Brazil Plans to Build Aircraft Carrier, Defense Minister Says

kurup

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
upload_2014-3-12_10-49-53.jpeg

Brazilian aircraft carrier São Paulo

Brazil plans to build an aircraft carrier with a foreign partner as part of an effort to enhance its military readiness, Defense Minister Celso Amorim told reporters today.

“The idea is for it to be built in Brazil, probably based on an existing project,” Amorim told a group of foreign correspondents. Latin America’s largest country will require a new aircraft carrier within 15 years and will modernize its existing one in the meantime, Amorim said.

Brazil has stepped up spending on military equipment in recent years as it seeks to beef up its defense mostly of natural resources, from deep-sea oil to fresh water. “We are indeed a peaceful country, but no way will we be a defenseless country,” President Dilma Rousseff said last year.

In December the government chose Saab AB (SAABB) over Chicago-based Boeing Co (BA:US) and Paris-based Dassault Aviation SA (AM) to supply 36 jet fighters worth $4.5 billion. Until these are ready, Sweden may provide older model Gripens to the Brazilian Air Force, Amorim said.

European Aeronautic, Defence & Space Co. is carrying out a 1.9 billion-euro ($2.6 billion) order to supply Brazil with 50 helicopters. France’s DCNS SA and Brazil’s Construtora Norberto Odebrecht SA are building five submarines in Rio de Janeiro state, costing the government 9.6 billion reais through 2015, according to Defense Ministry data. One will be nuclear powered.

Brazil Plans to Build Aircraft Carrier, Defense Minister Says | idrw.org

We should help them in shipbuilding and take there expertise in aviation sector.

We are already making it.

You people are no where near that capable the requirements of Brazil are as good and close to US Navy they would be looking for next Gen AC which even russians can't develop. Like I said first complete make your own test it induct it prove it's worth. It is not about making Hull alone even vietnam can make boats.

You people are no where near that capable the requirements of Brazil are as good and close to US Navy they would be looking for next Gen AC which even russians can't develop. Like I said first complete make your own test it induct it prove it's worth. It is not about making Hull alone even vietnam can make boats.
Yeah you are right we are nowhere that much capable but i doubt Brazil needs something in the league of supercarriers and the article says that Brazil will acquire it in next 15 years and considering our own 650000 ton carrier will be ready by 2020 i think we can easily provide them help.
You can say that it will not be world class but then there aviation sector is also not world class.

finish it first lol
It will ready by 2020,making a aircraft carrier itself is something that most of the countries cannot even dream of.

hmm...San Paulo is CATOBAR...they want it based on an existing project.

That doesn't leave many options.
US doesn't sell aircraft carriers.
France sold them their current one and have some new CATOBAR designs but canceled it.
I guess they could base it on their current one.
Spain, Italy, and Britain have gone STOVL.

If they go STOVL they will need to buy new planes...and Harriers aren't made anymore.
Only F35B in the foreseeable future.

That leaves China, Russia, and India...

France sold them their current one and have some new CATOBAR designs but canceled it.

If they go STOVL they will need to buy new planes...and Harriers aren't made anymore.

And China and Russia will be busy building for themselves so i think India is the safest option considering we also cooperated in AWACS.

China , Russia and India only has STOBAR carriers .

If Brazil wants CATOBAR carrier they can select the modified Charles de Gualle design showcased by France butwill depend on US selling the catapult .

They could risk building a STOVL if they feel they can buy F35B's or hold out on the chance that their might be a flood of bargain priced Harriers on the market when the F35B goes into production. But there are many countries now with new helicopter carriers (South Korea, Japan, etc) who may want some too.

Even the US grabbed up all the British Harriers quickly.
U.S. To Buy Decommissioned British Harrier Jets | Defense News | defensenews.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom