What's new

Buddhist assembly held to remember Nanjing Massacre victims

aimarraul

Reaction score
Buddhist assembly held to remember Nanjing Massacre victims
English.news.cn 2010-12-13 12:53:20 FeedbackPrintRSS

NANJING, Dec. 13 (Xinhua) -- Buddhist monks from China and Japan held a religious assembly Monday in Nanjing, capital of east China's Jiangsu Province, to remember the victims of the Nanjing Massacre.

Participants in the ceremony at the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre included 15 monks from six Buddhist temples in Japan and more than 50 monks and Buddhist believers from China.

Thirty Massacre survivors and relatives of victims also attended.

The monks chanted Buddhist scriptures of mourning and prayed for peace.

Aori Take Shuna, abbot of Japan's Reiunti Temple, read a poem he wrote to honor the dead and prayed for long-term friendship between the peoples of China and Japan.

Yamauchi Sayoko, who was a representative of a sect of Japanese Buddhism, said at the assembly that the people of Japan, which invaded and occupied China in the 1930s and 1940s, were deeply regretful for the victims of the war and sincerely hoped such a tragedy would never be repeated.

Monday was the 73rd anniversary of the Nanjing Massacre.

She Ziqing, a 78-year-old survivor who attended the ceremony, said, "On the anniversary each year, I miss my family, who were cruelly murdered by Japanese invaders. I hope all Massacre victims can rest in peace."

Japanese troops occupied Nanjing on Dec. 13, 1937, and launched a six-week massacre. Chinese records show more than 300,000 people -- not only disarmed soldiers but also civilians -- were killed.

On Sunday, work began to extend a memorial wall at the Memorial Hall of the Victims of the Nanjing Massacre on which names of those killed are engraved.

After the extension, the wall would have 10,324 names, said Zhu Chengshan, curator of the Memorial Hall.

The wall was engraved with 3,000 names when it was first built in 1995, and the list was expanded to more than 8,600 names in 2007.

Collecting the names of the victims was an important job in researching the Massacre, but it was difficult to find witnesses and documents decades later, Zhu said.

13646204_171n.jpg

13646204_181n.jpg

13646204_201n.jpg

126133482.jpg

Back
Top Bottom