What's new

BRAHMOS 2

The vehicle most probably will be a 'projectile dispenser'.
Will drop off unpowered warheads at multiple targets,from a high altitude...
Much like DARPA's hypersonic vehicle....

The vehicle most probably will be a 'projectile dispenser'.
Will drop off unpowered warheads at multiple targets,from a high altitude...
Much like DARPA's hypersonic vehicle....

And in such a case the 290 km range may not be achieved due to the vehicle's own arming range.

290 km may be taken on after it has gone around the world at least one time.

I think this whole discussion is based on the presumption that the missile cannot accelerate to mach 7 within a few kilometers. What if it can? Is there any evidence that it cant?

I think this whole discussion is based on the presumption that the missile cannot accelerate to mach 7 within a few kilometers. What if it can? Is there any evidence that it cant?

It definitely can't.

It definitely can't.

How do you know it cant? Thats what am asking. I dont mean to contest, I am just trying to find out if there is any proof why people think it cant. Because for a scramjet to work, I think it first needs to be boosted by a rocket to supersonic speeds, after which the scramjet takes over.

BTW I found this article.

Scientists conduct second HIFiRE test

Note the last line:

Under the program, the test vehicle is carried some 200 kilometres into the atmosphere aboard a rocket launched from Woomera.

It then dives back into the atmosphere at high speed to test the hypersonic flight technology

What if, since the missile flies on its own power, its called hypersonic, but in reality it goes to near LEO, and then comes back at high speed? Just throwing that out there.

ha ha ha .......

ahhh .... looking chirpy today.

Seems that you are not the resident of IOK, NE India and the districts afflicted by Naxals.

Don't visit such places and you'll remain safe in the remaining 40% of Indian territory.
I am the resident of NE india and its far safer and peaceful than ur country...

A platform travelling at Mach 7 and a distance of 290KM?? both don't match up.
by the time it hits mach 7 it would have covered well over 290 kms.

No, reaching the speed of Mach 7 under 290KM is very well possible. Lets suppose for a constant acceleration of 1g, to get a vel of 2200 ms, it takes 220 sec. The distance traveled in this time is about 240 Km. The acceleration can be much more than this. Only question is, what altitude the missile has to follow. Bhrahmos can travel at Mach 3 close to ground. Can it do it at double the speed?

BTW Mach 7 might also be the "upto" speed. Meaning, the hypersonic missile can still fly at minimum hypersonic speed, not at mach 7 to be considered hypersonic. Maybe that is the highest speed it can achieve. It probably wont achieve it for ranges of 290. Maybe if at max range it will. Thats also a possibility.

How do you know it cant? Thats what am asking. I dont mean to contest, I am just trying to find out if there is any proof why people think it cant. Because for a scramjet to work, I think it first needs to be boosted by a rocket to supersonic speeds, after which the scramjet takes over.

BTW I found this article.

Scientists conduct second HIFiRE test

Note the last line:

Under the program, the test vehicle is carried some 200 kilometres into the atmosphere aboard a rocket launched from Woomera.

It then dives back into the atmosphere at high speed to test the hypersonic flight technology

What if, since the missile flies on its own power, its called hypersonic, but in reality it goes to near LEO, and then comes back at high speed? Just throwing that out there.

What one can look at is the trajectory achieved by the DF 21 ASBM which has similar speeds and low terminal trajectory.

No, reaching the speed of Mach 7 under 290KM is very well possible. Lets suppose for a constant acceleration of 1g, to get a vel of 2200 ms, it takes 220 sec. The distance traveled in this time is about 240 Km. The acceleration can be much more than this. Only question is, what altitude the missile has to follow. Bhrahmos can travel at Mach 3 close to ground. Can it do it at double the speed?

Brahmos 1 takes 2.5 minutes from launch to destination of 290 KM.

Brahmos 1 takes 2.5 minutes from launch to destination of 290 KM.

How long does the booster ignite in brahmos 1? Would it be possible to achieve higher speeds if booster lasts a little while longer?

How long does the booster ignite in brahmos 1? Would it be possible to achieve higher speeds if booster lasts a little while longer?

The whole missile and avionics is designed for a certain speed, the shell may not take higher speeds plus there is the question of fuel storage. Brahmos II will definitely draw from Brahmos to an extent, but then higher speeds from the Brahmos I can be achieved based on integrity of the missile and aerodynamics.

The new avionics on the latest Brahmos I has extended its distance by 200 KMS.

It definitely can't.
I guess it can easily.. Many 20-30 km range SAMs are able to hit Mach 3-4 easily... that would mean they reach upto mach 4 within 20 km distance.. so mach 7 definitely possible within 30-40 km range.

I guess it can easily.. Many 20-30 km range SAMs are able to hit Mach 3-4 easily... that would mean they reach upto mach 4 within 20 km distance.. so mach 7 definitely possible within 30-40 km range.

We are talking about Brahmos II here which is much heavier and bigger than a SAM and which is supposed to be a reusable vehicle. so what we are talking about is considerably much larger than a Brahmos for it to return back, with a lot many sub systems adding up to its weight plus the fuel and possibly UCAV features.

This cruise missile cum UCAV will take considerably more time to hit mach 7 than a possible SAM.

We are talking about Brahmos II here which is much heavier and bigger than a SAM and which is supposed to be a reusable vehicle. so what we are talking about is considerably much larger than a Brahmos for it to return back, with a lot many sub systems adding up to its weight plus the fuel and possibly UCAV features.

This cruise missile cum UCAV will take considerably more time to hit mach 7 than a possible SAM.

The UCAV feature was something that Abdul Kalam proposed. I think the Brahmos 2 is gonna be a normal missile.

The UCAV thing will not be the only thing developed.

A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, an aerospace engineer and former President of India, asked the BrahMos Aerospace to develop an advanced version of the BrahMos cruise missile to maintain India's lead in the field. He stated

“You should develop a hypersonic version of BrahMos which can be reused meaning that the missile should be able to deliver its payload and return to base. This will help in maintaining our leadership in this arena. ”
This would turn Brahmos into an UCAV.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom