What's new

Burma and North East India theater

Right now, Bangladesh is creating more headache for India than Myanmar. Majority of your countrymen are not interested in booming trade with India. India's every trade deal with Bangladesh turned into a drama in Bangladesh. I think many in your country too dream about Greater Bangladesh.

It is our interest that is counting with Myanmar and there is nothing called blinding believing in Myanmar. But Bangladeshis are far more emotional than Myanmarese.

Yes, people sometimes say of Greater Bengal in the country. But, here do you really think we the BD posters represent any large segment of our society? We defend our country from the continuous onslaught, bullying and bashing by the Indian posters here in this forum, that's all.

However, Some people in BD are wary of India because they feel it is trying to encircle us and trying to coerce us with a larger body mass and a larger wealth accompanied by a military muscle. However, people's wariness will go away once the political power changes hands.

I think, democracy is a good thing for BD. Let there be many more political ups and downs and let new leadership comes about. This new generation leadership will more change our future. But, I do not see any symptoms yet. Emotion sometimes is a good recharger for a nation which is void of other resources to protect itself from a real or an imaginary enemy.

Just google it.

I got this back :what:

West Bengal belongs to Greater Bangladesh
Indian states of West Bengal and Assam, both belong to Greater Bangladesh & we will take both these states from Terrorist India, the same way, as we got our Bangladesh from the tyrannical rule Pakistan. This is our "Brave Bangla" promise to the Fascist India, which is the land of Hindu terrorists and Hindu blackmailers

Greater Bangladesh « West Bengal belongs to Greater Bangladesh

Is that their greater bangladesh dream?

You can take out one person from 160 Million bangladeshis... kallu miah is sitting in the great Satan USA :devil:.. when the push comes to shove- you wont find him anywhere... :D

Here's a fun fact, 15 times more Bangladeshis die in dhaka Road accidents than the so called "insurgency" in the North East. Insurgency in the north east is on its death bed.

If Bangladeshis want to get culled, then I d say bring it on! Using Kalu_Miah's logic, don't forget there 1.2 Billion of us as opposed to 160 Million little Bangladeshis:lol:

I d suggest you lots go get yourself checked out at doctors, getting way too many wet dreams these days:lol:

Yes, people sometimes say of Greater Bengal in the country. But, here do you really think we the BD posters represent any large segment of our society? We defend our country from the continuous onslaught, bullying and bashing by the Indian posters here in this forum, that's all.

However, Some people in BD are wary of India because they feel it is trying to encircle us and trying to coerce us with a larger body mass and a larger wealth accompanied by a military muscle. However, people's wariness will go away once the political power changes hands.

I think, democracy is a good thing for BD. Let there be many more political ups and downs and let new leadership comes about. This new generation leadership will more change our future. But, I do not see any symptoms yet. Emotion sometimes is a good recharger for a nation which is void of other resources to protect itself from a real or an imaginary enemy.

Yes, I know that not everyone is opposed to trade relations with India. But at the moment Myanmar is creating least hurdles for trade deal, transit or investment, so automatically we are having more tilt towards them.

But I have read at many places that Bangladesh has started to feel about competitiveness from Myanmar, hope that will change the views of many.

I don't know if its true but I read at some places Bangladesh agreed for transit route to India only because Myanmar opened Sittwe for India which gave Bangladesh a feeling of competition.

Burma would be an attractive destination for RMG sourcing. Obviously, Bangladesh cannot leverage on its RMG sector forever.

I don't think BD is a problem. Once BD becomes more and more successful and get rid of their relly poor level politics by all parties involved, BD people in general will also become more settled in their identity, role and place in the world. That time India will also treat BD with more seriousness automatically.

I've seen India go through that transition and hope to see BD truly rise up one day. It will be good for the entire region.

I don't think BD is a problem. Once BD becomes more and more successful and get rid of their relly poor level politics by all parties involved, BD people in general will also become more settled in their identity, role and place in the world. That time India will also treat BD with more seriousness automatically.

I've seen India go through that transition and hope to see BD truly rise up one day. It will be good for the entire region.

Yes, it will take time for BD. At least 15-20 years by estimates.

Especially with all the dirtbags in charge of politics in Bangladesh at the moment.

Insurgency in Northeast India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

map_india_northeast.jpg

Ethnic-Map-Northeast-India.jpg

Maoists spreading to North-East, warns home ministry - Rediff.com India News

Home ministry's latest worry: Maoist influx into North-East
February 23, 2012 11:17 IST
this Ask
Users Write a
Comment Print this
article
The Union home ministry has warned that the incursion of Communist Party of India-Marxist cadres into Assam and Arunachal Pradesh has "serious strategic implications".

The ministry's naxal management division has revealed the worry in its updated section on FAQs over Maoism. This follows recent reports about Maoist presence in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has in fact gone to the extent of claiming that Pakistan's external intelligence agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence, was helping Maoists in the state. "The Maoists are spreading in Assam. The ISI has also joined hands with them," Gogoi told journalists after a meeting with Home Minister P Chidambaram earlier this week.

Assam Director General of Police JN Choudhury has also supported his chief minister's claim.

"We have reports of Maoist activities from seven Upper Assam districts so far, including Golaghat, Sibsagar, Tinsukia, Lakhimpur and Dibrugarh," the DGP added.

The new worry apart, the home ministry says the states of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Bihar "are considered severely affected", while West Bengal [ Images ] and Maharashtra [ Images ] are considered "partially affected". Uttar Pradesh [ Images ] and Madhya Pradesh [ Images ] are considered "slightly affected". There has been "a major improvement" in Andhra Pradesh, which was considered severely affected earlier, while "some CPI-Maoist armed cadres exist in Karnataka [ Images ]".

The home ministry has also revealed that the CPI-Maoist has "close fraternal ties" with many North-East insurgent groups, especially the RPF/PLA of Manipur. Most of these outfits have linkages with external forces inimical to India [ Images ]. The CPI-Maoist has also frequently expressed its solidarity with the Jammu and Kashmir [ Images ] terrorist groups. These ties are part of their 'strategic united front' against the Indian State. The CPI-Maoist also has close links with Maoist organisations in Philippines, Turkey, etc, and the outfit is also a member of the "Coordination Committee of Maoist Parties and Organizations of South Asia, which includes Nepalese Maoists".

According to the home ministry figures, over 450 civilians have been killed every year in Maoist violence since 2007, with the year 2010 recording as many as 720 civilian deaths. Apart from state police forces, 74 battalions (each comprising on an average 1,000 men) of central armed police forces like the Central Reserve Police Force, Border Security Force and the Indo Tibetan Border Police are deployed in Maoist-affected areas or, in the home ministry's words, "LWE (left wing extremism)-affected states".

The ministry, in its updated information on its web site, has also tried to bust the myth of Operation Greenhunt, which had gained currency in the media's discourse during 2010-11. "The phrase 'Operation Greenhunt' does not exist in any record of the ministry of home affairs. In fact, there is no such operation at all, for the simple reason that the MHA does not plan or execute operations. Law and order being a state subject, all anti-naxal operations are planned by the state forces and are assisted by the central forces."

The phrase 'Operation Greenhunt', it seems, was used for a local operation in Bastar range in Chhattisgarh. The operation was aimed at busting naxal dens in Bastar forests, and functioned from green camouflage tents. But the Maoist propagandists and front organisations, in a masterstroke of a strategy, attributed it ad nauseam to the central government, conjuring up visions of hapless adivasis being targeted by the government machinery. It needs to be recognised that this propaganda was played out very skilfully, so much so that many in the mainstream media also believe there is a 'Operation Greenhunt' on, the ministry points out.

Meanwhile, the Union home ministry is coming up with a uniform and harmonised standard operating procedure on issues relating to human rights in anti-Maosit operations in consultation with LWE-affected states soon. A uniform surrender and rehabilitation policy for Maoists is also being worked out in consultation with the states and the reward money for Maoists who surrender with weapons is being increased. The process of consultation on these issues is set to start soon. A decision to have a uniform policy has been accepted by all LWE affected states, home ministry sources have said.

RS Chauhan in New Delhi

Burma would be an attractive destination for RMG sourcing. Obviously, Bangladesh cannot leverage on its RMG sector forever.

What really annoys me is that even when Myanmar has been under military rule for almost 50 years, we still cannot compete with Bangladeshi wages in the race to the bottom. Even more annoying is that when the RMG sector was starting to take off in the mid 90's in Myanmar, all the do gooders who live in the comfort of the West and also Aung San Suu Kyi, called for boycotts of all companies that did business in Myanmar. That achieved nothing but to put a bunch of people (women in particular) out of work and pushed the Burmese economy closer towards China reliance. It's important now that we are starting from a clean slate to prioritise a diversified economy and not just a sweat shop economy. As I said before, literacy rates in Myanmar are higher and that should be something to focus on. My opinion is that we should be prioritising food production and food processing. We have the resources to become one of the bread baskets of Asia.

Indian dudes, you have to note that if some Bangladeshis are guilty of proposing a separation of NE from India, Myanmar itself is equally or more guilty on that count. Alauphangya is avoiding to tell you guys that in 1780s Mynamar invaded the NE, killed and maimed many thousnds of people by burning them alive and in boiling oil, or by some other means that can inflict a maximum pain in a human body such as cutting off limbs. These savage Burmans did it to make the NE population so frightened so that they do not rise against them.

NE was invaded only because the Burmans thought that the vacuume created in Bengal due to the taking over of the political power by the usurper British will not allow the British Bengal Presidency to repulse an attack on the NE. However, finally British expelled the barbarian Burmans from the NE, Bumans invded Arakan and moved to Ramu, a point near Cox's bazaar, in order to dissipate the British Indian troops. But, the British Indian navy went behind the Burman line in Ramu and encircled Rangoon. Burmans lost out and the entire country went under British feet sometime in 1826.

Burmans are not supposed to forget that insult. They are still waiting for a day when the NE apple will rot and drop on their lap. This is why these Burmans have been giving clandestine support to the Naga and other rebels even now. This three-way tug of war for control of NE will continue among the cotestants for a long time.

Bangladesh is the best neighbour India can expect to have because it is no more involved in giving any tangible support, only China and Burma are contesting with India for the entire area or a part of it. India must be careful about Burma, too. However, I must add Bangladesh govt does not really control the affairs of NE mujahids. So, it can also be said there is a 4-way tugs in the NE.

Firstly, Manipur and Assam were only targeted by the kings of Burma when they realised that Thailand and Yunnan were not feasible targets. Secondly, in one of my earliest posts here, I already said how I regretted the acts of brutality commited in the name of imperialism on all our neighbours. Thirdly, if you truly believe that the current government give a damn about reclaiming impoverished NE India then you are delusional. We have enough trouble with ethnics already, why would we want to compound that problem?

Isn't the Bangla army dressing up like Indian army to please us? I think they are there to do our job. All the rabid Jamati Bang boys can bang their head against the wall.

What really annoys me is that even when Myanmar has been under military rule for almost 50 years, we still cannot compete with Bangladeshi wages in the race to the bottom. Even more annoying is that when the RMG sector was starting to take off in the mid 90's in Myanmar, all the do gooders who live in the comfort of the West and also Aung San Suu Kyi, called for boycotts of all companies that did business in Myanmar. That achieved nothing but to put a bunch of people (women in particular) out of work and pushed the Burmese economy closer towards China reliance. It's important now that we are starting from a clean slate to prioritise a diversified economy and not just a sweat shop economy. As I said before, literacy rates in Myanmar are higher and that should be something to focus on. My opinion is that we should be prioritising food production and food processing. We have the resources to become one of the bread baskets of Asia.

Indeed, agriculture is a great sector. Food will always be on demand no matter what. Since Myanmar has a lot of gas reserves, it should also exploit that.

As far as RMG is concerned, Bangladesh is currently the second largest exporter after China. Although, I do not think it'll be that way forever, or even be at number 1.

Apparently, Afghanistan is also beginning to enter the industry and doing pretty well. Who knows? There's Pakistan and India as well (our two key suppliers of cotton).

China is becoming increasingly too expensive to make basic stuff like RMGs. And it'll only keep going up until the Western World starts to order from cheaper sources. And I believe there will be a lot of competition in the future.

Thailand's RMG and shoe manufacturing sector is pretty much a dead horse as far as exports go. But it has a diversified economy, especially those that are industry related.

Bangladesh should aim for that, just like any developing nation. No one can leverage on the RMG sector or any one sector alone. It has to diversify. Bangladesh is placing too much emphasis on the RMG sector, and not enough on others like information technology.

Isn't the Bangla army dressing up like Indian army to please us? I think they are there to do our job. All the rabid Jamati Bang boys can bang their head against the wall.

I was thinking they'd dress up like storms-troopers to please Darth Vader :confused: Where ever he is....

^^^ I thought IT, Shipbuilding and Pharmaceuticals were the targeted growth sectors this decade?

The thing about that is it's not always a matter of where the cheapest stuff is. Lot's of other things are put into consideration when choosing a country to source your production. Things like infrastructure, political stability, skill levels of employess etc. That's why it'll be another 20 atleast before China starts to spin off its manufacturing industries. For BD, its main rivals in the manufacturing stakes in Asia are Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines.

Northeast: A Thousand Assertive Ethnicities » Manipur - KanglaOnline.com

Hard Choices Ahead

India’s powerful regional diplomacy in recent years, that forced Bhutan and Bangladesh to act against its rebel groups of Northeast India, is now focussed on getting Burma’s new government to act against the rebel bases in the Sagaing-Kachin region, which is surely the last big sanctuary of the Northeastern rebel groups. It is too early to say whether the Burmese will act, though it is for sure that after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Burma, the pressure will rise manifold. The choice before the rebel groups is therefore clear. They have three options — joining a dialogue with India, seeking and getting Chinese support and sanctuary, or returning to fight within their own state like the Maoists do and risk military and political annihilation. For the last captains of the Northeastern rebellions, there is not much time before they have to make a difficult choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom