What's new

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

Boeing CH-47F Chinook vs Mi-26TZ, what good for India?

• Boeing CH-47F Chinook

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Mi-26TZ

Votes: 20 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Guys i dont understand one thing other then maintenance and spares problem in wat way Mi-26 has lesser advantage than chinook..

Check the following link, that shows some graphics of the Boeing PR:

Livefist: Boeing presentation to IAF comparing Chinook with Mi-26

Mate wat you will use if the chinook Stuck r Crashed in a war which can be repaired ...Will you Leave it just tat...?Or you will do the Repairing job on war zone...?Or you will use Mi-26 to Evacuate the Chinook...Tats the power of Mi-26,Its not about use in battle field,Its about tactical heavy lifting in war zone..for tactical troop fielding we ve other Choppers in our inventory ...

Mate wat you will use if the chinook Stuck r Crashed in a war which can be repaired ...Will you Leave it just tat...?Or you will do the Repairing job on war zone...?Or you will use Mi-26 to Evacuate the Chinook...Tats the power of Mi-26,Its not about use in battle field,Its about tactical heavy lifting in war zone..for tactical troop fielding we ve other Choppers in our inventory ...

:lol: You asked for advantages of Chinook and I tried to help, that's all. You don't have to convince me about Mi 26, I am all for it, if the Russians will provide us with necessary ToT and parts of the production to keep the maintenance problems in check.

Correction SEA KINGHTS are the navalised version of CH-47. And I had similar thoughts in regards to IN LPD/LHD in future possibly operating CH-53s. But because we are quite a way from seeing even the first flight of CH-53K and time is an issue for IAF there is no way the Sea Stallion could be part of the tender which is why I through my hat in with CH-47F all the way.

As LPD/LHD are still a few years away, IN can afford to wait for CH-53K.

Apache,Chinook,AS-550 is my bet for how the helo tenders are going to go down. Sorry Russia, you need to up your game- India doesn't need you anymore, she needs the BEST.

you got the point buddy..
india needs best @ competitive prices with lots of tot.

I wish that if Pakistan can take a project like this with Russian to further modify this by introducing counter rotating rotors and a rear properllers like the new AVX has than this beast can beat anything that come close to it.
AVX OH-58D Conversion - YouTube

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

and getting 21 of these for different roles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mi-26_Chinook_bus.jpg
Is this pic real?

that sums it up :) ...

may be chinook is more sophisticated and can avoid more sam hits but at the end of the day ..no one gonna ferry soldiers on active battle zone in a big *a*s*s chopper ,,, para drop by C-17/IL-76 is the way ///

^^^
From operational and maintenance point of view Mi26 is a pain in the a$$ and expen$ive too. But yeah Mi26 with its tremendous load carrying capacity is an engineering marvel. I think Mi26 might won because it looks like LUH is definitely going to eurocopter so to make every one happy, we might give this project to Russians. Also now Rosoboronexport has set up the shop near delhi so i think the service of russian equipments might improve in India.

Chinook too is complex and maintenance intensive.

But Chinook has one big advantage.

6-714993.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, couldn't restist here. :)

It's true that the tandem rotor design of the Chinook gives advantages to rear loading/unloading to a truck compared to a normal helicopter, but who cares about that when you can carry not only the load, but the truck itself inside of an Mi 26?

photo2large.jpg

When it's up to lifting performance, there can't be any other choice than the Russian heli, but they have to do or offer something to us in regard to the support problems we had in the past, otherwise we simply combine this deal with the Apache deal and Boeing will get another deal.
Personally I had prefered a final comparison between the Sikorsky CH53 and the Mi 26, not sure why or when it was rejected, but it would have been the better US choice.

Even super stallion can carry max payload of 12 to 16 tons.

Of course, meant Knights and typed Kings.

And the best in the heavy lift class is the Mi26-T2! :)

That's why it's not meant for such roles, but for heavy lift of vehicles, howitzers, cargo or troops to places where fixed wing transport aircrafts can't land and where medium class helicopters like the Mi 17s would be not capable enough. The Chinook fits somewhere in between, since it can be used in tactical roles like the Mi 17, as well as in the heavy lift role, but simply with far less performance than the Mi 26. IAF already placed orders for many Mi 17s, so the tactical role is not only covered, but there are also plans to develop an Indian medium class helicopter, so there is no need for the Chinook in the same roles as well. This competition is about lift roles and the Chinook is only superior in maintenance and after sale support, while it clearly lacks the capability.

Kindly give source for claim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom