What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

And why is it that they have no problem with English, but only with Hindi... continuation of slavish mentality I would say. As for Hindi / Kannada, there are people called translators. Do you think Mulayam can even understand official English??

What effect did Hindi had on Marathi, Gujarati, Rajasthani, Bhojpuri, Bundeli, Awadhi and many more?
All these languages have become secondary. While English has always been the second language.

And why is it that they have no problem with English, but only with Hindi... continuation of slavish mentality I would say. As for Hindi / Kannada, there are people called translators. Do you think Mulayam can even understand official English??

Why don't Hindi speaking people learn S. Indian languages. English is regarded as neutral because it imposes the same difficulty on everyone & has no cultural bearing on the local language.

Not as silly as trying to glorify learning the mother tongue of a foreigner some 5000 miles away and then feeling very great about it.

Very silly. It doesn't matter whether the foreign language is 5000 miles away or 100 miles away. Try telling people in Karnataka that they should speak Tamil & see what happens...:lol:

But surely they were all speaking fluent English...eh??

Nope but that is hardly my point. It is yours since you are the one suggesting that Hindi is better. Many people in Bangalore can speak multiple languages but most would still be loathe to have to learn another Indian language or be forced to speak in as an imposition. English is (as Churchill would have said:P), the lesser evil.

:) usage is not objected indeed. But feeling inferior for speaking local language is indeed not good.

yes but conservatives will be there in every country..im sure even pakistan or even u.s have them..but good thing is people are thinking these days whats good and whats bad instead of blindly following others and they started to question..indian society is going through a transformation u see its interesting how people are coming out to question the govts for their rights.this was not the case a decade ago..this is a good sign in the development of a society people are becoming mature

1) I have more knowledge of India over a Pakistani.

2)Chennai is not the euphemism of entire South India. Hindi is gladly accepted in Hyderabad, in Bangalore and even in Kochi. TN is also getting it up rapidly,thanks to Bollywood.
Being a Keralite i agree..............we don't have any objection with Hindi.............But if some says Hindi above English then NO...........I remember one such instance when Mulayalam was CM of UP he wrote a letter for some information from Kerala CM (E.K Nayanar) in Hindi....................Kerala CM replied to that Letter In Malayalam..............So all Indian Language with English are Equal...........Non is Superior

When English was made official language (i assume after independence) There were more Hindi speakers than English speakers rite...
Now people will give arguments that Hindi was alien to some parts of South India but you have to optimize the effort

It would have been much easier for half of India to learn Hindi rather than adopting a foreign language spoken by very few people

ofcourse if it takes century then let it take it..65 years is very young in the history of a nation and with 100s of diversities if u coerce a nation then it disintegrates..i understand ur emotions and i respect ur opinion but ur not tryng to get my point..my mother tongue is telugu and im sure ur's is not..so lets communicate in our mother tongues and lets see how much are we comfortable with each other..thats what ur sayng till now..thanks to bollywood and saas bahu serials people are learning hindi..and its happening fast..any wrong step now might bring all the problems back..we sure dont want it do we??lets be patient

Im perhaps not able to get my point across to you very effectively. You are addressing a very very limited point - that of communication between persons with different mothertongues. OK, let me concede your point there. But do you not see what the prevalence of English, especially amongst elites and the intelligentsia has wrought -

1. There is decline in serious literary output in all Indian languages, barring honourable exceptions like Kannada. Can you recall any great literature in Hindi after the 60s. I Cant. The same goes for Urdu - a language of sublime beauty.

2. Why do we need to conduct technical courses in English when all other countries do it in their own

3. The intellectual discourse is entirely dominated by the English speakers to the exclusion of Non-English knowers, both in North and South India. This , combined with the fact that there is hardly any text in philosophy, pol science etc in English effectively means that we have not developed our own paradigms and continue to force western thought on our country.

All this is a huge price to pay for the facility English provides us for inter state communication.

Much of the Hindi spoken in Delhi is mixed heavily with Urdu. Much of the culture is also Islamized. This is what Delhi has been exporting to the rest of the country, its Islamic bias. Sanskrit would have been much better as the national language.

When English was made official language (i assume after independence) There were more Hindi speakers than English speakers rite...
Now people will give arguments that Hindi was alien to some parts of South India but you have to optimize the effort

It would have been much easier for half of India to learn Hindi rather than adopting a foreign language spoken by very few people

You are not the first one with that idea. It was tried and failed big time. The anti-Hindi agitations had almost taken a secessionist character. It is why common sense prevailed.

Btw, it wasn't English alone that is the official language. Hindi is too. The English inclusion was a concession to non-Hindi speakers. A fair one, I might add.

Back
Top Bottom