What's new

Bloody Riots in Rawalpindi

the protest was all about high Fares, it happened in faizabad near to my house (sector I-8), I heard that protesters were trying to intrude into the houses in faizabad so some of the families had weapons with them so they reacted

Yup it was against high Fares. Students were just on protest. But police reaction was quite cruel.

Even some students today received bullet injuries on face. I do not know whether media has reported this or not but me live in Rawalpindi. Confirmed from my sources.

And looks like most of you have never been to such unfortunate adventures ( I still advise donot attend). What police does is that they take cover of ambulances, private vehicles and private offices in order to launch a surprise attack on protesters. And if the protesters want to save their lives they must counter attack and this is how public loss happens.

I do not say students protesting were angels but still it was not their fault.

Non-lethal force should always be used during riot situations, but this violent protesting mindset, that too out of educated students is a scourge for Pakistan.

yes students have right to protest, I am a student and i have to pay atleast 200 rupees everyday so i cud go to college everyday, which is killing me :frown:

Pakistan Govt should provide special pass to Students as it is India atleast in Indian Punjab students get 70% discount on tickets
actually we students dont need a pass, the bus conductor automatically reduces money when he sees a student in college uniform, but what about the rest of the people, :hitwall:

actually we students dont need a pass, the bus conductor automatically reduces money when he sees a student in college uniform, but what about the rest of the people, :hitwall:

Daily passengers should be provided passes..............May be only in govt. buses will solve the problem.

The persons who travel occasionally on Buses wont be having that much effect of price hike:mps:

Is this 150 rs per month fare or per year fare??

@windjammer, equiliz3r only ponting out there is concessions for students in some of the Indian states..so chill ..

yes students have right to protest, I am a student and i have to pay atleast 200 rupees everyday so i cud go to college everyday, which is killing me :frown:

But they dont have the right to damage people's properties and damage to gov installations.

And i never saw in my life any student paying Rs50 even to travel from Pindi to Islamabad.

Have some heart they are not travling from Abbotabad to Islamabad.

All of these studenst are locals.

BTW today it has been exposed that political parties are involved.

PML-N, ANP, JI .

Oh God like a horror story for me. Can’t even imagine. But we have realize too this is a result of blind privatization. Public transport can’t be left in the hands of greedy profit seeking business people.

And i never saw in my life any student paying Rs50 even to travel from Pindi to Islamabad.

Have some heart they are not travling from Abbotabad to Islamabad.

This is the problem.

If the student is traveling in one bus he might pay only 20-28 rs. But we (students) usually have to switch buses ( or whatever transport is available) because no bus takes us directly to the place wanted.

Solution is government should introduce new routes. This will save our time and money both.

Oh God like a horror story for me. Can’t even imagine. But we have realize too this is a result of blind privatization. Public transport can’t be left in the hands of greedy profit seeking business people.

And most of the transport in use of these greedy profit seeking people is using CNG. Whenever CNG price is increased the try to increase fares, and whenever Diseal prices increase they try the same

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Last edited:
This is the problem.

If the student is traveling in one bus he might pay only 20-28 rs. But we (students) usually have to switch buses ( or whatever transport is available) because no bus takes us directly to the place wanted.

Solution is government should introduce new routes. This will save our time and money both.

And most of the transport in use of these greedy profit seeking people is using CNG. Whenever CNG price is increased the try to increase fares, and whenever Diseal prices increase they try the same

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

My dear new routes are not solution of this problem. What ever you do transporters will find the way to “milk” money from passengers. All we need to have a well established public transport network. Private sector should be kept at certain distance.

Is this 150 rs per month fare or per year fare??

@windjammer, equiliz3r only ponting out there is concessions for students in some of the Indian states..so chill ..
I heard its 150/trip...

Rise in the electricity prices/fares is directly linked to world bank regulations!

World bank saved pakistan from the verge of bankruptcy a while ago - as part of the agreement pakistan has to raise prices of essentials, like electricity/fares/food prices to start paying towards loan as part of the agreement there will be further hikes in the future.

New IMF loan insufficient for Pakistan: economists

KARACHI: Pakistani economists on Saturday said an additional $3.2 billion loan from the IMF would have little impact on the economic problems facing the cash-starved South Asian country.

The International Monetary Fund on Friday said it had approved an additional 3.2 billion dollar loan to Pakistan after it asked for more help to weather the global economic crisis.

The IMF said the extra funds for its Pakistan loan programme would “help the country address increased balance of payment needs” and raise the total loan to 11.3 billion dollars.

Independent economists said it wasn’t enough to solve Pakistan’s economic woes though.

“It is just a temporary relief for our economy given the fact that we have to return the loan in a brief two-year period while our economy needs a decade or so to attain stability,” economist A B Shahid told AFP.

He noted that the Pakistani rupee has already depreciated against the dollar by about a third in the last 18 months and continues to dwindle.

Pakistan’s central bank says total liquid foreign reserves currently held by the country stand at 11.71 billion dollars. They dipped to around six billion dollars last year, triggering a balance of payments crisis and forcing Islamabad to seek the IMF’s help.

The IMF has already given Pakistan four billion dollars from the 7.6 billion dollar Stand-By Arrangement agreed in November.

Mohammed Sohail, chief of Topline Securities, said the IMF’s additional loan would support Pakistan’s external account problems.

“This will provide the much needed support to Pakistan’s external accounts which came under pressure due to a slowdown in exports and foreign investment,” he said, adding that he expected the country’s foreign exchange reserves to stabilise at between 12 and 13 billion dollars.

Sohail said that though some stability was expected in the currency market in the short run, the rupee would remain vulnerable to external flows because of the global recession.

He added that news of the extra money would likely help the Pakistani equity market, currently the most under-performing one in Asia, to rise above the key 8,000-point level.

Economist Rauf Nizamani said the IMF’s loan actually risked creating new challenges for the government and the country as a whole, by forcing it to withdraw subsidies for utilities.

Islamabad “will find itself sandwiched between its people and the IMF if it withdraws subsidies on oil, gas and power as per the IMF’s guidelines,” he said, adding that this could create political unrest.

The country is already battling an insurgency in the northwest by Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked extremists whom the United States has accused of posing an existential threat to nuclear-armed Pakistan.

It approached the IMF last year for the rescue package as it grappled with a 30-year high inflation rate and fast-depleting reserves that were barely enough to cover nine weeks of import bills.

New IMF loan insufficient for Pakistan: economists

Non-lethal force should always be used during riot situations, but this violent protesting mindset, that too out of educated students is a scourge for Pakistan.

Though i agree it should always be the first choice, i disagree that it should be the only choice.

Fromthe post we have a list of crimes including, vadalising cars and goverment buildings, breaking into homes and various student groups attacking each other. We also have people that may or not be students attacking police.
It seems to be "modern liberal" thinking that people have some sort of right to attack police officers and the police should stand there and take it. Police are in a dangerous unapreciated job to protect law abiding citizens not to be targets for bricks bats and molotov cocktails. Protest peacefully and leagally all you like.
If you attack a man you know to have a gun with a rock and get shot dont be supprised.

Back
Top Bottom