What's new

Body Armour

AoA Tamir,

Well i had called up Lyra, they said that if I provide a proof of employment, meaning an employment letter from the army, then they would be able to sell it on individual basis. I also got the prices from them.

So now which model would u suggest looking at the current scenario? Except for the Interceptor Body Armour as its bulky.

And are Lyra any good. Definitely the ones provided to the army would be of not the best quality as army would be looking at the price too. They must have gone with the ones which provide sufficient protection. I need something better then that.

Suggestion would be appreciated.

Thx

PM sent. Let me know if you have any questions.

Boron carbide ceramics with appropriate spall cover and backing will defeat 50 caliber. I really wouldn't classify it as Level IV.

how much it cost??
any armour avable for civilians?
where and how much?

A technical question:

Do you know or could you offer a lightest weight soft armor panel (SAP, do not included the outer vest and without any extral inserts) of bullet proof jacket to against at least 6 shots of 7.62x25mm Tokarev (steel case,lead core) with TT pistol fire from 5 meters (two shots from 30 angle and others from 0 angle, BFS depth value required under 44mm)?

If you know or you could offer then, please confirm:
1. the weight (kg) and protect area (m2) of the soft armor panel (SAP only)
2. the material which used for the soft armor panel (SAP only)
3. band & type information if possible.

Thanks and best regards.
H.A.

Last edited:
Boron carbide ceramics with appropriate spall cover and backing will defeat 50 caliber. I really wouldn't classify it as Level IV.

Not sure I follow you here. Are you saying level IV can stop a 50? Regardless, there is no armor that can stop a 50 except sufficiently thick steel. It is called an anti material round for a reason - commonly used to demolish concrete houses very very quickly. To even consider a personal protection device with commonly available materials against this round is stupid.

No, NIJ Level IV is rated to provide protection against .30 caliber.
As I mentioned that .50 caliber can be defeated (not Level IV). Boron and Silicone Carbide are very tough. I can spend a whole day explaining different ways to defeat a particular round. But you are absolutely right that personal protection against .50 is unpractical.
Keep in mind, nothing is bulletproof yet on the same hand all threat levels can be defeated.

Tamir bhai I am a little confused. In the following picture it seems that the back SAPI insert is in a separate pouch.If yes then what about the front section.Is there any SAPI insert at the front.I assume yes but within the vest.Any idea about the company.Lyra or cavalier?

.BTW i have seen similar local vests with molle attachments that open from the front but they were without SAPI inserts.

One more image.

http://www.app.com.pk/photo/photo_lib/01-09-2009/e703653d825656f684801526bf1dbe9d.jpg

Last edited:
Mian Asad Sahib,
Those vests are Interceptor OTV and they do have pouches for front and back SAPIs. The Interceptor does open from the front with front left panel being larger than the right one. The front SAPI goes in the right panel with the left overlapping and closing the vest from the front.
The load bearing vest with a SAPI does not make sense. It could be a hydration bladder with drinking water but I see no drinking pipe coming out. Those Interceptor vest are probably part of the military aid package from the US.
There are pictures of Interceptor vest made by Lyra on their website
Interceptor Body Armour - Lyra (Pvt) Ltd
Please note the quality difference. The Interceptors in the picture above are made from 1000 denier Cordura. The material for Lyra's vest is Nylon. Nylon outer carrier will not last a day in the field. Interceptor is also a complex design and probably being exported.

Now back to the loadbearing vest. In order to keep the balance between front and back they might have put some supplies in the rear pouch. I hope to God that it in not the SAPI.

I hope that answers your question.

This image proves what Tamir bhai said.

49cf2f912c292ea4fb359b9290d68822.jpg

Lyra has supplied half of the last order to the Army. "Officially" you won't be able to buy a vest from any of the manufacturers in Pakistan.

The soft armor panels and Dyneema inserts are very good. Keep in mind that nothing is bulletproof. The Pakistan Army went for the lightest Level III inserts. We have supplied to Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. They insisted on steel plates due to budget constraints.

I hope your brother is safe along with the rest of our brave men. PM if you need more info.

Why aren't individuals allowed to purchase body armour? You'd think, considering the scenario in our country, we'd be offered and advised to weak armour.

Widespread availability of body amour will result in proliferation of armor piercing handguns / ammo

I guess, if we take a US marine soldier as an example. I would say his gear is already very heavy. And they can't have unlimitted ammonution. In a real warfare, ammonution is more important than a body armor. A soldier has to be fit, and has to sprint, and Kevlar really makes it hard to fulfil those abilities. Maybe some special obs still wear kevlar, since they have precise operation, and probably not geared as much up with ammo as a marine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom