What's new

Bring the stranded Pakistanis home

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
Every year December 16 reminds us of a black and sad day in the history of Pakistan. On that day, Pakistan was split in two, losing its eastern half. The purpose here is not to go into the history of the said episode, for which there are many narratives, depending on who the narrator is.
I last visited Dhaka on January 5, 1971, as I had to attend an official meeting of the Equity Participation Fund at Rajshahi. I left Dhaka for the last time and two of my Bengali colleagues, AKN Ahmed, Deputy Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan, and Nurul Mahin, Managing Director of the Equity Participation Fund, came to see me off. Instead of the usual handshake and the farewell, they both embraced me. Our eyes brimmed into tears as we realised what was to come (it may be recalled that Sheikh Mujibur Rehman had addressed a huge crowd in Paltan Maidan after his thumping electoral victory). I have since never been to East Pakistan — now Bangladesh.
My main interest here is to bring to the attention of Pakistani political leaders the presence of around 300,000 Pakistanis stranded in five refugee camps in Bangladesh, the biggest one being in Dhaka. For 41 years, two or three generations of these unfortunate individuals (often callously referred to as Biharis) have been living a life of misery, malnutrition and in appalling unhygienic conditions. They are waiting for some caring and conscientious government to help them come over to Pakistan. In the past, just about every head of government made a promise to bring them to Pakistan but never came good on it.
Here is a brief list of such promises: 1) In the Simla Agreement of 1972, it was agreed that the (besieged) stranded Pakistanis will be repatriated to Pakistan from the former East Pakistan. 2) In 1978, chief martial law administrator General Ziaul Haq met a delegation, led by the mayor of Karachi, and assured it that the ‘stranded Biharis’ will be soon brought to Pakistan. 3) The Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami launched a fund collection for repatriation of the stranded Pakistanis in 1988 and reportedly collected millions of dollars for this purpose. In March 1994, the Pakistani High Commission in Dhaka even released a list it had complied of the stranded persons awaiting repatriation. 4) On November 12, 1991, the Government of Pakistan announced that the process of repatriation ‘would be expedited’. 5) On August 11, 1992, at the end of Begum Khalida Zia’s visit to Pakistan, it was announced that stranded Pakistanis will be airlifted to Pakistan.
These assurances were later repeated by Mian Nawaz Sharif and the then Bangladeshi prime minister in August 1992; Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto who, as prime minister, gave an assurance to a similar effect in December 1994; the prime ministers of both Pakistan and Bangladesh on April 25, 1995; Pakistan’s foreign secretary, Najamuddin Sheikh, on August 8, 1996; Nawaz Sharif, again, when he became prime minister a second time, on March 25, 1999; and General Pervez Musharraf during a visit to Bangladesh on August 30, 2002.
In fact, about 50,000 of these refugees were eventually brought to Pakistan with the help of the Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami and were settled in Punjab, thanks in large part to the province’s then chief minister, the late Ghulam Haider Wyne.
Since then, it has been all promises and no action. Recently, an excuse was made that they couldn’t be repatriated anymore since they now had Bangladeshi citizenship. This is not correct and only children born in the camps will, if at all, be eligible for this.
The thousands of people still stranded in Bangladesh and yearning to come to Pakistan have been consistently urging Pakistan’s political leaders to recognise that the country has a moral and legal duty to bring them to Pakistan, since that is what they chose in 1971. A close parallel, in my view, of these stranded Pakistanis can be drawn with Palestinians since the latter are also living away from their homeland and more or less like refugees.
Published in The Express Tribune, December 20th, 2012.

Bring the stranded Pakistanis home – The Express Tribune

Whom among the government of Pakistan are responsible for them?

Every year December 16 reminds us of a black and sad day in the history of Pakistan. On that day, Pakistan was split in two, losing its eastern half. The purpose here is not to go into the history of the said episode, for which there are many narratives, depending on who the narrator is.
I last visited Dhaka on January 5, 1971, as I had to attend an official meeting of the Equity Participation Fund at Rajshahi. I left Dhaka for the last time and two of my Bengali colleagues, AKN Ahmed, Deputy Governor of the State Bank of Pakistan, and Nurul Mahin, Managing Director of the Equity Participation Fund, came to see me off. Instead of the usual handshake and the farewell, they both embraced me. Our eyes brimmed into tears as we realised what was to come (it may be recalled that Sheikh Mujibur Rehman had addressed a huge crowd in Paltan Maidan after his thumping electoral victory). I have since never been to East Pakistan — now Bangladesh.
My main interest here is to bring to the attention of Pakistani political leaders the presence of around 300,000 Pakistanis stranded in five refugee camps in Bangladesh, the biggest one being in Dhaka. For 41 years, two or three generations of these unfortunate individuals (often callously referred to as Biharis) have been living a life of misery, malnutrition and in appalling unhygienic conditions. They are waiting for some caring and conscientious government to help them come over to Pakistan. In the past, just about every head of government made a promise to bring them to Pakistan but never came good on it.
Here is a brief list of such promises: 1) In the Simla Agreement of 1972, it was agreed that the (besieged) stranded Pakistanis will be repatriated to Pakistan from the former East Pakistan. 2) In 1978, chief martial law administrator General Ziaul Haq met a delegation, led by the mayor of Karachi, and assured it that the ‘stranded Biharis’ will be soon brought to Pakistan. 3) The Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami launched a fund collection for repatriation of the stranded Pakistanis in 1988 and reportedly collected millions of dollars for this purpose. In March 1994, the Pakistani High Commission in Dhaka even released a list it had complied of the stranded persons awaiting repatriation. 4) On November 12, 1991, the Government of Pakistan announced that the process of repatriation ‘would be expedited’. 5) On August 11, 1992, at the end of Begum Khalida Zia’s visit to Pakistan, it was announced that stranded Pakistanis will be airlifted to Pakistan.
These assurances were later repeated by Mian Nawaz Sharif and the then Bangladeshi prime minister in August 1992; Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto who, as prime minister, gave an assurance to a similar effect in December 1994; the prime ministers of both Pakistan and Bangladesh on April 25, 1995; Pakistan’s foreign secretary, Najamuddin Sheikh, on August 8, 1996; Nawaz Sharif, again, when he became prime minister a second time, on March 25, 1999; and General Pervez Musharraf during a visit to Bangladesh on August 30, 2002.
In fact, about 50,000 of these refugees were eventually brought to Pakistan with the help of the Motamar Al-Alam Al-Islami and were settled in Punjab, thanks in large part to the province’s then chief minister, the late Ghulam Haider Wyne.
Since then, it has been all promises and no action. Recently, an excuse was made that they couldn’t be repatriated anymore since they now had Bangladeshi citizenship. This is not correct and only children born in the camps will, if at all, be eligible for this.
The thousands of people still stranded in Bangladesh and yearning to come to Pakistan have been consistently urging Pakistan’s political leaders to recognise that the country has a moral and legal duty to bring them to Pakistan, since that is what they chose in 1971. A close parallel, in my view, of these stranded Pakistanis can be drawn with Palestinians since the latter are also living away from their homeland and more or less like refugees.
Published in The Express Tribune, December 20th, 2012.

Bring the stranded Pakistanis home – The Express Tribune

this is just crazy.
these people deserve to be in pakistan bot in refugee camps in bengaldesh.

are there any updates on their situation?

People who defended and fought for Pakistan are abandoned like orphans while we have millions of illegals and refugees from Afghanistan living in Pakistani cities as normal citizens. That's Pakistan for you.

C'mon man.

Don't repeat Mukti Bahini propaganda.

They labeled most of the Biharis as "Pro-Pak army".

This was not the case for majority of the Biharis settled in E. Pakistan.

Only a small number of them took part in any kind of militant activity.

But Mukti Bahini goons labeled all of them as pro-Pak Army purely based on racism.

You now are encouraging the same old racism.

Are you sure you are not a mukti bahini in disguise?

These people has been offered BD nationality but some have chosen to ignore it on the advise of idiots who claim to be their leaders. The situation is stupid and unsustainable. I think each family should be asked what they would wish to do. If they wish to remain in BD give them BD citizenship and end this farce. If they want to go to Pakistan then so be it. It's so stupid that Muslims are refugees in a country that was set up to be nation for Muslims. This has gone beyond retardedness.... Most of these so called refugees are indistinguishable from the rest of the populace. No one in BD cares about this, no one is asking them to go to Pakistan. These camps are haven for UN types to waste time and the leaders of these unfortunate people to exploit the situation for personal engrandisement.

C'mon man.

Don't repeat Mukti Bahini propaganda.

They labeled most of the Biharis as "Pro-Pak army".

This was not the case for majority of the Biharis settled in E. Pakistan.

Only a small number of them took part in any kind of militant activity.

But Mukti Bahini goons labeled all of them as pro-Pak Army purely based on racism.

You now are encouraging the same old racism.

Are you sure you are not a mukti bahini in disguise?

jus stfu up man.
these guys are stranded pakistanis
not a small minority but a vast majority of them support pakistan the reason is becuase they werent bengalis and they migrated to pakistan from india and now are stranded in bengladesh.

These people has been offered BD nationality but some have chosen to ignore it on the advise of idiots who claim to be their leaders. The situation is stupid and unsustainable. I think each family should be asked what they would wish to do. If they wish to remain in BD give them BD citizenship and end this farce. If they want to go to Pakistan then so be it. It's so stupid that Muslims are refugees in a country that was set up to be nation for Muslims. This has gone beyond retardedness.... Most of these so called refugees are indistinguishable from the rest of the populace. No one in BD cares about this, no one is asking them to go to Pakistan. These camps are haven for UN types to waste time and the leaders of these unfortunate people to exploit the situation for personal engrandisement.

yh thats what i think i as well.
but what pisses me off is the pakistani government not making efforts to bring them home if they want to be in pakistan.

jus stfu up man.
these guys are stranded pakistanis
not a small minority but a vast majority of them support pakistan the reason is becuase they werent bengalis and they migrated to pakistan from india and now are stranded in bengladesh.

yh thats what i think i as well.
but what pisses me off is the pakistani government not making efforts to bring them home if they want to be in pakistan.

Quit posting rubbish.

Even modern day Bengalis want to treat them as their own. See the post by @mb444

but the likes of you want to kick these BDeshis out of the land of their birth, why? out of pure racist view.

Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an Irony it is that 300,000 Bihari Pakistanis who love Pakistan are rotting away in Bangladeshi refugee camps and cannot come to Pakistan and 3,000,000 Afghans who hate Pakistan refuse to leave Pakistan and we cannot get rid of them.

We should trade the 300,000 bangladeshis in Karachi for the same amount of Biharis in BD.

Quit posting rubbish.

Even modern day Bengalis want to treat them as their own. See the post by @mb444

but the likes of you want to kick these BDeshis out of the land of their birth, why? out of pure racist view.

Pathetic.

i seen his post and agree with his post you bigot.
the ones that want to stay there should accept the citizenship that bengladesh offered them.
but the ones that want to be in pakistan should be here and our government should do what ever it can to bring these guys in pakistan.

your just a athiest nutjob so you dont understand how much these stranded pakistanis gave up to be with other muslims in pakistan.

What an Irony it is that 300,000 Bihari Pakistanis who love Pakistan are rotting away in Bangladeshi refugee camps and cannot come to Pakistan and 3,000,000 Afghans who hate Pakistan refuse to leave Pakistan and we cannot get rid of them.

We should trade the 300,000 bangladeshis in Karachi for the same amount of Biharis in BD.

we need to spread a bit awareness about that by keeping this thread alive.
maybe it will get to somebody influential who can do something.
anybody know nawaz sharifs number?lol

People who defended and fought for Pakistan are abandoned like orphans while we have millions of illegals and refugees from Afghanistan living in Pakistani cities as normal citizens. That's Pakistan for you.

I think, in a way, that is a good quality. Not a bad one.

In the context of tolerance and acceptance of diversity. The legal issue is another thing.

the ones that want to stay there should accept the citizenship that bengladesh offered them.
but the ones that want to be in pakistan should be here and our government should do what ever it can to bring these guys in pakistan.

No need to hurl abuses dear. Enough of the Islamist $hit on PDF already.

They should all be given, and they should accept with honor, citizenship of BDesh.

With the newly acquired passports, they should (if possible and when possible) make a visit to Pakistan.

If they choose to stay in Pakistan, a process of naturalization can be started.

Your ethnic and Islamic viewpoint is making them stateless. Which is the most $tupid thing to do to a fellow human being.

Oh

Let's not forget, most of them have been born after 1971 in BDesh, and thus should not be and cannot be held responsible for something their parents or grandparents might or might not have done.

They are by all accounts BDeshi first.

peace

No need to hurl abuses dear. Enough of the Islamist $hit on PDF already.

They should all be given, and they should accept with honor, citizenship of BDesh.

With the newly acquired passports, they should (if possible and when possible) make a visit to Pakistan.

If they choose to stay in Pakistan, a process of naturalization can be started.

Your ethnic and Islamic viewpoint is making them stateless. Which is the most $tupid thing to do to a fellow human being.

Oh

Let's not forget, most of them have been born after 1971 in BDesh, and thus should not be and cannot be held responsible for something their parents or grandparents might or might not have done.

They are by all accounts BDeshi first.

peace

nobody is holding them responsible for anything.
do you even read a post before you reply? or is your head up your *** all the time?
there is nothing ethnic about what i said you atheist bigot nut job.
if they consider themselves pakistani then they are pakistanis they migrated to pakistan not bengladesh, its just that our sorry *** government never had the resources to bring them to pakistan from bengladesh.
my viewpoints arent making them stateless they consider themselves stranded pakistanis, bengladesh has offered them citizenship and some have taken that it but 300,000 are still considering themselves pakistanis, they are more pakistani then you and me.

oh and btw you possibly the most arrogant and ignorant little sh it i seen on here besides @somebozo and few indians. dont freaking disrespect my religion or i will have you banned.
@WebMaster @Aeronaut
please pay attention to what @FaujHistorian is saying, he always tries to bring religion especially islam into every argument on purpose trying to provoke people in to cursing his *** out.
after our country was founded in the name of islam and without it we are just indians.

Back
Top Bottom