What's new

BYD: Road to Dominance of Electric Vehicle/Transport

Isuzu electric trucks?

Which models do you have in mind?

Think he meant Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi have a electric version of canter electric truck being test in US, Germany, Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Australia at the moment.

F4-2016-03-08-09-44-500x373.jpg

Fuso_Ecell-2016-03-08-09-42-500x373.jpg

http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/en/press/140711/140711.html

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/motoring/how-fuso-canter-e-cell-electric-truck-could-deliver-future

http://www.tradetrucks.com.au/product-news/1604/fuso-canter-electric-trucks-to-begin-german-trial/

http://www.mitfuso.com/en-US/News/2016/3/All-Electric-E-Cell-Medium-Duty-Truck-Shown-at-NTEA

The Specification of Mitsubishi Canter E-Cell Electric Truck
  • Range : 60mile (100 km) 1st Gen with all accessories, 250 mile (2nd Gen claim)
  • Power : 110 KiloWatts (150bhp)
  • Cargo Capacity : 3.0 Tons 4.4 Meters Tray or Box
  • Vehicle Weight (3.0 tons empty, 6.0 tons full)
  • Speed : 90Km/h (Limited)
  • Charge time : 7 Hours (Full Charge) 1 Hour (Quick Charge)
  • Torque : 475 ft/lbs
  • Country of Origin : Japan/Portugal

Or maybe Isuzu actually did have an electric truck that I don't know about.............??

Electric truck?
That's new to me!

Not really a new idea for Electric truck, the first generation Electric E-Cell canter provided by Mitsubishi Japan in 2010, but it have an appalling range (which if I remember correctly, only 150km range) and lower if you uses at night (because of the light,) rain (Because of the windscreen wiper) and cold/hot day (because of the air conditioner)

It was blasted to hell in 2010 and they went back to the drawing board and come up with an improved range 2nd Generation E-Cell Canter which extended the range to about 350km but it is what claimed, the test variant is still ranged at 100-120 km using the same battery with the 1st generation.

However, What I don't get is why BYD is charging the California Government to build the test prototype? If I remember correctly, Mitsubishi provided the 8 truck free of charge to country and states that wanted to test drive it. It was already in Germany, Portugal and New Jersey, all three were provided with the same vehicle and Mitsubishi paid for all 8 vehicles

Last edited:
I agree. The logo needs an overhaul. Many companies tried new versions along the road until they settle on one; so there is nothing wrong about it.

BYD should seriously consider it.

For FIAT, I should say, the last one is the best looking one.View attachment 310041

BYD logos are basically the same:

BYD-logo-3.jpg

BYD-logo-4.jpg

BYD-logo-5.jpg

BYD-logo-6.jpg

BYD-logo-7.jpg

BYD logo Emblem & Symbol

BYD should just stick with BYD instead of Build Your Dream as thats the current trend. We have BMO in Canada, not bank of Montreal. Also look at RBK, HSBC,CIBC, HSBC, etc. The trend is clear. But yes invest in changing the logo!

I strongly urge dwellers in cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou etc to get your hands on electric number plate(through purchase of an electric car of course) as soon as possible while the subsidies are still meaty.:P

Beijing records highest number of electric car registration

Xinhua, June 12, 2016

Beijing has recorded the highest ever number of requests for electric vehicle (EV) registration in a third round of applications that ended on June 8.

A total of 17,600 individual and company applicants submitted applications for EVs, about 5,000 more than the previous round, according to bjhjyd.gov.cn, which announces Beijing's car quota allocation every two months.

Beijing plans to allow 60,000 new energy vehicles on the road this year, with 25,424 already assigned in the first two rounds. This year's quota will probably be used up in the next round which ends in August, according to the Beijing Times. Unless the quota is increased, new applicants will have to wait until next year.

In Beijing, a license plate lottery system is turning many drivers to electric cars, which receive government subsidies and face no odd-even car ban.

About 90,000 new-energy vehicles were sold in China in the first four months this year, up 131 percent year on year, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers.
what is the price of electric car and buses ? and what are the operation cost per km ?

what is the price of electric car and buses ? and what are the operation cost per km ?
A BYD's newest electric bus is sold 0.8 million dollars overseas....
Some models are cheaper, around half a million dollars.

Initial results from first phase of road trials for 40-ft BYD electric bus in Canada

The first phase of a ten-month trial for a 40-foot BYD battery-electric bus (which commenced the Summer of 2013) was completed in Gatineau, Québec and Ottawa, Ontario in December. (Although the bus drive is zero-emissions, in frigid weather bus-heating was supplemented with a small diesel heater integrated into the bus).

The evaluation, performed by the Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO) in conjunction with AVT (the Société de gestion et d’acquisition de véhicules de transport), found that the average speed of drivers on Gatineau and Ottawa routes was 23 km/h (14 mph), and the resulting distance the BYD bus could travel at this average speed was 250 km (155 miles)—the equivalent of 1.3 kWh/km without air-conditioning and 1.5 kWh/km with air-conditioning, and full passenger loads).

The partial findings were presented at the 2013 EV/VE Conference and Tradeshow in Gatineau-Ottawa by Salah Barj, Director of Planning and Development at STO.

The report findings support BYD claims that the bus is efficient in the use of energy. BYD typically advertises a 250 km (or 155+ mile) operational range for its 40 foot bus. However, BYD claims that when driven by an operator who understands the vehicle and how to optimize regenerative braking, the bus range could well exceed 250 km.

The range is a direct attribute of the sizing of the BYD’s Iron-Phosphate battery. BYD provides the largest battery of any electric bus supplier today with a 324 kWh total energy storage capacity. Further, BYD claims (as shown in the chart above) that when bus average speeds increased up to the maximum speed of 70 km/h (43 mph), that the overall bus efficiencies increased to 0.75 kWh/km traveled (equivalent to 1.2 kWh/mile) and the difference between “with” and “without air conditioning” is lessened.

The battery-electric bus was supplied by BYD Company under a service agreement and continues its evaluations in partnership with the Société de transport de Montreal (STM) until Spring of 2014.

The BYD electric bus was nothing like anything we had seen or tested before, it was able to run our required 8-hour shift in service with only a night-time single charge at our bus garage. BYD’s bus itself has on-board chargers so that only 60 kW of grid AC power was delivered at night to the bus through a power interface. This made for very convenient charging of the electric bus so that no peak-rate power was consumed.

—Salah Barj

AVT was formed by Québec’s nine transit corporations for the evaluating of advanced, zero-emissions public transit technologies. The AVT team acquires buses and manages contracts for companies within the Urban Transit Association of Quebec (ATUQ) which includes: Société de transport de Montreal (STM); Transportation System Capital - Québec (RTC); BC Transit; Translink; Network transport de Longueuil (RTL); Société de transport de Laval (STL); Transit Corporation Levis; Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO); Transportation Company Saguenay (STS); Société de transport de Sherbrooke; andSociété de transport de Trois-Rivières (STTR).

In London
02.jpg

News from India
http://www.byd.cn/BYDEnglish/groupnews/article.jsp?articleId=184805

A BYD's newest electric bus is sold 0.8 million dollars overseas....
Some models are cheaper, around half a million dollars.

Initial results from first phase of road trials for 40-ft BYD electric bus in Canada

The first phase of a ten-month trial for a 40-foot BYD battery-electric bus (which commenced the Summer of 2013) was completed in Gatineau, Québec and Ottawa, Ontario in December. (Although the bus drive is zero-emissions, in frigid weather bus-heating was supplemented with a small diesel heater integrated into the bus).

The evaluation, performed by the Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO) in conjunction with AVT (the Société de gestion et d’acquisition de véhicules de transport), found that the average speed of drivers on Gatineau and Ottawa routes was 23 km/h (14 mph), and the resulting distance the BYD bus could travel at this average speed was 250 km (155 miles)—the equivalent of 1.3 kWh/km without air-conditioning and 1.5 kWh/km with air-conditioning, and full passenger loads).

The partial findings were presented at the 2013 EV/VE Conference and Tradeshow in Gatineau-Ottawa by Salah Barj, Director of Planning and Development at STO.

The report findings support BYD claims that the bus is efficient in the use of energy. BYD typically advertises a 250 km (or 155+ mile) operational range for its 40 foot bus. However, BYD claims that when driven by an operator who understands the vehicle and how to optimize regenerative braking, the bus range could well exceed 250 km.

The range is a direct attribute of the sizing of the BYD’s Iron-Phosphate battery. BYD provides the largest battery of any electric bus supplier today with a 324 kWh total energy storage capacity. Further, BYD claims (as shown in the chart above) that when bus average speeds increased up to the maximum speed of 70 km/h (43 mph), that the overall bus efficiencies increased to 0.75 kWh/km traveled (equivalent to 1.2 kWh/mile) and the difference between “with” and “without air conditioning” is lessened.

The battery-electric bus was supplied by BYD Company under a service agreement and continues its evaluations in partnership with the Société de transport de Montreal (STM) until Spring of 2014.

The BYD electric bus was nothing like anything we had seen or tested before, it was able to run our required 8-hour shift in service with only a night-time single charge at our bus garage. BYD’s bus itself has on-board chargers so that only 60 kW of grid AC power was delivered at night to the bus through a power interface. This made for very convenient charging of the electric bus so that no peak-rate power was consumed.

—Salah Barj

AVT was formed by Québec’s nine transit corporations for the evaluating of advanced, zero-emissions public transit technologies. The AVT team acquires buses and manages contracts for companies within the Urban Transit Association of Quebec (ATUQ) which includes: Société de transport de Montreal (STM); Transportation System Capital - Québec (RTC); BC Transit; Translink; Network transport de Longueuil (RTL); Société de transport de Laval (STL); Transit Corporation Levis; Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO); Transportation Company Saguenay (STS); Société de transport de Sherbrooke; andSociété de transport de Trois-Rivières (STTR).

In London
View attachment 310109

News from India
http://www.byd.cn/BYDEnglish/groupnews/article.jsp?articleId=184805
too much expensive for us :cray:

too much expensive for us :cray:
Israel once bought 700 buses, one only cost 0.3-0.4 million dollars.
I think the more u buy the cheaper one unit will be. (different internal designs also determine the cost)
If the market in South Asia is big enough, it's viable for BYD to build a factory there like the one in US. The long-term fee is cheaper!

Israel once bought 700 buses, one only cost 0.3-0.4 million dollars.
I think the more u buy the cheaper one unit will be. (different internal designs also determine the cost)
If the market in South Asia is big enough, it's viable for BYD to build a factory there like the one in US. The long-term fee is cheaper!

There is big bus producing hub just southeast of Bangalore (where the BYD buses are now operating). I would imagine if the user feedback is great and the economics make sense, we may see a joint venture factory there soon. India for sure needs a huge number of electric buses in coming years.

The price tag is quite steep but the operating cost is extremely low.

Operation cost of 10.8m-long electric buses operated by Pudong Public Transport Co. Ltd in Shanghai for exmaple gets as low as 0.4 yuan(6 US cents) per km.

There is big bus producing hub just southeast of Bangalore (where the BYD buses are now operating). I would imagine if the user feedback is great and the economics make sense, we may see a joint venture factory there soon. India for sure needs a huge number of electric buses in coming years.
I hope BYD continue invest in R&D at a higher level.
Bring better products to the world!
And I hope the BYD factory in my city can be finished at soon as possible, we don't have one single BYD bus yet.
We say no to manufactured-in-Shenzhen bus.
We only prefer to Made-in-Wuhan buses!

The price tag is quite steep but the operating cost is extremely low.

Operation cost of 10.8m-long electric buses operated by Pudong Public Transport Co. Ltd in Shanghai for exmaple gets as low as 0.4 yuan(6 US cents) per km.
Yes, the first purchase costs your bloody hell of money but subsequent maintenance and electricity fee is lower.
On electric bus, Shenzhen is way ahead than any city in China even Shenzhen is already a very clean city compared to other mega-city in the world.

Last edited:
I hope BYD continue invest in R&D at a higher level.
Bring better products to the world!
And I hope the BYD factory in my city can be finished at soon as possible, we don't have one single BYD bus yet.
We say no to manufactured-in-Shenzhen bus.
We only prefer to Made-in-Wuhan buses!

Yes, the first purchase costs your bloody hell of money but subsequent maintenance and electricity fee is lower.
On electric bus, Shenzhen is way ahead than any city in China even Shenzhen is already a very clean city compared to other mega-city in the world.

Fair enough. There is often such inter-regional rivalry/prestige in many countries of the world especially when going through expansion growth....and there is enough spread out demand for products and supply of workers.

Does Wuhan or nearby interior Chinese cities produce any electric buses currently or BYD is going to be the first?

I saw the BYD bus being tested in Ottawa some years back. I think we will be acquiring them shortly for quebec side operations....as will Montreal....because the tests results were very good:

http://www.byd.com/news/news-205.html

Its especially good here because we have a dedicated transitway infrastructure for buses so we can get the best benefit of running it at greater speed (which increases the efficiency in terms of power usage per distance).

More cities like Windsor and others are also lining up so that it becomes more feasible to get a BYD factory opened up in Canada somewhere too is what I read.

Fair enough. There is often such inter-regional rivalry/prestige in many countries of the world especially when going through expansion growth....and there is enough spread out demand for products and supply of workers.

Does Wuhan or nearby interior Chinese cities produce any electric buses currently or BYD is going to be the first?

I saw the BYD bus being tested in Ottawa some years back. I think we will be acquiring them shortly for quebec side operations....as will Montreal....because the tests results were very good.

More cities like Windsor and others are also lining up so that it becomes more feasible to get a BYD factory opened up in Canada somewhere too is what I read.
Hmm, most big cities here have their own brands....
Shanghai has 申沃
Zhengzhou has Yutong
Xiamen/Suzhou has Gold Dragon
Chengdu has Chengdu Bus
。。。
Every bus manufacture has electric bus...
Nearly all has overseas presence.

For example, in Wuhan we have our own Dongfeng bus, partially owned by the city government.
It has presence in 80+ domestic cities and a couple of developing countries like Thailand and Peru. Not so good compared to Gold Dragon, BYD and Yutong of course.

So, before BYD Wuhan is ready, we will prioritise purchase from Dongfeng.
We need some competition here, otherwise Dongfeng Bus will never get better.
5t43.jpg
22.jpg
12.jpg
222212.jpg

I saw the BYD bus being tested in Ottawa some years back. I think we will be acquiring them shortly for quebec side operations....as will Montreal....because the tests results were very good:

http://www.byd.com/news/news-205.html

Its especially good here because we have a dedicated transitway infrastructure for buses so we can get the best benefit of running it at greater speed (which increases the efficiency in terms of power usage per distance).

I think Canada just need to buy BYD from BYD America?
They are basically the same country to me.:D

Last edited:
I think Canada just need to buy BYD from BYD America?
They are basically the same country to me.

I dunno, Canada wants jobs badly these days. The Windsor mayor (Windsor is right next to Detroit so it has a vehicle manufacturing history) was saying he will be doing some kind of meetings with other officials all across Canada and put in a large total projected requirement to BYD so that they will set up a factory in Windsor and that will help Windsor's economy. I don't know what the details are, I read it somewhere some time ago in the newspaper.

I dunno, Canada wants jobs badly these days. The Windsor mayor (Windsor is right next to Detroit so it has a vehicle manufacturing history) was saying he will be doing some kind of meetings with other officials all across Canada and put in a large total projected requirement to BYD so that they will set up a factory in Windsor and that will help Windsor's economy. I don't know what the details are, I read it somewhere some time ago in the newspaper.
The question is I think Canadian market is not big, byd has presence in US that is potentially for the entire North America. It is more advisable to build a branch in Brazil for South America. Unless Canada has a very strong desire to replace most conventional buses and at the same time only locally manufactured buses are allowed into the market. BYD can have multiple factories in China for the same reason, to break through very strong regional protectionism and any provincial market is big enough. We have 60 million people in my province and public buses are more important than in Canada (I guess?). CRRC's one subsidiary even builds a subway base in my city in competition with another subsidiary of CRRC, for the current 100km(180km by Dec 2016) future 800km-1000km+ subway! We also have several hundred bus lines in the city, most of which have a frequency every 5-10min. We need several thousand electric buses here, and thousands of in the province.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom