BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.financialexpress.com/economy/boeing-ends-contract-with-hal/110345/

Boeing ends contract with HAL over ‘poor quality’ of production
US firm’s decision comes over HAL’s ‘poor quality’ of production
Huma Siddiqui

Boeing has over the last few years shifted its component sourcing requirements in India to private companies — Tata Group, Dynamatic Technologies, Rossell Techsys and others. (Photo: Reuters)
US defence major Boeing has terminated a contract with state-run Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) for component supplies to the former’s war and commercial planes being inducted into the Indian Navy.

Boeing’s decision came after repeated reminders to HAL about its “poor quality” of production, sources said, adding that the US company’s move underlined the need for better strategies by India’s policymakers in order to bolster the order books of defence PSUs.

Boeing has over the last few years shifted its component sourcing requirements in India to private companies — Tata Group, Dynamatic Technologies, Rossell Techsys and others.

Under a $4.7-million contract signed with Boeing in 2010, HAL was to provide weapons bay doors for eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft that the former would supply to the Indian Navy.

The contract with HAL for equipment for the P8I, through its avionics division in Hyderabad, was the first P-8I offset package that Boeing had directly executed with India’s largest aerospace company. In addition to its work on the P-8I programme, HAL was to also supply Boeing with gun bay doors and wire harnesses for the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and uplock boxes for the 777 commercial airplane.

Boeing refused to comment for this story, while senior HAL officials said although “there were problems” (with the Boeing contract), these would be resolved.

“Boeing is already working with multiple companies in India to fulfil its commitments. We are actively working global sourcing strategies that can help make Boeing more competitive around the world, in addition to building India’s aerospace capabilities and meeting our offset commitments,” Dennis Swanson, vice-president of Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) in India, had told FE in an interview earlier.

Industry sources have indicated that since 2014, Boeing has been expressing its dissatisfaction with HAL’s performance and has moved to other firms to meet its requirements. For instance, Dynamatic Technologies and Tata Advanced Materials (TAML) are delivering power and mission equipment cabinets for P-8I aircraft, and TAML is also on contract to provide P-8I auxiliary power unit door fairings. Dynamatic Technologies is on contract to manufacture the aft pylon and cargo ramp assemblies for Boeing’s CH-47F Chinook. Maini and TAL Manufacturing Solutions are on contract to provide C-17 ground support equipment to Boeing.

Boeing is interested in setting up a manufacturing base in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme. It has recently inked a framework agreement with Tata Advanced Systems to collaborate in aerospace and defence manufacturing and potential integrated systems development opportunities, including unmanned aerial vehicles.

never expect quality from Indian manufacturers or India made products of forigen brand..i have tried many...Nokia, Copeland, Nissan,...anything made in India is crap!

They're moving away from HAL and tieing up with big and small private firms. This due to India recent continued liberalization of the aerospace and defence sector. Many aerospace giants are actually expanding in India.

TATA's young aerospace division's contracts.

ALZmvXK.jpg

Yyoz5mN.jpg

Sikorsky Cabins

a1gkG5z.jpg

ScKX73R.jpg

APTImxg.jpg

oe02qCe.jpg

Tata Lockheed Martin Modules

g1rvgM7.jpg

uoQIFGT.jpg

TATA Aerospace RUAG Dornier Assembly

Bagged assembly of Cobham air to air probes

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...refuelling-parts-to-cobham/article7737392.ece

Bagged assembly of Pilatus PC-12

http://articles.economictimes.india...anced-systems-pilatus-aircraft-aerostructures

Bagged assembly of Airbus C-295 transports

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...t-helicopter-tata-airbus-putin-modi/27359629/

Bagged Apache Block 3 Module(fuselage) Construction

Make in India: Boeing & Tata announce JV to produce Apache fuselages - The Economic Times

Last edited:
Largest%2Bdefence%2BFDI%2BJV%2Bof%2BTATA-Boeing%2Bto%2Bmake%2Bfuselage%2Bfor%2BApache%2BH%2527copter%2Blaid%2BHy%2527bad.jpg

tata-1466256819.jpg

TATA_Boeing_Apache_Fuselage_Construction.jpg

Eventually, there will only be one plant producing Boeing's Apache Block 3 fuselages, that's a JV plant of TATA-Boeing in Hyderabad.

There are whole systems integration contracts TATA, Mahindra, etc. are fight for with Bell, Airbus, etc. as well.

Outside OEMs are creating in essence domestic module makers, system integrators which R&D wings like ADA can leverage for future programs like AMCA. Or TATA, Mahindra, etc. can leverage for their own domestic designs.

never expect quality from Indian manufacturers or India made products of forigen brand..i have tried many...Nokia, Copeland, Nissan,...anything made in India is crap!
not sure why you had to try that many to conclude that...there is a saying - "fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me..." ...

Good,Govt. organisations should be avoided,partner with TATA,L&T,Reliance,Mahindra etc

No wonder this is expected. Given the work ethics and the work culture that exists in HAL, OFBs and many other govt entities, international firms should partner with private entities for higher quality and increased rate of production. The lazy sloths at HAL do nothing except drinking tea and chatting for hours. I hope the govt offers LCA & LCH's production to some private Indian firm so that the rate of production could be increased and also the quality. The primary reason for LCA's delay is the poor project management that exists in most govt entities. I hope some day the govt sells the so called OFBs and gun carriage factories to private Indian defense firms, so that there could exist a healthy competition between them and would also compete to develop world class products not just for the Indian market but also for exports. I guess Indian public defense firms could never compete with each other and establish a healthy competition in the defense market like their Russian or Chinese counterparts, so it is always better to privatize these, atleast the OFBs and gun carriage factories as of now.

Hal is unprofessional unorganised unaccountable unprofitable and unworthy.

They should be kicked and work with private firms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom