What's new

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

• Boeing CH-47F Chinook

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Mi-26TZ

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Think this tender should be awarded to Russia but problem is they might hike up the price after they win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mi-26 makes more sense as we already operate them..Only bottleneck in this deal is the supply of spares....The spare crunch will be always there...

Mi-26 makes more sense as we already operate them..Only bottleneck in this deal is the supply of spares....The spare crunch will be always there...
Why not take permission from Russia to Reverse engineer some Critical spare Parts:taz:

The two underlined parts contradict each other.
What good is a bird that cannot fly, because of lack of spares! The IAF has an appropriate expression/acronym for that- AOG (Aircraft On the Ground), an aircraft on the ground is not an aircraft, it can't even be considered to be a truck; for god's sake.
Mi-26s have had the worst record of AOG status in the IAF inventory. The IAF does not want to re-visit those days; however much nostalgia they may have for the "good ol' days". :devil:

What I do find a little amusing on this thread, is that people are attempting to hawk/ market some wares on the basis of some paper specs. The Operational experiences can be vastly different and disconcerting, to put it mildly.

CH-47 Will be Good Choice - Will help Swift Troop and Artillery Movement in Rough Terrain Especially In North East

751px-CH-47_2.jpg

Besides Americans Provide Better Service , The Early Delievery of C-130 was Bright Example

Chinooks can Carry 30-50 Troops Easily which is Quite Enough

The two underlined parts contradict each other.
What good is a bird that cannot fly, because of lack of spares! The IAF has an appropriate expression/acronym for that- AOG (Aircraft On the Ground), an aircraft on the ground is not an aircraft, it can't even be considered to be a truck; for god's sake.
Mi-26s have had the worst record of AOG status in the IAF inventory. The IAF does not want to re-visit those days; however much nostalgia they may have for the "good ol' days". :devil:

What I do find a little amusing on this thread, is that people are attempting to hawk/ market some wares on the basis of some paper specs. The Operational experiences can be vastly different and disconcerting, to put it mildly.

Isn't this true for all the russian systems..? We were making the planes at home but were dependent on russians for Tyre..

Mi-26 does make more sense as we are operating them but there is a flip side to it..- Spare problem..

I personally think that India should have waited a little bit and then should have ordered this

CH53K_valley_535.jpg

CH53K is going to be the largest cargo copter made by US , it will be powered by 3 5,590KW engines and have a payload of 15TONS.:woot:

Why reverse engineer..? We could manufacture the parts here if Russia wants..

Are wahi yaaar

Just take permission from Russia to manufacture spares locally

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

I personally think that India should have waited a little bit and then should have ordered this

CH53K_valley_535.jpg

CH53K is going to be the largest cargo copter made by US , it will be powered by 3 5,590KW engines and have a payload of 15TONS.:woot:

Mi-26 ke baaad isi ka number hai:D

CH53K_valley_535.jpg

I believe CH-53K is still quite far from even prototype and this requirement of IAF is pressing.

CH53K_valley_535.jpg

One reason why I prefered the CH53 (no matter which version) was the possible commonality factor! IAF needs 15 heavy lift helicopters, but IN is evaluating 4 x LDPs/LHDs and according the RFI, they should be able to operate large helicopters too. An LDP like the INS Jalashwa can operate up to 2 x CH 53s, so choosing the same heavy lift healicopter for IAF and IN might have been a good idea, but neither the Mi 26-T2, nor the Chinook will be useful for IN (Sea Kings, naval version of the Chinooks are not in production anymore and replaced by new aircrafts). But as I told you, IAF might not want to wait till the CH53 K is fully developed and available.

One reason why I prefered the CH53 (no matter which version) was the possible commonality factor! IAF needs 15 heavy lift helicopters, but IN is evaluating 4 x LDPs/LHDs and according the RFI, they should be able to operate large helicopters too. An LDP like the INS Jalashwa can operate up to 2 x CH 53s, so choosing the same heavy lift healicopter for IAF and IN might have been a good idea, but neither the Mi 26-T2, nor the Chinook will be useful for IN (Sea Kings, naval version of the Chinooks are not in production anymore and replaced by new aircrafts). But as I told you, IAF might not want to wait till the CH53 K is fully developed and available.

Correction SEA KINGHTS are the navalised version of CH-47. And I had similar thoughts in regards to IN LPD/LHD in future possibly operating CH-53s. But because we are quite a way from seeing even the first flight of CH-53K and time is an issue for IAF there is no way the Sea Stallion could be part of the tender which is why I through my hat in with CH-47F all the way.

As LPD/LHD are still a few years away, IN can afford to wait for CH-53K.

Apache,Chinook,AS-550 is my bet for how the helo tenders are going to go down. Sorry Russia, you need to up your game- India doesn't need you anymore, she needs the BEST.

^^^
From operational and maintenance point of view Mi26 is a pain in the a$$ and expen$ive too. But yeah Mi26 with its tremendous load carrying capacity is an engineering marvel. I think Mi26 might won because it looks like LUH is definitely going to eurocopter so to make every one happy, we might give this project to Russians. Also now Rosoboronexport has set up the shop near delhi so i think the service of russian equipments might improve in India.

the point is not to keep everyone happy. how the f*** is that even an issue? we need to look at what's the best for our needs. sucking russia's dick wont make it protect us if pakistan and china decide to attack .

besides , i cant imagine an mi-26 being used for rapid deployment on the frontlines.....

Correction SEA KINGHTS

Of course, meant Knights and typed Kings.

she needs the BEST.

And the best in the heavy lift class is the Mi26-T2! :)

besides , i cant imagine an mi-26 being used for rapid deployment on the frontlines.....

That's why it's not meant for such roles, but for heavy lift of vehicles, howitzers, cargo or troops to places where fixed wing transport aircrafts can't land and where medium class helicopters like the Mi 17s would be not capable enough. The Chinook fits somewhere in between, since it can be used in tactical roles like the Mi 17, as well as in the heavy lift role, but simply with far less performance than the Mi 26. IAF already placed orders for many Mi 17s, so the tactical role is not only covered, but there are also plans to develop an Indian medium class helicopter, so there is no need for the Chinook in the same roles as well. This competition is about lift roles and the Chinook is only superior in maintenance and after sale support, while it clearly lacks the capability.

Back
Top Bottom