What's new

Bulgaria revises fighter tender criteria

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1639460_-_main.jpg

Bulgaria is looking increasingly likely to select a used aircraft to replace its ageing MiG-29s, after local reports that the tender criteria have been rewritten. Source: US Air Force
Bulgaria has revised its tender for the replacement of its ageing MiG-29 'Fulcrum' fighters in favour of second-hand aircraft, the local SEGA newspaper reported 14 October, quoting anonymous Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources.

In the Bulgarian Air Force's (BuAF's) original tender evaluation criteria, 25% of the weighting was attributed to "expected shelf life". However, in a new amendment proposed by the Institute of Defence (IoD), this criterion is downgraded to only a 5% weighting, according to SEGA . As a result the eventual winner of the tender is expected to be a used platform.

The main contenders to supply aircraft to the BuAF are Israel, Portugal, and the United States (all offering used Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons), Italy (second-hand Eurofighter Typhoons), and Sweden (new Gripens).

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(149 of 162 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/64688/bulgaria-revises-fighter-tender-criteria

1639460_-_main.jpg

Bulgaria is looking increasingly likely to select a used aircraft to replace its ageing MiG-29s, after local reports that the tender criteria have been rewritten. Source: US Air Force
Bulgaria has revised its tender for the replacement of its ageing MiG-29 'Fulcrum' fighters in favour of second-hand aircraft, the local SEGA newspaper reported 14 October, quoting anonymous Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources.

In the Bulgarian Air Force's (BuAF's) original tender evaluation criteria, 25% of the weighting was attributed to "expected shelf life". However, in a new amendment proposed by the Institute of Defence (IoD), this criterion is downgraded to only a 5% weighting, according to SEGA . As a result the eventual winner of the tender is expected to be a used platform.

The main contenders to supply aircraft to the BuAF are Israel, Portugal, and the United States (all offering used Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons), Italy (second-hand Eurofighter Typhoons), and Sweden (new Gripens).

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login
(149 of 162 words)

http://www.janes.com/article/64688/bulgaria-revises-fighter-tender-criteria

Depending on when they buy, Sweden could sell used Gripens as well.
This assumes current Gripen C are not cannibalized to build Gripen E.

Something tells me that in the end they'll just scrap their airforce altogether and NATO will be doing air policing just like in the Baltics.

Something tells me that in the end they'll just scrap their airforce altogether and NATO will be doing air policing just like in the Baltics.
Problem is they got boycotted by russia after they let polish companies do maintenaice on mig29, notably engines. The czech and hungarians lease gripens i believe ?

Problem is they got boycotted by russia after they let polish companies do maintenaice on mig29, notably engines. The czech and hungarians lease gripens i believe ?
I think ex-US F-16s

Back
Top Bottom