What's new

Can Nonintervention-ist East Asian states reign in an Intervention-ist India?

The territorial boundaries of India placates the subcontinent power into a natural 'feel for it' position. She shares boundaries with countries that have different national interests and , in the instance of some, varying gepolicies. With the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar.

So to afford an objective analysis, I would like to answer your question with a rhetorical question: "Is it possible not to have a non-interventionist policy when some neighbors have opposing interests?"

I think in the natural discourse of nation states, there is a natural balance of bilateral trade, investments, with intelligence operations. I would deign to conjecture that India is not the only country that would find it fortuitious to engage in intelligence scouting with neighbors, as i'm sure -- and quite confident -- that surrounding neighbors engage in similar processes.

India, as an enormous nation state, with a population of over 1.2 billion people (and expected to surpass that of China's), a vibrant and heterogenous population dynamic , will find it almost a national imperative to bring neighbors to its magnetic fold. Of course, it will only be natural for some neighbors, out of concerns for the magnanimity of India's growth, will try to court the relations of other powers to try to offset -- or to prevent the total surpass of India's economic, political and military clout.

China is today a larger nation than India with 1.3 billion population and its economy is at least 4-5 times that of India in nominal USD terms, yet China has an explicit policy of nonintervention. China has overt territorial conflicts with neighbor nations, but as far as I know, it does not have a policy of regime change and a policy of sponsoring insurgency, buying up of media, politicians, armed forces and security forces high officials with money and favor. Please correct me if I am wrong. The way India intervenes in other nations affairs, specially in its neighbor nations, it can be considered even worse than what the US did and continue to do in many countries:
Overseas interventions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Bangladesh and Pakistan are size able states in their own right, we are 6th and 8th largest nations in the world by population and if India did not engineer to break it up, together we would remain the 3rd largest nation after India. So even if what you say can apply to Bhutan or Maldives, the size issue cannot apply to Pakistan or Bangladesh. or even Nepal or Sri Lanka, both of whom are size able nations, although not as large as the previous two.

I know that China will never support India's interventionist policy which all of us South Asian nations consider as illegal and criminal as it actually involved killing large numbers of people and perhaps will involve countless more lives in the future. I know you are expressing your individual opinion, but if Japan officially supports such policy of India, we Bangladeshi's as well as other South Asian nations must question the intent of Japan's foreign policy in terms of all of our national interest. You cannot support the illegal actions of a criminal and expect that the victims will support you for your stand. The least a responsible and developed nation like Japan can do is persuade India to give up on its insane run away foreign policy misadventure, in its so called self designated "back yard".

China is today a larger nation than India with 1.3 billion population and its economy is at least 4-5 times that of India in nominal USD terms, yet China has an explicit policy of nonintervention. China has overt territorial conflicts with neighbor nations, but as far as I know, it does not have a policy of regime change and a policy of sponsoring insurgency, buying up of media, politicians, armed forces and security forces high officials with money and favor. Please correct me if I am wrong. The way India intervenes in other nations affairs, specially in its neighbor nations, it can be considered even worse than what the US did and continue to do in many countries:
Overseas interventions of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Bangladesh and Pakistan are size able states in their own right, we are 6th and 8th largest nations in the world by population and if India did not engineer to break it up, together we would remain the 3rd largest nation after India. So even if what you say can apply to Bhutan or Maldives, the size issue cannot apply to Pakistan or Bangladesh. or even Nepal or Sri Lanka, both of whom are size able nations, although not as large as the previous two.

I know that China will never support India's interventionist policy which all of us South Asian nations consider as illegal and criminal as it actually involved killing large numbers of people and perhaps will involve countless more lives in the future. I know you are expressing your individual opinion, but if Japan officially supports such policy of India, we Bangladeshi's as well as other South Asian nations must question the intent of Japan's foreign policy in terms of all of our national interest. You cannot support the illegal actions of a criminal and expect that the victims will support you for your stand. The least a responsible and developed nation like Japan can do is persuade India to give up on its insane run away foreign policy misadventure, in its so called self designated "back yard".

Every nation, despite the position of what their government says, will always have an interventionist policy by championing their national interest. In theory, the United States is also a non-interventionist state, and claims that its involvement in Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Libya, as well as Nicaragua, etc were to maintain international geopolitical interest.

My friend, nation states do not operate in a black and white modality, but rather through multipraxis processes. In the form of national loans, people to people development, and even NGOs, which can be used to influence, perhaps not militarily, but domestic support or the contrary. The point i'm trying to make is that in theory, many nations may claim to be "non-interventionist" but may actually do the antithesis. For example, i should bring up the issue of EEZ and maritime extraterritoriality as basis.

In regards to Japan; we have no partiality in South Asia. As you may well know, we have poured billions of dollars in the development of infrastructure, health, and government (local government units) to our partners in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal. Our sizeable interest is not only limited to India (tho she is home to some 1,000+ Japanese businesses), but also to companies in Bangladesh and Pakista etc. As you may well know, the Indian Navy is a force to be reckoned with , and as the navies of both Pakistan and Bangladesh develop, I'm sure our relations and interaction will also grow. For us, Japan desires a peaceful, growing, and stable South Asia.

South Asia is home to: India (1.2 billion), Pakistan (180 million), Bangladesh (155 million), Sri Lanka (20 million), Nepal (27 million).

A total of around 1.5 - 1.6 Billion people.

Every nation, despite the position of what their government says, will always have an interventionist policy by championing their national interest. In theory, the United States is also a non-interventionist state, and claims that its involvement in Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Libya, as well as Nicaragua, etc were to maintain international geopolitical interest.

My friend, nation states do not operate in a black and white modality, but rather through multipraxis processes. In the form of national loans, people to people development, and even NGOs, which can be used to influence, perhaps not militarily, but domestic support or the contrary. The point i'm trying to make is that in theory, many nations may claim to be "non-interventionist" but may actually do the antithesis. For example, i should bring up the issue of EEZ and maritime extraterritoriality as basis.

In regards to Japan; we have no partiality in South Asia. As you may well know, we have poured billions of dollars in the development of infrastructure, health, and government (local government units) to our partners in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal. Our sizeable interest is not only limited to India (tho she is home to some 1,000+ Japanese businesses), but also to companies in Bangladesh and Pakista etc. As you may well know, the Indian Navy is a force to be reckoned with , and as the navies of both Pakistan and Bangladesh develop, I'm sure our relations and interaction will also grow. For us, Japan desires a peaceful, growing, and stable South Asia.

South Asia is home to: India (1.2 billion), Pakistan (180 million), Bangladesh (155 million), Sri Lanka (20 million), Nepal (27 million).

A total of around 1.5 - 1.6 Billion people.

When I say South Asia, what I mean is South Asian nations that are India's neighbors.

The US is no longer non-interventionist not even in theory, specially so after end of WW II, so it is the perfect example of an Interventionist state today.

I am well aware of how nation states operate, but there is a huge difference between trying to increase influence through soft power, NGO and financial means and overt actions of infiltration and taking over a nation trying to exercise full control of that state as a vassal entity. What India does not realize is that because of its nervousness which prompts it to take such course, eventually it will backfire on its own face, a classic blow-back so to speak. So in its effort to advance its own national interest it is actually doing long term harm to its national interest. No country and people like intervention, specially hostile ones that involves killing people and repression.

Japan has a history of helping all South Asian nations without partiality and I acknowledge my personal gratefulness for Japan's past and future help to our nation in particular.

But geopolitics is currently going through a major shift in Asia, mainly because of rise of formerly underdeveloped nations which are getting more developed, some faster than others, but all are rising at different paces.

While it is in China's national interest to persuade India to tone down on its policy of intervention, we hope Japan will consider the same approach, as I believe it is also in the interest of India's long term interest. China has no plans of military alliance or ties with India, as far as I can tell. If Japan has future plans in that regard, then this will further increase the urgency for Japan to persuade India, once it becomes a formal military ally/partner (supplying weapons systems), to become a more responsible player, as a closer ally and well wisher of India.

As mentioned before, I consider Japan to be an asset for all Asians, an innovative and high achieving nation, despite its past problems. I look forward to a time, when China, Japan and South Korea will become the new Asian core, whereas other Asian nations will become semi-peripheral and peripheral nations around this Asian core:
World-systems theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This in my opinion will happen in 20-30 years time frame when China's economy and military prowess far exceeds that of the US or even the combined power of NATO. In about 15-20 years when China reaches peer status with the US, I think there will be a new expanded SCO based military alliance led by China and Russia among willing Asian nations. If an anonymous poster of Bangladeshi origin can see this much in the future, I am sure strategists in Japan are aware of much more. So I am confident that Japan will not burn its bridges with nations that are going to be its future allies. India for obvious reasons will remain out of this military alliance. It will have extensive trade and commercial relations with rest of Asian nations, but militarily it will remain closer to the West, due to weapons system sourcing needs. Although officially I think India will strive to retain its non-aligned status of not taking any sides, so it can reap as much benefit as possible from all sides and develop and become a core country by itself like China-Japan-Korea combination.

If India continues with its current interventionist policy and gets away with pursuing this policy with impunity in its immediate neighborhood, what I believe will happen in the future is that, once its economy has grown and becomes closer to China, it will start targeting other nations in the global arena and no one will be immune from its tentacles including your own, just like no one is immune from US intervention, except for soon to be peer power like China. So I feel as India's immediate neighbor, who have gotten the taste of India's Interventionist policies, we have a responsibility to inform the illegal and criminal behavior of this nation state to the world so it can be persuaded to pursue a more sane and reasonable foreign policy over time.

China's noninterventionist policy is the subject of that paper, so it is not my imagination but opinion of scholars. Japan has a pacifist constitution since end of WW II and Japanese foreign policy is by definition non-interventionist in nature.

There is no backyard of any nation that is recognized under International norms, practices and law. There is only sovereign nation states, which is recognized by International law:
Sovereign state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lol.. We know there is no backyard, but there are in diplomatic circles. Why didnt US didnt allow Soviet Missiles in Cuba?
China wont allow great Indian Participation with countries in her backyard, and we will do the same. China is many times Interventionalist wrt neighbours than India.

Lol.. We know there is no backyard, but there are in diplomatic circles. Why didnt US didnt allow Soviet Missiles in Cuba?
China wont allow great Indian Participation with countries in her backyard, and we will do the same. China is many times Interventionalist wrt neighbours than India.

The US had an economy that always was bigger than Soviet Union. The US and its NATO allies also had technological edge over Soviet bloc.

China also has both of these edges with regards to India, 4-5 times the GDP and technological edge.

So, both US and China is justified to exert their influence in the neighborhood. But it will take another 50 years for India to reach parity with Chinese if ever, please talk to us then about your backyard. But by that time we and many of India's neighbor nations will have a solid military alliance with China, even with bases if everything goes well.

It is just bad luck for you that India is right next to China, can't envy you there.:lol::china::china::china:

The US had an economy that always was bigger than Soviet Union. The US and its NATO allies also had technological edge over Soviet bloc.

China also has both of these edges with regards to India, 4-5 times the GDP and technological edge.

So, both US and China is justified to exert their influence in the neighborhood. But it will take another 50 years for India to reach parity with Chinese if ever, please talk to us then about your backyard. But by that time we and many of India's neighbor nations will have a solid military alliance with China, even with bases if everything goes well.

It is just bad luck for you that India is right next to China, can't envy you there.:lol::china::china::china:

So Bangladesh does not have any shame, and it will change its Master from India to China ! :lol: What an Idea Sirji...!
Good luck Darling...! China isnt a Idiot like you though, I must pity..!

So Bangladesh does not have any shame, and it will change its Master from India to China ! :lol: What an Idea Sirji...!
Good luck Darling...! China isnt a Idiot like you though, I must pity..!

We lost our shame since your Ram Rajya proponents in South block kept screwing with our people since 1947 and we will not stop till we bring in a PLAN base in Chittagong, just so you know.

We lost our shame since your Ram Rajya proponents in South block kept screwing with our people since 1947 and we will not stop till we bring in a PLAN base in Chittagong, just so you know.
From 1947 we screwed you, are you sure?
is it the one in left or far left.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom