What's new

BYD: Road to Dominance of Electric Vehicle/Transport

Yes, battery grade lithium production is quite polluting as the current method does not allow "Clean" (both environment term and industrial term) extraction, Lithium is a highly reactive metal, and the only way we can extract Lithium is to burn (or deoxidize) the oxide and water from the lithium and extract lithium this way, and this process will produce almost as much, if not more greenhouse gas than internal combustion engine.

Electric car is not going to change the world,at least not the electric car in this generation, most people buy them just to make a statement, I mean, my wife drive a Prius and I drive a Volvo, and in effect her prius is almost always in our garage
indeed,

also you need buy your wife some better wheels, if i gave my other half a prius, id be sleeping on the sofa for a long time.
and volvo's........the only good one's are the xc90 but i assume there too big for you if you dont have kids or a huge dog.

do you want to know something interesting? electric cars do as much damage to the environment as petrol powered car if not more.

why you may ask?

the precious metals required for the batteries and motors such as nickle, magnesium, cobalt and lithium thats need to be extracted from the earth are ver dificult to mine since they are very few places you can get them and even there its very sparce. so a hypothetical scenario would be it would take 1000 tonnes to make about 100 tonnes of steel but for lithium1000 tonnes would only get you a fraction of what you'd get if you were mining steel. obviously the numbers are incorrect but they give you an idea of the how much more mining you need to do to get the precious metals at the quantities you what.

China cares more about energy independence than the environment. The bottom line is that there are massive lithium reserves in China. Can't say the same for petroleum.
lithium.JPG

also ask your self when your charging your electric car where is this power comming from?

How about a solar roof powering your electric car in the garage?

https://www.tesla.com/solar
section-hero.jpg

China is the world's largest market for both photovoltaics and solar thermal energy. Since 2013 China has been the world's leading installer of solar photovoltaics, reaching a total installed capacity of over 43 GW by the end of 2015.

China has been the world's largest manufacturer of solar panels since 2008 and, since 2011, has produced the majority of global photovoltaics on an annualized basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_China

China cares more about energy independence than the environment. The bottom line is that there are massive lithium reserves in China. Can't say the same for petroleum.
View attachment 370098

How about a solar roof powering your electric car in the garage?

https://www.tesla.com/solar
View attachment 370099

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_China
point being the extraction of lithium on a large scale does a huge amount of damage.

solar power is a good idea but that very picture you posted outline its major flaw, its only good when its sunny and does not produce enough to power a car as fast as compared to charging from the mains.

solar power is a good idea but that very picture you posted outline its major flaw, its only good when its sunny and does not produce enough to power a car as fast as compared to charging from the mains.

Powerwall 2 is a battery for homes and small businesses that stores the sun’s energy and delivers clean, reliable electricity when the sun isn’t shining. Combine Powerwall, solar and an electric vehicle to create a zero emission lifestyle.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

indeed,

also you need buy your wife some better wheels, if i gave my other half a prius, id be sleeping on the sofa for a long time.
and volvo's........the only good one's are the xc90 but i assume there too big for you if you dont have kids or a huge dog.

Well, she bought a Prius, that have nothing to do with me lol.......I was going to get her a new Honda Civic but she said no. I drove a Volvo S60 Second Gen, I got it in 2009 if I remember correctly and I still drive it.

But anyway, to extract battery grade lithium, you need to burn the lithium oxide for over 1400C to deoxide the oxide compound (KCl + LiCl) this combustion scale is a lot more damaging than a normal internal combustion engine which is around 1300-1600C

Well, she bought a Prius, that have nothing to do with me lol.......I was going to get her a new Honda Civic but she said no. I drove a Volvo S60 Second Gen, I got it in 2009 if I remember correctly and I still drive it.

But anyway, to extract battery grade lithium, you need to burn the lithium oxide for over 1400C to deoxide the oxide compound (KCl + LiCl) this combustion scale is a lot more damaging than a normal internal combustion engine which is around 1300-1600C
and to actuallyburn the lithium oxide your most likey gonna use an arc furnace which are very thirsty.

in short people who buy electric cars are gullible.
you know what i think i shall let jeremy take over here...........

Environmentally-Friendly Battery Energy Storage System to Be Installed at UC San Diego

One of the largest, most environmentally-friendly, battery-based energy storage systems in the nation will be installed at the University of California, San Diego the campus announced today. The 2.5 megawatt (MW), 5 megawatt-hour (MWh) system—enough to power 2,500 homes—will be integrated into the university’s microgrid, which generates 92 percent of the electricity used on campus annually and is considered one of the world’s most advanced microgrids. A microgrid is a small-scale version of a traditional large power grid that controls energy from clean sources such as wind and solar power, as well as from conventional technology.

Energy storage systems are technologies that convert electricity into another form of stored energy and then convert the energy back to electricity at another time. Energy storage helps integrate intermittent renewable resources, such as solar power, and provides power when it is needed for consumption. The technology is considered key to enhancing grid reliability as well as grid resiliency in the face of adverse conditions.

The 2.5 MW, 5 MWh energy storage system at UC San Diego was purchased from BYD, the world’s largest supplier of rechargeable batteries. BYD’s energy storage system uses high performance lithium-ion iron-phosphate batteries that are known for being highly reliable and environmentally-friendly. The company’s rechargeable batteries contain no heavy metals or toxic electrolytes and, during the manufacturing process, all caustic or harmful materials are avoided. The batteries are also considered non-explosive and fire-safe, even in direct flames. The company has supplied more than 100 MWh of fixed energy storage stations around the world.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelea...ry_energy_storage_system_to_be_installed_at_u

and to actuallyburn the lithium oxide your most likey gonna use an arc furnace which are very thirsty.

in short people who buy electric cars are gullible.
you know what i think i shall let jeremy take over here...........

Well, electric car is a good concept, just that they should not be powered by any sort or form of battery, Battery manufacturing is notoristly dirty, and let's not forget how mining Lithium Oxide itself is another dirty business. People are quite gullible indeed to think Battery Car can change the world, it just doesn't, as long as they uses battery, it never going to be as clean as Hydrogen Fuel cell or even a more efficient internal combustion engine.I mean, at least you can control how a 2000cc (or 2 liters) engine burn their fuel.

and oh my god, I love JC, he had some crazy idea over the time and saying electric car is not good for environment is not one of them, he have that right there.

Tianjin adds 500 electric buses to its fleet

9 January 2017 | News | Source: Tony Pugliese

China's northern city of Tianjin took delivery of 500 electric buses last week for use as public service vehicles, according to local reports.

The buses were developed by Shenzen-based BYD with the collaboration of bus operator Tianjin Bus Group. They have a range of 200km (120 miles) on a single charge, enough for their daily operations, according to the bus operator.

A new charging station has also been completed in the city with the capacity to charge 80 buses at a time, or 448 buses daily.

The reports claim Tianjin now operates 3,220 new energy buses, of which almost 1,350 units are electric-powered.

China has been in the news in recent weeks for the choking smog that has enveloped its main cities, mostly in the north of the country. The smog is typically made up of fine dust caused by coal power stations, vehicle exhaust and naturally occurring dust. Tianjin is one of the country's worst affected cities.

http://www.just-auto.com/electric-d...-500-electric-buses-to-its-fleet_n174229.aspx

For those that don't understand what Tesla is trying to show in the graphic, I've labeled the three essential technologies.
section-hero.jpg

c1c75e5d477176703aefc047f221a9f0.jpg

Basically, if you have these three technologies, your car will never require another tank of gasoline and your entire house and all electrical appliances inside can go off-grid.

What people don't know is that BYD (and other Chinese companies) can provide all of these products too...and in some instances already deployed in a much larger scale.

The key here is energy self-sufficiency. The environment is secondary.

China's BYD to make UCI first U.S. campus with all-electric fleet of buses
Source: Xinhua | 2017-01-25 04:26:03 | Editor: huaxia

CnybnyE005022_20170124_NYMFN0A001_11n.jpg
The 20 electric buses being built by BYD will feature UCI colors and emblems. (Photo Credit/UCI)

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- BYD's electric-powered buses will make the University of California, Irvine (UCI) the first college campus in U.S. to convert its traditional diesel fuel-powered buses to an all-electric transit fleet, according the UCI.

The student-funded and operated Anteater Express shuttle service is acquiring 20 buses from BYD (Build Your Dreams) for 15 million U.S. dollars. These high-quality vehicles are being built at BYD's Lancaster, California plant to roll onto campus for the 2017-18 academic year, the UCI said.

"UC Irvine has made a strong, forward-looking decision by becoming an all-electric campus, and we know more universities and cities will follow. That is why we are adding hundreds of thousands of square feet and hundreds more jobs in Lancaster -- to meet demand for this important technology," Stella Li, president of BYD America, told Xinhua on Tuesday.

Undergraduates previously voted to pay up to $40 each quarter to the ASUCI to finance the bus purchase and other costs. Individual rides are free.

"I hope the rest of the country can follow us," Tracy La, the president of Associated Students of UCI (ASUCI) said in a statement. "I hope other colleges and universities will do this."

UCI plans to slash tons of carbon dioxide and harmful soot annually by replacing diesel with electric buses. A survey of students last year found that of an array of transportation options, the top priority was providing electric buses over conventional ones.

"The hydrogen electric bus emits no carbon -- neither does the battery electric bus," said engineering professor Scott Samuelsen, who heads the National Fuel Cell Research Center.

"This forward-looking decision is proof of what many in higher education already know: that electric vehicles aren't a far-off technology of the future but are here and ready to be put to use today," Li said.

China's BYD to make UCI first U.S. campus with all-electric fleet of buses
Source: Xinhua | 2017-01-25 04:26:03 | Editor: huaxia

CnybnyE005022_20170124_NYMFN0A001_11n.jpg
The 20 electric buses being built by BYD will feature UCI colors and emblems. (Photo Credit/UCI)

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 24 (Xinhua) -- BYD's electric-powered buses will make the University of California, Irvine (UCI) the first college campus in U.S. to convert its traditional diesel fuel-powered buses to an all-electric transit fleet, according the UCI.

The student-funded and operated Anteater Express shuttle service is acquiring 20 buses from BYD (Build Your Dreams) for 15 million U.S. dollars. These high-quality vehicles are being built at BYD's Lancaster, California plant to roll onto campus for the 2017-18 academic year, the UCI said.

"UC Irvine has made a strong, forward-looking decision by becoming an all-electric campus, and we know more universities and cities will follow. That is why we are adding hundreds of thousands of square feet and hundreds more jobs in Lancaster -- to meet demand for this important technology," Stella Li, president of BYD America, told Xinhua on Tuesday.

Undergraduates previously voted to pay up to $40 each quarter to the ASUCI to finance the bus purchase and other costs. Individual rides are free.

"I hope the rest of the country can follow us," Tracy La, the president of Associated Students of UCI (ASUCI) said in a statement. "I hope other colleges and universities will do this."

UCI plans to slash tons of carbon dioxide and harmful soot annually by replacing diesel with electric buses. A survey of students last year found that of an array of transportation options, the top priority was providing electric buses over conventional ones.

"The hydrogen electric bus emits no carbon -- neither does the battery electric bus," said engineering professor Scott Samuelsen, who heads the National Fuel Cell Research Center.

"This forward-looking decision is proof of what many in higher education already know: that electric vehicles aren't a far-off technology of the future but are here and ready to be put to use today," Li said.

More (driving) jobs created (by China) for (white) (middle aged) (disgruntled) (unemployed) (real) Americans.

Trump +1. Trump haters -1.

More (driving) jobs created (by China) for (white) (middle aged) (disgruntled) (unemployed) (real) Americans.

Trump +1. Trump haters -1.

These high-quality vehicles are being built at BYD's Lancaster, California plant
Trump +2. Don't forget the additional factory jobs at BYD's Lancaster, California plant.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/02/06/electric-truck-bus-byd/
Electric Truck and Bus Maker BYD on a Roll After Bumpy Start
JOHN O'DELL
FEBRUARY 6, 2017
ELECTRIC VEHICLES,TRUCKING TECHNOLOGY
byd-electruc-truck.jpg

BYD's T9 cab and chassis is the basis for several Class 8 electric trucks the company is developing for the U.S. market. (Photo: BYD)

BYD’s California truck and bus facility isn’t much to look at – an elderly concrete tilt-up in a mostly still unbuilt industrial center in Lancaster, a high-desert community about 70 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

But things are changing for the electric vehicle maker, a unit of China’s giant BYD Co.

