What's new

Britain's biggest warship uncovered

Quite so, of course. But to get to the point to along the lines I was talking about, its much easier landing a Harrier than it is an F-18 on a carrier, in any condition. Which is why conventional carriers wouldn't have been much use to the RN during The Falklands, very bad weather conditions.

Isn't that more about aircraft than carriers? If you have harriers on US type aircraft carriers you can still carry more of them.

Isn't that more about aircraft than carriers? If you have harriers on US type aircraft carriers you can still carry more of them.

Exactly. Furthermore, landing harriers in a crosswind vertically is really hard as well. Probably harder than landing F-18's in a crosswind. Pitching deck might be different, I don't know any harrier drivers personally so I can't confirm.
On a related note:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, by the likes of Commander 'Sharky' Wards' comments, I'm assuming he's saying that the likes of the Invincible class carriers ride the waves better, if you like, than the likes of the 100.000 ton carriers the US operate, but I'm also assuming he's saying the Harrier can handle wosre weather conditions when taking off and landing, so, I'm no expert in that feild so I'll take it from an expert that knows his stuff.

But if you had Harriers on carriers the size of the US types, well that'd quite an interesting debate to have.

Exactly. Furthermore, landing harriers in a crosswind vertically is really hard as well. Probably harder than landing F-18's in a crosswind. Pitching deck might be different, I don't know any harrier drivers personally so I can't confirm.
I don't know any, nor do I RAF pilots (even though was/is linked to the RAF Regiment) so I can't really confirm neither. But anyway, like I said above.

Interesting video btw, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom