What's new

British report reveals Israel’s arms exports to Pakistan

What restrictions are imposed on military sales to Pakistan? There are none these days as far as I am aware.

There are no restriction on equipment solely manufactured by Israel.
There are MANY restrictions on LOTS of equipment for purchase by Pakistan due to the fact that you guys exist.

There are no restriction on equipment solely manufactured by Israel.
There are MANY restrictions on LOTS of equipment for purchase by Pakistan due to the fact that you guys exist.

Can you expand/clarify?

What restrictions are imposed on military sales to Pakistan? There are none these days as far as I am aware.

are you serious?

this is why maybe pakistan is importing from israel in the first place, or why would pakistan buy the same equipment at more costly price from israel than the original retailer?

Can you imagine the backlash the Mullah's over here would have?
Streets, Shops, Businessmen, Girl's schools.. McDonalds and KFC's would burn sky high.

you forgot pizza hut

are you serious?

this is why maybe pakistan is importing from israel in the first place, or why would pakistan buy the same equipment at more costly price from israel than the original retailer?
AFAIK there are no formal restrictions/sanctions on military sales to Pakistan from any nation.

F16s from the US? If Pakistan had the $$$ then the US would sell them to Pakistan- no problem!

i dont think so, the previous air chief which sold those to pakistan had to face harsh criticism

Can you expand/clarify?

The equipment we purchase from countries like the US and UK goes through a balance check so that it does NOT exceed the technology that India possesses or tilts the current imbalance in anyway.

Pre-2005.. there were much more different sorts of equipment we were looking for, but everywhere we knocked.. it was simply.. "we cant risk altering our relations with India due to the sophistication of the equipment"..

F16s from the US? If Pakistan had the $$$ then the US would sell them to Pakistan- no problem!

Please refer above.. incorrect assumption.

i dont think so, the previous air chief which sold those to pakistan had to face harsh criticism

But officially Pakistan is not under an arms embargo/sanctions. So depending on the mood in the US such sales are possible in theory. And I think that the issues in the past were due to the sales being effectively military aid. If Pakistan paid for the products 100% then I can't see any US administration turning down such offers without inviting significant heat from their electorate who are crying out for jobs.

good i wish we buy from them phalcon and install it on PAF il-78s

LOL, I posted this yesterday and was accused of spreading false and non credible reports and my thread was closed, may I ask Mod, please reopen my thread. Because, I intended it to discuss the Arab countries in it, not so much about Pakistan.

The equipment we purchase from countries like the US and UK goes through a balance check so that it does NOT exceed the technology that India possesses or tilts the current imbalance in anyway.

Pre-2005.. there were much more different sorts of equipment we were looking for, but everywhere we knocked.. it was simply.. "we cant risk altering our relations with India due to the sophistication of the equipment"..

I am aware the US (and most Western nations) make such assessments as policy. However this seems to be purely one-sided as the US has no issue selling AESA equipped F-16IN (BLK.70+) or F-18IN, P-8I, AH-64E etc, or the Europeans selling Rafales, EFT, long range BVR, CMs etc etc to India. How is this not affecting the balance of power in the region?

Surely it comes down to the dollars at the end of it. India just has more.
Please refer above.. incorrect assumption.
But talking about F-16s specifically- unless it was the BLK.70+, I don't see a F-16 sale to Pakistan upsetting India too much or altering the power balance of the region one iota.

I am aware the US (and most Western nations) make such assessments as policy. However this seems to be purely one-sided as the US has no issue selling AESA equipped F-16IN (BLK.70+) or F-18IN, P-8I etc, or the Europeans selling Rafales, EFT, long range BVR, CMs etc etc to India. How is this not affecting the balance of power in the region?

Surely it comes down to the dollars at the end of it. India just has more.

But talking about F-16s specifically- unless it was the BLK.70+, I don't see a F-16 sale to Pakistan upsetting India too much or altering the power balance of the region one iota.

It is one sided, and it is deemed fit to keep the Balance of power tilted overly in India's favor..
Perhaps a more sinister reason could be to ensure that the Nuclear threshold for Pakistan remains low..and hence fear of that threshold and vice versa prevents future conflicts.
It also means the balance of power vis-a-vis China is also to be maintained as India is the new Sheriff honorary for the region.

As for the F-16's.. considering the headache that had to be gone through to get DRFM approved.. I dont think you have an appreciation for the hurdles Pakistan faces in getting defense equipment.

It is one sided, and it is deemed fit to keep the Balance of power tilted overly in India's favor..
Perhaps a more sinister reason could be to ensure that the Nuclear threshold for Pakistan remains low..and hence fear of that threshold and vice versa prevents future conflicts.
It also means the balance of power vis-a-vis China is also to be maintained as India is the new Sheriff honorary for the region.

As for the F-16's.. considering the headache that had to be gone through to get DRFM approved.. I dont think you have an appreciation for the hurdles Pakistan faces in getting defense equipment.
@Oscar sir- you are right, I do not have much of any idea of the hurdles Pakistan faces in getting such equipment other than finical really. Maybe you could share a little more on this topic?

And- fair enough, wrt F-16s.

But are you not underestimating the greed of these nations a little @Oscar. Putting aside any grandiose conspiracy theories of artificially elevating India to the region's law-keeper/sheriff of the region- as they say "The dollar is king". Faced with looming defence budget cuts and stagnating economies the West has to look elsewhere and where better than Asia- that has just overtaken Europe in collective annual expenditure on defence, with India and China leading the charge? China is obviously closed to them so India- the world's largest arms importer, is a golden market surely? Where Pakistan can only offer purchases through soft loans but really desires military aid, India pays for all its deals.

If India was in the kind of economic peril Pakistan and Pakistan was flush with cash, I'm pretty sure the West would be doing plenty of business with Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom