Thursday, the group's spokesman offered reporters a tour at the group's elaborate compound outside the city.

At Friday prayers, everyone waited quietly to hear every word Saeed said.

According to a Pakistani journalist who heard the sermon, Saeed said Muslims should not fear bloodshed nor sacrificing themselves for Islam but denied that Jamaat-ud-Dawa had anything to do with the attacks in Mumbai.

He is hardly the only militant wanted by the Indian government who appears to operate freely in public in Pakistan. Maulana Masood Azhar, a militant leader released by India in exchange for hostages on a hijacked airliner in 1999, is building a giant mosque in Bahawalpur.

Jamaat also seems more out in the open than ever, even though many experts say the group uses relief work to recruit new militants.

Last month, it held two large meetings in Lahore's Punjab province, the first large meetings Jamaat held since Lashkar was banned. Saeed talked about the idea of jihad, and some women were so impressed with his speeches that they gave the group their gold jewelry, said Jamaat spokesman Muhammad Yahya Mujahid.

There are now also posters, even in relatively moderate Lahore, advertising the group. One billboard proclaimed: "We can sacrifice our lives to preserve the holiness of the prophet."

kbarker@tribune.com

Mumbai suspect lives freely in Pakistan -- chicagotribune.com

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

As bullets flew, at least one terrorist got a pep talk
By Mumbai Mirror Bureau
Posted On Monday, December 08, 2008

Pakistani boss called up youth who got scared on seeing commandos surround Nariman House, convinced him not to surrender

Despite their gruelling training and resolve to sacrifice their lives for Allah, the terrorists who attacked Mumbai had developed cold feet when surrounded by the police.

Their Pakistan-based boss Zaki-ur Rehman alias Laqvi gave an impromptu pep talk on the phone to prevent one of the two terrorists holed up in Nariman House at Colaba from surrendering.

Mobile intercepts of the two terrorists holed up in Nariman House revealed that one, Abu Omar, got scared when commandos began counter-terrorism operations.

His associate immediately called up Zaki-ur Rehman alias Laqvi and told him that Omar was scared and may try to surrender. On hearing this, Laqvi read some Quranic verses and convinced Omar not to give up by saying he was fighting for Allah and not for any personal gain.

TERRORISTS WATCHED HINDI MOVIES

Besides similar sermons, the terrorists were made to watch Hindi films before they were sent on their terror mission.
The films were to help the terrorists learn to speak like any Mumbai resident, as their foreign accent might have given rise to suspicion among locals.

“[Captured terrorist Ajmal Amir] Qasab claims to have watched several Bollywood films and says he owes most of his Hindi to them.

He otherwise speaks in a thick Punjabi accent with liberal use of Urdu words,” said an officer of the Crime Branch.

The terrorists used the Hindi they picked up through the movies while giving directions to drivers of the cabs hired to take them from Cuffe Parade to their destinations.

Every group was briefed about a set of landmarks on the way to their destination.

“For example,” the officer explained, “the landmarks given to the terrorists supposed to go to the Taj and Leopold were Mantralaya and Regal cinema.

They were asked to casually mention to the cab driver: ‘Mantralaya, Regal hote hue nikaal lena’. Since only a person familiar with the city would talk like that, it would not arouse suspicion.”

Apart from this, sources said, the terrorists were asked to dress like any normal youngster and to not use Urdu words till their operation began.

Mumbai Mirror - As bullets flew, at least one terrorist got a pep talk, News - City,Mumbai Mirror

I want to see my mother: Kasab
9 Dec 2008, 0308 hrs IST, S Ahmed Ali, TNN

MUMBAI: Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist in police custody, repents his act and wants to return to Pakistan. On Saturday night, he

broke down in custody, police sources said.

"Mujhe maaf kar do, mujhe apne desh Pakistan jana hai, meri emmi ke paas'' (Please forgive me, I want to see my mother, I want to go back to my country Pakistan)" Kasab is said to have told policemen interrogating him. "I want to live," he further said.

On Friday, Kasab also expressed his desire to write to his parents in Pakistan. Joint commissioner of police (crime) Rakesh Maria said, "We are legally examining whether he should be granted permission. He told us that he wanted to convince his old parents about how he was misled by the LeT.''

Meanwhile the police are busy collecting evidence to prove that the terrorists who carried out the 26/11 carnage were from Pakistan. The police had recovered several articles suspected to have been carried by the terrorists from the trawler Kuber, hijacked by them to enter Mumbai from Gujarat to Mumbai. Matchboxes, cigarettes, medical kits, flour, detergent powder, cold drinks and brushes-all of Pakistani make-were recovered from the trawler, the police claimed. They also found two 9mm pistols (made by Diamond Nedi Frontier Arms Company, Peshawar).

Maria on Monday claimed to have identified all 10 terrorists. TOI was the first to mention the names of all terrorists. Three of them hail from Okara district in Punjab province, three from Multan, two from Faislabad, one from Sialkot and one from Dera Ismail Khan.

According to Maria, Ismail Khan, Kasab's partner from Dera Ismail Khan, was the group leader and is believed to have taken part in militant attacks in Jammu & Kashmir.

Meanwhile, the Mumbai police procured a transfer warrant against Faheem Ansari to investigate examine his involvement in the 26/11 attacks. Ansari, an accused in the attack on a CRPF camp in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested in February this year along with two trained Pakistani nationals. Ansari is currently in the custody of the UP police. Maria also said the police have not given a clean chit to Vinod Masani, the owner of Kuber.

I want to see my mother: Kasab-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Nothing new then. Just the same stuff regurgitated.

Thanks for this bit.

"The British newspaper The Observer visited this village and reported Sunday that it obtained voter rolls showing the names Qasab reportedly told Indian authorities were his parents'. Village authorities told the Tribune that the couple did not exist."

Alright. So Kasab told the Indian police his parents names were Noor and Amir allegedly. Then the reporter finds that there is a Noor and Amir living in Faridkot. What does this prove? That the Indians have access to the names of people on the public electoral roll perhaps? Or perhaps Kasab really is telling it like it is? The point is this is just allegations, not proof.

You're simply repeating the same stuff which doesnt constitute proof.

:lol::lol::lol:

Coming from you, this is hilarious!

Count the number of times you kept repeating the kalava business. Of course that constituted proof for you. Evidently your government's action against LET tells a different story.

this is the difference.

I saw him wear the Kalava. I heard him talk Hindi. This is good evidence.

You are relying on the words of an interrogator who has all the reason to blame Pakistan for his own interests. This is weak evidence.

desh is a hindi word plus if ISI Was involved they would not hire dumbfucks agent like this one..I am now 100% convinced someone from India is behind this.

this is the difference.

I saw him wear the Kalava. I heard him talk Hindi. This is good evidence.

You are relying on the words of an interrogator who has all the reason to blame Pakistan for his own interests. This is weak evidence.

Its no longer only the investigator.

Your own government's action against the LET suggests something! Does it not?

Its no longer only the investigator.

Your own government's action against the LET suggests something! Does it not?

Not really. Acting on suspicion of somethiing is normal.

You have a warrant to search someone's house. You raid it. It doesn't mean they're guilty. You can take someone in for questioning, it doesn't mean they're guilty. You're clutching at straws.

I do believe the tactic of the Indian media is a poor one. It just loses credibility.

Not really. Acting on suspicion of somethiing is normal.

You have a warrant to search someone's house. You raid it. It doesn't mean they're guilty. You can take someone in for questioning, it doesn't mean they're guilty. You're clutching at straws.

I do believe the tactic of the Indian media is a poor one. It just loses credibility.

You are incredible.

What would it take you to believe that he was a Pakistani!

Three independent international media houses confirming this on the ground and you can dismiss that from thousands of miles away. His neighbors recognizing him, his complete bio-data being available that can be easily cross-checked.

The USA pressure on Pakistan to act, Pakistan actually doing so and arresting the very people who were named by Kasab.

You can only take the horse to the water as a very learned fellow said some time back. ;)

You are incredible.

What would it take you to believe that he was a Pakistani!

Three independent international media houses confirming this on the ground and you can dismiss that from thousands of miles away. His neighbors recognizing him, his complete bio-data being available that can be easily cross-checked.

The USA pressure on Pakistan to act, Pakistan actually doing so and arresting the very people who were named by Kasab.

You can only take the horse to the water as a very learned fellow said some time back. ;)

Alright, what "bio-data" has become available?

And his "neighbours" recognizing him is not proof. It is eyewitness testimony, which is not proof. Normally such evidence is not considered evidence. It is thrown out of court.

But tell me what bio-data you have.

If Kasab was not caught alive India would had a great diffculty for Pakistanie gov't to act on LET. And also we have a talker in our hands that laying out all the beans, that is great.

Back
Top Bottom