What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

I have an objection against that. What is wrong with westernisation? Culture is supposed to evolve, and transform. If the society now want to change, let them be.

Westernization is adoption of European culture while abandoning the culture of your ancestors. For a christian or a muslim who has already abandoned his Indian culture it would be easier, but for a Hindu it would certainly be objectionable.

It would be the equivalent of abandoning your fathers name and your surname and then calling yourself the son of Churchill. Now there could be people who will argue that there is nothing wrong with that if it can get you a few $ or pounds....but there are other with self respect who would not walk down that path.

We own it to our ancestors and to our amazing continuing civilization to protect our roots and origins.

Modernization is acceptable and is needed. Cultural changes due to Modernization should be the norm.

Not Westernization. I DO NO want my daughter to get married in a white christian gown ....I certainly want an traditional Indian wedding.

Sanskrit was never spoken by more than handful people, its a dead language. If you love sansrit, give more research grant to study literature. English works really well as a language that can be understood all over india and also connects us to the rest of the world.

what culture did we lose by learning English?

I would suggest we should provide opportunity to learn another foreign language in schools (as optional)

Brazilians and other Hispanics are actually genetically half European.

So their official language is the native language of their ancestors.

OK :)

anyways

languages are already endangered ,its a natural process,if china has huge no of endangered languages(shockingly I never knew)

List of endangered languages in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so do in India
List of endangered languages in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS my Chinese frndz,r u ppl "adapting to mandarin Chinese or simple Chinese from above stated language? no intend to troll,just wanna knw

Westernization is adoption of European culture while abandoning the culture of your ancestors. For a christian or a muslim who has already abandoned his Indian culture it would be easier, but for a Hindu it would certainly be objectionable.

It would be the equivalent of abandoning your fathers name and your surname and then calling yourself the son of Churchill. Now there could be people who will argue that there is nothing wrong with that if it can get you a few $ or pounds....but there are other with self respect who would not walk down that path.

We own it to our ancestors and to our amazing continuing civilization to protect our roots and origins.

Modernization is acceptable and is needed. Cultural changes due to Modernization should be the norm.

Not Westernization. I DO NO want my daughter to get married in a white christian gown ....I certainly want an traditional Indian wedding.

your first part was MORONIC. grow up kid, ppl like u spoil India's image.
its hard for all Indians not just Hindus or Sikhs. Muslims have better chances of conservation coz their rules tend to be strict.(n now don't bring v.Malik here)

Sanskrit was never spoken by more than handful people, its a dead language. If you love sansrit, give more research grant to study literature. English works really well as a language that can be understood all over india and also connects us to the rest of the world.

what culture did we lose by learning English?

I would suggest we should provide opportunity to learn another foreign language in schools (as optional)

Sanskrit was the language of the ELITE. Today English is the language of the ELITE. But Sanskrit is certainly NOT a dead language. It is the language of our religion, our culture and our value systems. Sanskrit is more than a language, its our Sanskriti.

Almost ALL Indian regional languages has their roots in Sanskrit. Knowing sanskrit will ENSURE speakers of regional langues will understand other regional languages.

We have certainly Lost a LOT by adapting to english at the cost of regional languages and local culture. Your question itself is indicative of how much we have lost. You are NOT even aware of what has been lost.

The problem is not with English per se but because the entire intellectual discourse in the country has been hijacked by it. The "intelligentsia" seems besotted by it and harbours a proportionate contempt for Indian languages. How can fruitful exchange of ideas be conducted in an alien language and when one has to struggle to compress the natural flow of thoughts into the limited vocabulary of a foreign tongue?

And I must seek apology from my brothers from South India but to then must go a large part of blame for propagating Hindi Phobia and the resultant continuation of a foreign tongue - a situation utterly shameful for such a large nation with such a rich choice of languages. If you dont like Hindi -- take Sanskrit, but please let us get rid of this pathetic and condemnable situation of using a foreign tongue as the defacto national language.

BS and nonsense- more people speak their native toungues, study it in schools, more literature and magzines are published in local language than before. English is no longer alien, it's been with us for 300 years. Nothing wrong in using it if people are comfortable with it.

your first part was MORONIC. grow up kid, ppl like u spoil India's image.
its hard for all Indians not just Hindus or Sikhs. Muslims have better chances of conservation coz their rules tend to be strict.(n now don't bring v.Malik here)

:lol: .......so you are a muslim. Why do you have difficulties in accepting realities? ......your religion is in arabic and since everything revolves around that, you will naturally make your culture as close to arabia as possible.

You will name you kids Mohammed, you will get married in arabian culture, you will adopt arabian script and call it urdu....the list is long but you get the message.

Sanskrit was the language of the ELITE. Today English is the language of the ELITE. But Sanskrit is certainly NOT a dead language. It is the language of our religion, our culture and our value systems. Sanskrit is more than a language, its our Sanskriti.

Almost ALL Indian regional languages has their roots in Sanskrit. Knowing sanskrit will ENSURE speakers of regional langues will understand other regional languages.

We have certainly Lost a LOT by adapting to english at the cost of regional languages and local culture. Your question itself is indicative of how much we have lost. You are NOT even aware of what has been lost.

English is spoken fluently by elite, but a huge number of people speak an Indianized version of it, and still bigger number of people understand it. Its a living and breathing language in India, and its time we call it an Indian language.

Seriously , u r not.let me explain what elite means in internet:

|-|3'/ j00Z r /\/\0R0|\|1( j3R|<,PhU(|< 0PhPh
1Ph j00Z d0|\|'7 \/\/4|\||\|4 937 1|\|5UL73D

in other words
cout << die you moron;

English is spoken fluently by elite, but a huge number of people speak an Indianized version of it, and still bigger number of people understand it. Its a living and breathing language in India, and its time we call it an Indian language.

English is a global language. No need to call it Indian.

Seriously , u r not.let me explain what elite means in internet:

|-|3'/ j00Z r /\/\0R0|\|1( j3R|<,PhU(|< 0PhPh
1Ph j00Z d0|\|'7 \/\/4|\||\|4 937 1|\|5UL73D

in other words
cout << die you moron;

:lol: ....I never claimed to be elite. Maybe you perceived me to be one :azn:

:lol: .......so you are a muslim. Why do you have difficulties in accepting realities? ......your religion is in arabic and since everything revolves around that, you will naturally make your culture as close to arabia as possible.

You will name you kids Mohammed, you will get married in arabian culture, you will adopt arabian script and call it urdu....the list is long but you get the message.

are you a moron??? plz reply me that.
plus m not Muslim.

Back
Top Bottom