BYD has started a factory expansion on a 200,000-square-foot lot in front of the former recreational vehicle assembly plant the company acquired in 2013 as part of a deal to sell electric buses in the U.S. Plans call for the workforce, now about 530 people, to triple by 2020, with most of the jobs located at the Lancaster facilities.

For now, much of BYD’s growth comes from the electric bus operations. It just inked a deal to supply 20 electric shuttle buses to the University of California, Irvine, and has sold about 300 buses in the U.S. since 2013.

But medium- and heavy-duty electric trucks make up an ever-increasing part of BYD’s commercial vehicle business in the U.S., said Andy Swanton, vice president of the BYD Truck division. In the U.S., the truck and BYD Coach and Bus operations are subsidiaries of BYD Motors. In just two years, BYD Truck has sold about 150 electric trucks to U.S. customers, he said.

Truck Portfolio
BYD has taken direct aim at the port and rail yard business with a new Class 8 tractor, but its electric truck portfolio is much broader than that.

The company presently offers medium-duty step vans, stake-bed, box and refrigerated trucks using BYD’s trucks in the Class 5 through 7 weight segments. It offers aClass 6 trash collection truckand Class 8 tractors designed for the short-haul goods movement industry, principally in ports and other freight-handling facilities. Its step vans have been developed as a pilot project with delivery giant UPS, opening up a significant potential marketplace.

bys-ups-truck.jpg

BYD developed this medium-duty step van for UPS. (Photo: BYD)

The first two of the Class 8 off-road tractors were delivered to the Port of Los Angeles late last year under a$26.6-million “green terminal” demonstrationproject funded by the California Air Resources Board and the terminal operator, Pasha Stevedoring and Terminals.

Additionally, the company issupplying 27 medium- and heavy-duty electric trucksfor freight handling and service truck duties at a trio of railway and truck freight yards in inland Southern California under a $9.1-million grant from the state’s air quality regulators.

BYD also is developing a heavy-duty trash truck and a Class 8 on-road tractor for the U.S. market, using a model already in service in China, Swanton said. The trucks will use the company’s integrated rear-axle motor with an internal transmission. The over-the-road truck can travel 100 miles on a single charge of its batteries, he said.

Down the road, he said, are plans for Class 1 to 4 trucks that can be configured in a variety of ways, from walk-in delivery vans to municipal street sweepers.

The Electric Truck Market
While buses have been BYD’s best business in the U.S., Swanton said truck sales are starting to catch up.

Electric trucksaren’t new – light- and medium-duty models have been in the market for years now, although sales numbers are low.

But interest has increased along with increasing restrictions on diesel exhaust.

“Some companies we talk to are still skeptical that electric trucks are ready for market, but we mainly see excitement,” Swanton said. “There’s a market here. A lot of truck people see that electric cars like the Tesla have worked in the passenger car market, and that is emboldening them to be willing to try electric trucks.”

xBYD’s electric bus division makes everything from small shuttles to this large, 60-foot articulated transit bus. It has orders for the big bus from transit districts in Albuquerque and California’s Antelope Valley. (Photo: BYD)

Hurdles Remain
The main barriers, he said, are initial price (electric trucks can cost tens of thousands of dollars more than diesels), skepticism about the reliability of electric truck technology, and uncertainty about the cost and availability of charging systems.

“But when you factor in fuel savings and maintenance savings over the life of a truck, then even when you disregard the state and federal incentives that most electric truck purchasers get, there’s a good business case to be made,” said Swanton. Incentives, he added, simply boost the financial case for going electric.

Another barrier is competition. While BYD is a big player with lots of financial backing, it isn’t alone in the electric truck – or bus – markets.

In addition to Proterra, other electric bus competition includes Ebus, a California manufacturer; Green Power Motor Co., a Canadian electric bus maker with a U.S. subsidiary in California; and New Flyer Industries, a major conventional bus maker that has branched into electric powertrain offerings as well. New Flyer is headquartered in Winnipeg, Canada, but has extensive U.S. facilities.

On the truck side, BYD competes against companies such asOrange EV, a Kansas City-area start-up manufacturing electric trucks including drayage tractors for ports and freight terminals; Nikola Motor Co., a Salt Lake City-based developer of aClass 8 hydrogen fuel-cell electric over-the-road tractor; andWrightspeed Powertrainsand Motive, Northern California manufacturers of commercial vehicle electric powertrains. Motive makes all-electric systems and Wrightspeed makes electric drive systems with range-extending turbine generators.

Workhorse Group, an Ohio-based manufacturer of Class 3 to 6 electric trucks and step vans, also competes in some of BYD’s markets.

Additionally, several major truck and carmakers have announced plans to enter the electric truck market in coming years. They include Toyota Motor Co., which recently announced its intent to develop a Class 8 fuel-cell electric truck, and Daimler,MackandTesla, all with plans for medium and heavy electric trucks.

byd-bus.jpg

BYD’s electric bus division makes everything from small shuttles to this large, 60-foot articulated transit bus. It has orders for the big bus from transit districts in Albuquerque and California’s Antelope Valley.

Heavy U.S. Ownership
BYD Co., a Chinese company founded in 1995 as a battery maker, is based in Shenzhen, a business and financial center just north of Hong Kong. It acquired a Chinese car company in 2003 and has since become one the world’s largest electric car, bus and truck manufacturers.

But while BYD’s corporate officers and directors all are Chinese, more than 60 percent of its Hong Kong-traded stock is owned by U.S. investors.

Chief among them is billionaire investor Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway Corp.

It owns 9.9 percent of the company and is BYD’s largest shareholder.

Growing U.S. Presence
The 120,000-square-foot BYD Coach and Bus plant in Lancaster can turn out 150 buses and 100 trucks annually. Bus production could grow to 1,000 units when the plant is fully built out, Swanton said.

As orders increase, truck production is expected to swell as well. There’s a 40,000-square-foot extension of the existing facility set to open early this year as well as the 200,000-square-foot expansion that is planned for completion at the end of the year.

The company’s battery unit operates a separate lithium-ion battery assembly facility in a 44,000-square-foot facility a few miles from the truck and bus plant.

BYD says it’s the only electric vehicle company that makes its own batteries. It uses a lithium-iron phosphate chemistry that provides slightly less energy density per cell but longer life and greater thermal stability than other lithium chemistries. That enables BYD to provide 12-year battery warranties for its buses and trucks.

Rocky Start
BYD initially intended to compete in the U.S. passenger car market but was stymied by industry and consumer resistance to Chinese-made cars.

When BYD first came to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit nine years ago, it was relegated to the basement of the Cobo Hall exhibition center.

BYD’s U.S. car models – a hybrid and later an all-electric crossover called e6 – never caught on with consumers. It intends to resurrect its U.S. car business with a new line of BYD electric and plug-in hybrid passenger cars by 2020.

After its disappointing debut in the U.S., BYD quickly switched gears and decided to use its bus-making capabilities to help gain a foothold. Executives reasoned that customers for commercial vehicles are driven largely by economics and are far less concerned than car shoppers about brand name and status.

Momentum
BYD’s expectation that its trucks will be highly competitive in a few years is not an unreasonable time frame.

Air quality, noise pollution and fuel price volatility concerns have created “global and regional momentum to keep electric momentum going,” said Bill Van Amburg, head of trucking programs forCalStart, the Pasadena-based clean transportation technologies coalition. California is particularly driven to replace diesel trucks with clean-emissions alternative fuel vehicles when possible, he said.

The push for these types of emissions-free vehicles comes from local and state regulators’ concern over air pollution on bus routes and around ports, rail yards and other areas where trucks operate.

“Electric trucks and buses can eliminate tailpipe pollution while offering reduced maintenance and operating costs,” said Don Anair, research director for theUnion of Concerned Scientists’Clean Vehicles program.

more read:
University Of California Irvine Goes Green With 20 BYD Electric Buses

http://www.hybridcars.com/university-of-california-irvine-goes-green-with-20-byd-electric-buses/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom