What's new

BJP plans to lure Facebook, Google, Yahoo if it comes to power

Exactly. And foreign companies will locate their data on Indian soil only when the conditions are met. - financial laws adhere to the international standards.

So you will have to trust the brand to take that decision for you. Else you can ofcourse choose a different brand.

The issue is that India claims the US government can force US companies to divulge data on Indian citizens.

By the same logic, the Indian government can force Indian companies to divulge data on foreign citizens. Indian companies operate under Indian laws, not foreign laws.

No comparison.

Anything you post on facebook is public. When you signed up, you agreed to a set of terms and conditions.

By contrast, there are strict laws around access to financial data.

They are talking about who has access to the data and control over it.

How do you sitting in australia know who's accessing your data on US servers?

If yr datas hosted on austrialian servers you directly know who's accessing it.

How do you sitting in australia know who's accessing your data on US servers?

If yr datas hosted on austrialian servers you directly know who's accessing it.

I have to trust the govt. (Australia, US or Indian) to protect my privacy.

The issue is that India claims the US government can force US companies to divulge data on Indian citizens.

By the same logic, the Indian government can force Indian companies to divulge data on foreign citizens. Indian companies operate under Indian laws, not foreign laws.
Yes. Not outside legal requests/order though.

Yes. Not outside legal requests/order though.

Understood.

However, the argument in the OP is that the US govt. can decide unilaterally to view data on Indian citizens. US govt. does not need authorization from Indian govt.

The same logic could be applied in reverse.

PS. Anyway, I think we are going in circles and, as you mentioned, nothing will come of this anyway.

Back
Top Bottom