What's new

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

• Boeing CH-47F Chinook

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Mi-26TZ

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I told journalists....

When a BSF helicopter crashed a couple of days ago, our local channel reported that the helicopter that crashed was made in India by Pawan Hans. Such is the level of defense journalists in India.

1098204.jpg

When a BSF helicopter crashed a couple of days ago, our local channel reported that the helicopter that crashed was made in India by Pawan Hans. Such is the level of defense journalists in India.

There may be some mistake by some people but please don’t blame all journalists

There may be some mistake by some people but please don’t blame all journalists

Another gem. A pistol went missing from our police academy. The reporter said that the pistol was made in Belgium and costs lakhs, but the reality is that eventhough the pistol is of Belgian origin its made for India in IOF, Ishapur.

the only problem with the mi 26 is maintenance - if the russians can solve that(which they seem to be doing) then the mi 26 wins hands down - it is the best in the business.
and since we already operate the mi 26 the logistics are already in place - having too many different kinds of choppers/planes is only a logistical and maintenance nightmare.

Old is gold.

Atlas jewellery.. janakodikalude...

:lol:

^^^
From operational and maintenance point of view Mi26 is a pain in the a$$ and expen$ive too. But yeah Mi26 with its tremendous load carrying capacity is an engineering marvel. I think Mi26 might won because it looks like LUH is definitely going to eurocopter so to make every one happy, we might give this project to Russians. Also now Rosoboronexport has set up the shop near delhi so i think the service of russian equipments might improve in India.

There is no need to make everybody happy, but to take the most suited aircrafts for the requirements of Indian forces. In the combat helicopter competition it seems that the Apache was the most suited, in the heavy lift competition the Mi 26-T2 should be the obvious choice, if the Russians offer us improvements in maintaing it and in the LUH competition the experience with Eurocopter and the proven capabilities of the Fennec should be important advantages.
At the end, the Indian defence market is big enough for anybody so, it's up to them to get a part of it, not on us. If they offer the best they have, with good conditions, their chances to win competition will rise!

My pick is well and truly the CH-47F, hopefully IAF get 40-50+. The CH-47F VS Mi-26 argument is like the AN-124 VS C-17 argument. Use the An-124/Mi-26 can carry more but they are both lumbering giants who are a ****** to maintain and operate. Whilst the C-17/CH-47F are comparatively smaller but can still lift huge Loads but can transport them to short runways/LZ so are more TACTICAL and are usable in war.

Hopefully once IA plans for SOAR are put into practice they can go for the MH-47F along with Dhruv (WSI).

The new modernized Mi-26 has digital cockpit and needs only 2 people to fly the helo unlike the older models we operate right now needing 5. So this is a huge advantage that we have already the existing infrastructure needed.

Knowing the recent win of Apaches (much to my disappointment), this contract will go to Russians for sure. Mi-26 outstrips the Chinook by far margin and that's what IAF usually wants in big helos; massive capacity. Mi-26TZ has just that.

My pick is well and truly the CH-47F, hopefully IAF get 40-50+... Whilst the C-17/CH-47F are comparatively smaller but can still lift huge Loads but can transport them to short runways/LZ so are more TACTICAL and are usable in war.

Hopefully once IA plans for SOAR are put into practice they can go for the MH-47F along with Dhruv (WSI).

Again buddy, anything you want to do with the Chinook, will be already done in IAF by Mi 8/Mi 17, because that is the tactical helicopter for our forces, which transport troops, equippment, or even the M777 howitzers in future. So this competition is A meant only for the heavy lift role and B, only meant as an replacemeant of the older Mi 26 in smaller numbers (15).
With this in mind, there is no doubt that the Mi 26-T2 is the obvious choice with air lift capability in mind, because the Chinook doesn't even come close to the Mi 26 capability. The only issue that speaks in favour of the Chinook, is the lower maintenance and safe spare supplies. However, if the Russians can handle it, there should be no doubt about who should win the deal!
Personally I can would like to see Rudra next to Mi 26-T2, transporting troops and providing fire support, just like I want to see a batch of LCHs, with some Apaches leading them, conected with an UAV or AWACs in attack roles.

Back
Top Bottom