What's new

Calculus created in India 250 years before Newton: study

BlueDot_in_Space

Reaction score
Researchers in England may have finally settled the centuries-old debate over who gets credit for the creation of calculus.

For years, English scientist Isaac Newton and German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz both claimed credit for inventing the mathematical system sometime around the end of the seventeenth century.

Now, a team from the universities of Manchester and Exeter says it knows where the true credit lies — and it's with someone else completely.

The "Kerala school," a little-known group of scholars and mathematicians in fourteenth century India, identified the "infinite series" — one of the basic components of calculus — around 1350.

Dr. George Gheverghese Joseph, a member of the research team, says the findings should not diminish Newton or Leibniz, but rather exalt the non-European thinkers whose contributions are often ignored.

"The beginnings of modern maths is usually seen as a European achievement but the discoveries in medieval India between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries have been ignored or forgotten," he said. "The brilliance of Newton's work at the end of the seventeenth century stands undiminished — especially when it came to the algorithms of calculus.

"But other names from the Kerala School, notably Madhava and Nilakantha, should stand shoulder to shoulder with him as they discovered the other great component of calculus — infinite series."

He argues that imperialist attitudes are to blame for suppressing the true story behind the discovery of calculus.

"There were many reasons why the contribution of the Kerala school has not been acknowledged," he said. "A prime reason is neglect of scientific ideas emanating from the Non-European world, a legacy of European colonialism and beyond."

However, he concedes there are other factors also in play.

"There is also little knowledge of the medieval form of the local language of Kerala, Malayalam, in which some of most seminal texts, such as the Yuktibhasa, from much of the documentation of this remarkable mathematics is written," he admits.

Joseph made the discovery while conducting research for the as-yet unpublished third edition of his best-selling book The Crest of the Peacock: the Non-European Roots of Mathematics.

Calculus created in India 250 years before Newton: study - CBC News

So? It's kind of like those who say America was discovered before Columbus. True ....the "Indians" here knew about it, and it is proven Norse were the first Europeans here. What came of it? Nada. After Columbus, the Hemispheres interacted....and the west was integrated. Perhaps a neaderthal discovered Calculus. What of it? After Newton and Liebniz, calculus actually mattered.

This is what Wikipedia says abt 'Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics,

The Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics was a school of mathematics and astronomy founded by Madhava of Sangamagrama in Kerala, India, which included among its members: Parameshvara, Neelakanta Somayaji, Jyeshtadeva, Achyuta Pisharati, Melpathur Narayana Bhattathiri and Achyuta Panikkar. The school flourished between the 14th and 16th centuries and the original discoveries of the school seems to have ended with Narayana Bhattathiri (1559–1632)..

In attempting to solve astronomical problems, the Kerala school independently created a number of important mathematics concepts. Their most important results—series expansion for trigonometric functions—were described in Sanskrit verse in a book by Neelakanta called Tantrasangraha, and again in a commentary on this work, called Tantrasangraha-vakhya, of unknown authorship. The theorems were stated without proof, but proofs for the series for sine, cosine, and inverse tangent were provided a century later in the work Yuktibhasa (c.1500-c.1610), written in Malayalam, by Jyesthadeva, and also in a commentary on Tantrasangraha.

Their work, completed two centuries before the invention of calculus in Europe, provided what is now considered the first example of a power series (apart from geometric series).[2] However, they did not formulate a systematic theory of differentiation and integration, nor is there any direct evidence of their results being transmitted outside Kerala

Possibility of transmission of Kerala School results to Europe

A. K. Bag suggested in 1979 that knowledge of these results might have been transmitted to Europe through the trade route from Kerala by traders and Jesuit missionaries.[18] Kerala was in continuous contact with China and Arabia, and Europe.

The suggestion of some communication routes and a chronology by some scholars[19][20] could make such a transmission a possibility, however, there is no direct evidence by way of relevant manuscripts that such a transmission took place.[20] In fact, according to David Bressoud, "there is no evidence that the Indian work of series was known beyond India, or even outside of Kerala, until the nineteenth century."[9][21]
Both Arab and Indian scholars made discoveries before the 17th century that are now considered a part of calculus.[10] However, they were not able, as Newton and Leibniz were, to "combine many differing ideas under the two unifying themes of the derivative and the integral, show the connection between the two, and turn calculus into the great problem-solving tool we have today."[10] The intellectual careers of both Newton and Leibniz are well-documented and there is no indication of their work not being their own;[10] however, it is not known with certainty whether the immediate predecessors of Newton and Leibniz, "including, in particular, Fermat and Roberval, learned of some of the ideas of the Islamic and Indian mathematicians through sources of which we are not now aware."[10] This is an active area of current research, especially in the manuscript collections of Spain and Maghreb, research that is now being pursued, among other places, at the Centre national de la recherche scientifique in Paris.

Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

since it seems like a necessity for the indians to take credit for calculus- or for that matter every thing-

i do Hope that will solve the indian poverty and rape problem-

Maybe calculus can indeed help solve indian poverty and rape problem- all you have to do is multiply it with Zero- :lol:-

Oh indians invented zero aswell-
what a clever human race-

oh well- even the human race originated from india- Lol-

Amazing-

Well future indian claim would be Martians are amazing but indian- :rofl:-

Here's an interesting link; way back in 650 AD, an Indian mathematician Brahmagupta, had a stroke of genius and managed to formalize Arithmetic operations with zero, he still got that part wrong where numbers have to be divided by zero. It took another 1000 years and two European natural philosophers, Issac Newton and Leibniz to rectify this glaring error.

The History Of Zero

That begs the question, what were the Indians doing for 1000 years after the first arithmetic operations were codified by Brahmagupta? Enjoying Kama Sutra?

Tells you a lot about the Indian way of thinking, the lazy culture and lack of support for researchers and original thinkers. It took a bunch of Europeans to perfect Indians' only claim to fame in the world of Scientific discovery.

So? It's kind of like those who say America was discovered before Columbus. True ....the "Indians" here knew about it, and it is proven Norse were the first Europeans here. What came of it? Nada. After Columbus, the Hemispheres interacted....and the west was integrated. Perhaps a neaderthal discovered Calculus. What of it? After Newton and Liebniz, calculus actually mattered.

No,you suppressed by force the ideas coming out of India,

Thats the reason why,European countries sent their armeis out to the world.

Let's give the Indians something to be happy about, there isn't much left to boast apart from the dubious distinction of being world's rape capital.

Jhande badal de bhai.

Jhande badal de bhai.

Why can't you Indians handle the truth? Well you do make good lackeys and sycophants since you worship power, status and money.

Here's one right for you:

Sach hamesha karhwa hota hai, tere jaisa Hindustani hamesha bhadwa nikalta hai

I'm a US-citizen of Indian origin

Sach ka saamna karna humein aata hain,aur hum tumhari aukaat bhi jaante hain.

aise time pass bakayti karke kuch nahi hone waala,My family has more scientists and intellectuals borna nd riased in India than you ll ever have in your american family.

Sach ka saamna karna humein aata hain,aur hum tumhari aukaat bhi jaante hain.

aise time pass bakayti karke kuch nahi hone waala,My family has more scientists and intellectuals borna nd riased in India than you ll ever have in your american family.

I had to LOL at that one, you Indians think too highly of yourselves. It's called hubris, a word that doesn't have an exact translation in Indian languages. Trust me, you're nothing.

Why can't you Indians handle the truth? Well you do make good lackeys and sycophants since you worship power, status and money.

Here's one right for you:

Sach hamesha karhwa hota hai, tere jaisa Hindustani hamesha bhadwa nikalta hai

I'm a US-citizen of Indian origin

Bhadwa tu hein...Samje..We can defend ourselves... Please change the flag...

I had to LOL at that one, you Indians think too highly of yourselves. It's called hubris, a word that doesn't have an exact translation in Indian languages. Trust me, you're nothing.

you think your words get any relevance here.

I have family who went to Ivy league and they are all proud Indians.

Perhaps parasite boarder jumpers like you who got free food from the USA have low self esteem.

And we are more than happy to say good riddance to low life scum like you.

The word hubris has an equivalent,it is called Thaat.

Again,you need self esteem to even learn to say that word.

Trust me, despite my US citizenship, I do more for India financially than most of you slumlords will in a lifetime.

why are you doing that,sir?

Either you make money out of it or you are lying off your pompous ***/gob and perhaps there ain't no difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom