What's new

Boycott Electricity bill in November 2010

simple question...

why should the government pay (subsidize) your electricity bills?

if the electricity production cost is higher than what you are paying currently, then you should be thanking the government which has every right to not do so.

simple question...

if the electricity production cost is higher than what you are paying currently, then you should be thanking the government which has every right to not do so.

Simple answer, in my view..Govt should either try to lower the production cost or take steps to hike salary of average pakistan.

Some are saying that because I am not in Pakistan now I have no idea what I'm talking about, well I've lived there and this is just about economy, no matter where you are.

Here's an alternative available right now.
Iran to supply Pakistan with free electricity | Business

Iran on other occasions has offered Pakistan electricity at very low prices. Pakistan just hasn't responded.

Everything has to be planned you can't just hope to fix one small thing and hope everything falls back into place.

Iran on other occasions has offered Pakistan electricity at very low prices. Pakistan just hasn't responded.
Correction: Not Pakistan, it's the Government which has become submissive and subservient to American demands to not co-operate with Iran. If the government can sideline the national interests for American's than people have every right to protest. Isn't that what Democracy is all about???? & boycotting bills is an indication of public disapproval of governments policies. But i doubt if people will ever resort to the extent of boycotting, as these are the characteristics of a NATION & unfortunately we are nothing more than a mob who lacks foresight........:frown:

Last edited:
Sorry for poking my nose here. But acts like not paying the electricity will burden the economy further and cause instability. If the government budges for this demand, the public would be increasingly start protesting for govt's decision and change it satisfy their short term needs. My opinion is they should cut the electricity for those who do not pay to show that the government is in control.

simple question...

Electricity subsidies have already been abolished under terms with IMF. Perhaps poorest lot (people using under 100 units) may be getting some reduced tarif.

Problem is mismanagement and incompetency at all levels of power sector.

1. In large parts of country (FATA, ...), people dont pay dues at all.
2. In urban areas (Karachi, ...) kunda system is in place to pilfer electricity due to corruption in power companies.
3. Meter reading system is faulty. We need pre-paid meters for electricty.
4. We are using costly inputs for power generation (imported oil)
5. Distribution system is faulty. (huge line losses)
6. People who pay their bills have to bear higher costs due to line losses, electricity theft, costly imported fuel.

I don't know if there is something special about this novembers electricity bills but personally i can tell you that this months my house electricity bill has a increase of 33% as compared to last few months. I was really surprized to see it. Everyone was asking one thing , Why soo much increase in just one month.

simple question...

and who tells the government to use the most expensive source of generating electricity?

If the government can generate electricity for 1-3 rupees per unit on hydro projects...why they have to stick with expensive 8-13 rupees of fossil oil and rental power plants :rolleyes:

(Short term solution is okk, but governments failed to foresight the electricity demand for future)

Man I hate it when people do this... They expect so much but give so little.

We want a rich Pakistan, we want free education and health but we don't want to pay taxes.

We want cheap electricity even if that means electricity companies going bankrupt.

and who tells the government to use the most expensive source of generating electricity?

If the government can generate electricity for 1-3 rupees per unit on hydro projects...why they have to stick with expensive 8-13 rupees of fossil oil and rental power plants :rolleyes:

(Short term solution is okk, but governments failed to foresight the electricity demand for future)

mainly because hydro project take years and also its not easier to built significant consensus in political economy of ours.
also we dont have money to build huge dams which very few in the private sector would like to fund due to them being considered as very long term investment projects.

given the massive energy deficit, there is no way out but to go for these expansive projects at least in the short run.

Electricity subsidies have already been abolished under terms with IMF. Perhaps poorest lot (people using under 100 units) may be getting some reduced tarif.

Problem is mismanagement and incompetency at all levels of power sector.

1. In large parts of country (FATA, ...), people dont pay dues at all.
2. In urban areas (Karachi, ...) kunda system is in place to pilfer electricity due to corruption in power companies.
3. Meter reading system is faulty. We need pre-paid meters for electricty.
4. We are using costly inputs for power generation (imported oil)
5. Distribution system is faulty. (huge line losses)
6. People who pay their bills have to bear higher costs due to line losses, electricity theft, costly imported fuel.

all the problems mentioned by you still exist but subsides have not been eliminated as of now. significant amount is still being given in form of subsidies to various groups and sectors.

Simple answer, in my view..Govt should either try to lower the production cost or take steps to hike salary of average pakistan.

electricity cost can only be lowered through large scale hydro and nuclear projects which take very long time and also much resources.

secondly government can never increase salaries of avg pakistani with 9% tax to GDP ratio. also dont forget many external shocks which we have to deal with time and again.

mainly because hydro project take years and also its not easier to built significant consensus in political economy of ours.
also we dont have money to build huge dams which very few in the private sector would like to fund due to them being considered as very long term investment projects.

given the massive energy deficit, there is no way out but to go for these expansive projects at least in the short run.

so who is responsible for all this?

Lack of consensus and foresight in my opinion

and thats what I said before :thinktank: - They have no plans for long term solution of these problems - only temporary measures are usually being taken that is always very expensive and that in my opinion, the politicians are responsible

(not talking about the latest 2030 plan of energy)

Last edited:
i have the problem with the title of the thread, dont get me wrong, is this the solution. already GOP has less money for investment in this sector. reforms are the solution. save electricity as much as u can. if u invest today ten u wil reap the benefit in next 5 yr because if you start saving from today u can able to build a house after 5-10 yrs.

Excellent plan ..boycott electricity bill -> Line losses increase manifold -> Circular debt piles up in record time -> Electric Companies don't get money to buy gas n oil -> Electricity production drops -> load shedding(recently reversed) increases manifold-> Electric bill will automatically come down next month. (coz no power, no bill)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom