What's new

Capt. Pawan Kumar: A Jat, JNU degree holder and a soldier

Capt. Pawan Kumar: A Jat, JNU degree holder and a soldier

Capt_2745770f.jpg

The Hindu
GoC 15 Corps Satish Dua salutes the coffin of Captain Pawan Kumar, who was killed in an encounter with militants in Pampore, south Kashmir. Photo: Nissar Ahmad

TOPICS
crime, law and justice
terrorism (crime)

defence
armed Forces

He was one of the four security personnel killed in the operations at Pampore where terrorists are holed up in a government building.
Captain Pawan Kumar, 22, who died fighting terrorists on Sunday in Pampore in Kashmir valley is an elite Para commando. Incidentally, he belongs to two constituencies that are out on the streets agitating. He is a Jat from Jind district in Haryana and a degree holder from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in Delhi.

His last Facebook post said it all, “Kisi ko reservation chahiye toh kisiko azadi bhai, humein kuch nahi chahiye bhai bas apni razai (Some want reservations, some even freedom, but I want nothing, just my blanket).”

He is one of the five security personnel killed in the operations at Pampore where terrorists are holed up in the government run Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI). The Army also lost Capt Tushar Mahajan from Udhampur and Lance Naik Om Prakash, 32, both from 9 Para who succumbed to injuries in the hospital. Two personnel from the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Head Constable Driver RK Rana and Head Constable Bhola Singh were also killed.

On Capt Kumar one officer said, “He was killed as he was leading his men. The operation was tricky as possibility of some civilians being trapped in was not ruled out.”
(@noksss this is the reason he got killed).

On hearing about his son’s death, Capt Kumar’s father Rajbir Singh's first reaction was, “I had one child, I gave him to the Army, to the nation. No father can be prouder.”

Capt. Kumar’s death and his father’s comments could not be any starker to the developments in his home state Haryana, which is burning due to agitation by the Jat community demanding reservation and as JNU in Delhi boils with debates of anti-nationalism.

“He was destined to be in the Army as he was born on Army Day,” he added.

According to Army officials, he had taken part in two successful operations earlier in which three terrorists were killed — including the operation on February 15 in Pulwama in which one terrorist and two civilians were killed.

Capt. Kumar was born on January 15, 1993, observed as the Army Day, graduated from the 123 course of the National Defence Academy and was commissioned into the Army on December 14, 2013. He was with the 10 Para Special Forces and in service for less than three years.

Incidentally as the situation unfolded in Haryana on Friday, the civilian administration quickly requisitioned the Army. It should be noted that India has one of the largest Central Armed Police Forces and Para Military Forces but once again — reinforcing a growing trend — the army became the primary responder.

“Pawan Kumar was a young and a dynamic officer, He was a true commander”, Lt. Gen. S.K. Dua, General Officer Commanding of Udhampur based 15 Corps said after paying respects to his mortal remains.

The mortal remains of Capt Kumar were transported to Jind by air on Monday for last rites. The Army had appealed to people of Haryana for their full support “in giving a befitting farewell to the brave son of their soil.”

The encounter in Pampore began on Saturday after terrorists entered the seven storey building of the Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) where 2-3 terrorists are still believed to be held up.

Offcourse @Levina I have no doubt that he lead from the front and that's the norm in IA all I am asking is why there are 3 casualty in PARA SF ? which is very high considering the Os they have done in the past so is there anything lacking from our side which is causing more casualty or is the terrorist getting more skilled and trained than our guys is what I want to understand

Ontopic : RIP brother let the JNU student in you become the inspiration for all the Youngsters in the country instead of some @ssholes from the same university

@Levina I have no doubt that he lead from the front and that's the norm in IA all I am asking is why there are 3 casualty in PARA SF ? which is very high considering the Os they have done in the past so is there anything lacking from our side which is causing more casualty or is the terrorist getting more skilled and trained than our guys is what I want to understand
It's a long story....
We have been careless with our special forces. I am so sure that there's something seriously wrong with the way our special forces work. It's very recently that special forces have been empowered, but still the old issues linger on. I do not know the reason for why we have been facing so many casualities (could be the usual over reliance on TECHNIT than HUMNIT) but there's a lot of frustration within the force....or so I think.
Do you know PARA regiment is clubbed with PARA SF???
Special force's men are at times commandeered by CO's who don't belong to SF.
Not so long back, Indian army went in for the addition of four and a half battalions worth of special forces in a span of just three and a half years. This is against the universal truth of SF
1) Humans are More Important than Hardware
2) Quality is Better than Quantity
3) Special Forces Cannot be Mass Produced
4) Competent Special Forces Cannot be Created After Emergencies Arise.
But India decided to imitate US,U.K. and it's western neighbour who had decided to go against these truths.

All this was done while no effort was made to improve the situation in SFTS(special forces training school), and dilutions were made to let as many as 50% of soldiers (under probation) to pass the training.
Yes it's time we checked where we are going wrong. We can not afford to loose our men, who have now become sitting ducks for terrorists.
I have a strong issue with their insignia which says "Balidaan".

@Abingdonboy

@Levina One thing very important to note. He made it to the Para (SF) at the rank of Lieutenant itself. Only in last December he was promoted to Captain.
they must have spotted him as a cadet. Para SF has a probation period of 6 months.

Last edited:
It's a long story....
We have been careless with our special forces. I am so sure that there's something seriously wrong with the way our special forces work. It's very recently that special forces have been empowered, but still the old issues linger on. I do not know the reason for why we have been facing so many casualities (could be the usual over reliance on TECHNIT than HUMNIT) but there's a lot of frustration within the force....or so I think.
Do you know PARA regiment is clubbed with PARA SF???
Special force's men are at times commandeered by CO's who don't belong to SF.
Not so long back, Indian army went in for the addition of four and a half battalions worth of special forces in a span of just three and a half years. This is against the universal truth of SF
1) Humans are More Important than Hardware
2) Quality is Better than Quantity
3) Special Forces Cannot be Mass Produced
4) Competent Special Forces Cannot be Created After Emergencies Arise.
But India decided to imitate US,U.K. and it's western neighbour who had decided to go against these truths.

All this was done while no effort was made to improve the situation in SFTS(special forces training school), and dilutions were made to let as many as 50% of soldiers (under probation) to pass the training.
Yes it's time we checked where we are going wrong. We can not afford to loose our men, who have now become sitting ducks for terrorists.

@Abingdonboy

they must have spotted him as a cadet. Para SF has a probation period of 6 months.

He served for some time in 7 Dogra I think before volunteering for SF.

Regarding SFTS upgradation it's important to note that SFTS, Nahan is a temporary compound. The original tri-services SFTS was supposed to be set-up somewhere in Chattisgarh, but redtapism got the better of it. Even I feel Army should reconsider bifurcating the SF from the regulars of Parachute regt. There was plan to set-up Special Forces regt. in early 90s but the COAS of that time died due to heart-attack. And it was abandoned by the succeding COAS.

But they are out in force to 'claim him' which is why his facebook post is so important and his degree from JNU. SOme people are trying to give out nationalism certificate.
You want to give him a secular certificate? Let the soldier rest in peace.

You want to give him a secular certificate? Let the soldier rest in peace.

You want to deny him the honor of having abided by the constitution in performance of his duties? How low can you get?

Even I feel Army should reconsider bifurcating the SF from the regulars of Parachute regt. There was plan to set-up Special Forces regt. in early 90s but the COAS of that time died due to heart-attack. And it was abandoned by the succeding COAS.

I'm taking this discussion to a more appropriate thread.

I have no doubt that he lead from the front and that's the norm in IA all I am asking is why there are 3 casualty in PARA SF ? which is very high considering the Os they have done in the past so is there anything lacking from our side which is causing more casualty or is the terrorist getting more skilled and trained than our guys is what I want to understand

The strength of the IA has always been its Young Officers who have forever maintained & upheld the dictum that whatever a soldier can do , an Officer can do better.

In a hostage situation things become very unpredictable. In a concrete structure there is little option but to close in.

Gas / stun etc would help I conceed.

Whats the issue here ?
Special force's men are at times commandeered by CO's who don't belong to SF

I presume you mean Commanded.

Examples please.

Tell me the thread where u will be taking it.
Post #6668
Indian Special Forces | Page 445
:)

Whats the issue here ?
To me para SF's insignia is like an old wine in a new bottle. To me it represents the age old Rajput mentality of putting sacrifice before victory.
That's how I perceive it!!!

I presume you mean Commanded
Autocorrect.

third eye said:
Examples please
Do you mean names of CO?
Sorry I don't know the names. But I can give you examples of of the blunders caused due to this.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
To me para SF's insignia is like a new wine in an old bottle. To me it represents the age old Rajput mentality of putting sacrifice before victory.
That's how I perceive it!!!
I agree with General Patton:

No Bastard Ever Won a War by Dying for His Country

That said, I don't beleive the PARA (SF)'s insignia being "sacrifice" makes them more inclined to embrace death- they didn't join the military/SF to die but to fight and that's what they love doing.

Listen to the question/answer at 4.40-

I agree with General Patton:

No Bastard Ever Won a War by Dying for His Country
True that.

That said, I don't beleive the PARA (SF)'s insignia being "sacrifice" makes them more inclined to embrace death- they didn't join the military/SF to die but to fight and that's what they love doing.
That was my POV.

Listen to the question/answer at 4.40-

Will you die at the line of duty??
No, I will kill them and come back.
:tup:
Smart answer by a Marcos commando.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom