What's new

British Comedian John Oliver Describes the Indian Election and Nails It

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
British Comedian John Oliver Describes the Indian Election and Nails It

rahul_gandhi_vs_narendra_modi_1398750474_540x540.jpg

We nearly fell off our chair watching this one. The Indian media is fighting for perspective in this general election and who can blame them, when all our politicians can talk about is caste, religion, misogyny and mud-slinging. So, it finally took a British comedian/satirist of an American show to show us the mirror. And how ridiculous our political discourse looks (don't get offended, he has made a career out of lampooning the American media for their election coverage).

John Oliver (previously of the brilliant The Daily Show with Jon Stewart) debuted his new show for HBO, “Last Week with John Oliver” and completely nailed the description of the Indian Elections. Imagine if a clueless foreigner was being given a class on our dance of democracy; only thing is that foreigner is damn funny.

From describing Rahul Gandhi as super handsome, to showing amazement at Narendra Modi’s 3D speeches, this segment has it all. But he does save the best for last. Comparing Indian media’s election coverage to that of America’s shrill toned Fox Network’s and under researched CNN’s, Oliver drives home the point.

See the video below.

Link - Lok Sabha Elections 2014: British Comedian John Oliver Describes the Indian Election and Nails It | India | www.indiatimes.com

And dont forget to read the BBC Version - BBC News - Indian election spoofs get voters laughing

Typical anti-Modi piece from Westerners. The riots in his state were started when Muslim terrorists burned a train full of Hindus. The courts have found Modi innocent. If Modi is "responsible" for Muslims dying in riots, are Obama and Bush and Blair responsible for the killings of thousands of Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan?

These westerners are so much interested in an election conducted in a third world country .:D

John Oliver is a pretty talented guy. I used to love he and Aasif Mandvi were my favorite correspondents on the daily show.
Daily show seems like the mine from which many great comedians start their career. Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert and now John Oliver.
I wish these guys cover Indian elections a bit more.

Haha, that was hilarious, thanks for sharing!

Indian elections are really important for the Globe, be it half :P

John Oliver is awesome.

Loved his body of work in the Daily show.

John Stewart is amazing too.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to show us the insanity that we have been normalised to and de-sensitised to.

That guy is actually mocking the US media for not covering the elections here enough

The comments underneath were scary though. Talk about getting a sense of humor though.

Don't feel bad. I don't think they cover the elections of any country here.
Let's see..Canada to our north...nope. Mexico to our south...nope.

I think the only one may be the UK...like once in a while.

The only reason I remember the name of the Canadian PM is because there is a magazine with the same name and the Mexican President sounds like the Russian word for "no".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom